Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Tired of some umps

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Iluvblue wrote:Wade,

i will agree with you that umps around here are working all sorts of rule books. that being said, wouldnt it have been better for this ump to not start yelling at me as soon as I got back to the dugout that my pitcher needs to be removed??/ Dont you think there would have been a better way? then for him to make a smart arse comment about " i dont know what rule book you are using."

It is just ridiculous IMO for umps to act like that ..... especially when they are wrong and they are the ones tasked with knowing the rules.

Sort of makes the point. Just because someone takes an assignment and money doesn't mean that the person is actually a properly trained umpire.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

MTR wrote:

i will agree with you that umps around here are working all sorts of rule books. that being said, wouldnt it have been better for this ump to not start yelling at me as soon as I got back to the dugout that my pitcher needs to be removed??/ Dont you think there would have been a better way? then for him to make a smart arse comment about " i dont know what rule book you are using."

It is just ridiculous IMO for umps to act like that ..... especially when they are wrong and they are the ones tasked with knowing the rules.

Sort of makes the point. Just because someone takes an assignment and money doesn't mean that the person is actually a properly trained umpire.

That is unfair mike. Some guys i've heard are very well trained baseball umpires working games. And you know that I've always bucked the softball trend and really liked those guys. 8-) I have advocated the point strike, 3rd base line extended, gerry davis stance, etc etc etc.. I love it so.... but alas.. it wont be..

Hey.. know what? This umpire was completely correct for baseball.

Thats probably a different sport though.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:31 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
MTR wrote:

Sort of makes the point. Just because someone takes an assignment and money doesn't mean that the person is actually a properly trained SOFTBALL umpire.

That is unfair mike. Some guys i've heard are very well trained baseball umpires working games. And you know that I've always bucked the softball trend and really liked those guys. 8-) I have advocated the point strike, 3rd base line extended, gerry davis stance, etc etc etc.. I love it so.... but alas.. it wont be..

Hey.. know what? This umpire was completely correct for baseball.

Thats probably a different sport though.

Better :D
MTR

by Sam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 am

Why would you waste a cop's time and effort for a "chest bump." Really? If the situation escalated to where someone physically tried to hurt somebody else, the police should get involved, but do we really need to bother a cop for "he touched me?"

Chest bumps are normally seen as celebratory in nature.
Last edited by Sam on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am

Sam wrote:Why would you waste a cop's time and effort for a "chest bump." Really? If the situation escalated to where someone physically tried to hurt somebody else, the police should get involved, but do we really need to bother a cop for "he touched me?"

If you need that explained to you, you are part of the problem with this country and game.
MTR

by ontheblack » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

MTR wrote:
Sam wrote:Why would you waste a cop's time and effort for a "chest bump." Really? If the situation escalated to where someone physically tried to hurt somebody else, the police should get involved, but do we really need to bother a cop for "he touched me?"

If you need that explained to you, you are part of the problem with this country and game.

That's ridiculous! In many areas of California we have an underpaid police force that is already stretched too thin and you think a chest bump warrants a call to the police? Do you have any idea the cost for this type of action? Forget the fact that by the time one shows up, the game is another inning or two old.

This behavior can certainly be handled by responsible adults. If its a coach, then immediately removed from the game and barred from any future ASA events. If its an umpire, then UIC removes ump. If a friendly, then partner is responsible and requires ump to leave and ump is barred from any future ASA events.

Zero tolerance works well. We teach our kids that actions have consequences. The lesson is ingrained when they see that it applies to us as well.
ontheblack

by BenAround » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 am

MTR wrote:

MTR musta lost LOTS of lunch money at school..........
I think, that I shall try to do the utmost to be new today
BenAround

by Sam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:57 am

MTR wrote:

Really, Mike? I've never touched an umpire and never would....after all....its just a game. I don't, however, call a cop when the situation doesn't warrant such action. A chest bump is an accidental act...a product of attempting to be heard by either the coach or the umpire. It isn't an act of physical violence perpetrated by either party. Who could possibly get hurt by a chest bump....unless it was inflicted by Dolly Parton....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Ace » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Sam, you're slippin with old age. How can you get baited into replying to yet another one of Mikes ridiculously over the top statements? I mean picture it, Mike standing with his hand on his hip saying "yes officer, i demand you arrest that man for chest bumping." honestly. :roll:
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace

by MTR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Whether you like it or not, it is assault and battery and against the law. And whether you agree with it or not, too often this is ignored and it escalates in some format then or in the future.

Most states take this so seriously, there are specific laws in place just to address this situation. I once has a Lt. Col. of the state police force intentionally bump me in an act of intimidation. Who is going to take care of that one? A couple years ago, a player who routinely got away with physical contact with umpires, but none of the umpires took legal action and it escalated to the point this MD state policeman threw a ball full strength at an umpire's head. The only thing that saved this umpire's life was an alert batter reaching out and deflecting the ball. Because of his position, no one would do anything.

There are constant issues around the country where parents and coaches attack game officials and, in some cases, each other. The only reason it got to this point is the myth that this is acceptable behvior for a human being caught up in "the heat of the game". Problem is too many legal idiots buy into this because they don't want to be the bad guy who puts some kid's father in jail. Forget the fact that these kids see that there are no repercussions for such behavior.

I really don't care what you think, I consider this the appropriate action and not specifically for myself, but for the game and other sports officials in general. And if you have a problem with that, that is just what it is, your problem, not mine.
MTR

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner