Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Dropped 3rd Strike

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:06 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Dongers Army wrote:She gets a stolen base in my book.

Why? Because I do not care enough to obsess over details.
But that is the job of the scorekeeper

Was there a passed ball? It does not sound like it.
If the catcher "drops" the ball it is a passed ball

Was there a wild pitch? It does not sound like it.
Hard to say. OP doesn't specify if the pitch hit the dirt. If so, WP

I suppose I could call it and E2, with the runner advancing on the Catchers mental error.
No such thing as a mental error in the book.

I just hope it was my daughter on first so I can pad her stats and talk up her phenomenal base stealing prowess.
True dat. Especially if it's 10u

[u]At least we all agree that the runner does not go back to first, regardless if this is 10U Rec or 18U Gold.[/[/u]quote]

No, I don't agree ... It has been many years since REC, but ... I believe that some REC organizations / age divisions have rules in place to prevent stealing or advancing on a passed ball or wild pitch ... Which is why I had edited my earlier post to indicate that ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Catcher27 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:36 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Dongers Army wrote:She gets a stolen base in my book.

Why? Because I do not care enough to obsess over details.
But that is the job of the scorekeeper

Was there a passed ball? It does not sound like it.
If the catcher "drops" the ball it is a passed ball

Was there a wild pitch? It does not sound like it.
Hard to say. OP doesn't specify if the pitch hit the dirt. If so, WP

I suppose I could call it and E2, with the runner advancing on the Catchers mental error.
No such thing as a mental error in the book.

I just hope it was my daughter on first so I can pad her stats and talk up her phenomenal base stealing prowess.
True dat. Especially if it's 10u

[u]At least we all agree that the runner does not go back to first, regardless if this is 10U Rec or 18U Gold.[/[/u]quote]

No, I don't agree ... It has been many years since REC, but ... I believe that some REC organizations / age divisions have rules in place to prevent stealing or advancing on a passed ball or wild pitch ... Which is why I had edited my earlier post to indicate that ...

Usually, if you are playing in a league or organization that is allowing dropped third strike, they will also allow the runner to advance. Stealing or advancing on a wild pitch or passed ball is usually first, then they are introduced to the dropped third strike.
Catcher27

by JOEMAN39 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 am

ok another question on drop third strike.... why do some umps call drop third strike when the ball bounces in the dirt before the catcher catches it and she holds on to it. The catcher didn't drop it she caught it,. So which is the correct ruling??? if the ball bounces in the dirt before getting to the catcher and the catcher actually catches it why would it be a drop third stirike??? Some umps call it and some don't
JOEMAN39

by jonriv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 am

pitch that hits the dirt is the same as a dropped third strike(Third strike needs to caught directly) many umps actually miss this call(hard to see from the back) Many teams instruct their players to run on all dropped third strikes- can draw an un-needed throw to first to allow the runner to go to second
jonriv

by JOEMAN39 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 am

i believe some umps believe that there is nothing in the rule books about the ball hitting the dirt before the catcher catches it so they feel it's not a drop third strike. I'm not sure but I don't think there is anything that states about a ball hitting the dirt before..... so they go with what happens after the catcher touches the ball. If they catch it then it's a drop if that catch it then it's a catch???? Just a thought..... I think most rule books just state about the catcher dropping... so how can you rule a drop when the catcher catches the ball??? again just thought...
JOEMAN39

by jonriv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 am

if it hits the ground, it is not caught
jonriv

by JOEMAN39 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 am

but how can you drop something if you don't have something - note: not trying to be smart just trying to figure out how you call it a drop when you catch it.....and if your asking a ump there nothing in the rules that states about the ball hitting the ground before the catch...So is this just a assumption deal???
JOEMAN39

by jonriv » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am

Thank you Spazdad!!!
jonriv

by JOEMAN39 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

ok .... so where is that stated in the rules or definitions......thanks jon and spaz ----
JOEMAN39

by UmpSteve » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 pm

ASA Rule 8 Section 1, B. "The batter becomes a batter-runner when the catcher fails to catch the third strike before the ball touches the ground and ....".

Using your "lack of" definition, all batters would also be out on a cleanly "caught" batted ball which hits the ground, too. The term "caught" means controlled prior to touching anything other than air or a defensive player. You can no more "catch" a pitch which has hit the ground than "catch" a one hopper batted ball.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner