Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Worst Call in Moline !?! MG vs Birm Mustangs

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Iluvblue » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 pm

baaahwaahahahhahahahhahhahaha. ICC my arse.

Defensive player has right to field ball..... runner clobbers her while she is doing it. End of discussion.
Iluvblue

by TravelSoftballDad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

I gotta admit, taking that girls Home run away has us beat if that is true. Brutal !!

I would also really like to hear from a fellow parent or a coach on the Mustang side who wants to try to defend the no call position.
TravelSoftballDad

by Bretman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 pm

The ASA "Crash Rule" refers to a fielder who has possession of the ball and is waiting to make a tag. Doesn't seem to be the case here at all. This is a fielder in he act of fielding a batted ball and such a fielder has the right of way. The runner is obligated to not interfere, whether intentional or not.

If the "stolen" home run story is accurate, I'm shocked that umpires at the national level would call that. As described, that isn't a rule violation in any way, shape or form. Offensive coach should have filed a protest over that one.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by TravelSoftballDad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for bringing up the 'tag' scenario as I forgot that detail. No...fielder was not in the process of making the tag; as a matter of fact, she didn't even have the ball yet when rolled.
TravelSoftballDad

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 am

cent wrote:How about the worst call being in the jynx vs SJ Sting game. Jynx player hits a 2-run homer in the 7th inning to give Jynx a one run lead. Girl who hit home run as she is roundind bases gets high five from one of her players. Sting coach goes and argues that was an assist to the runner. Umpire agrees and rules home run no good and runner is out, no runs score. Score reverts back to 1-0 Sting wins and goes on to win the championship.
Might have not all facts as I was not at that game. Maybe someone can add to ths or give a better account.

Just trying to get a picture of this in my head ... As she rounded the bases she gets a high five ? ... Did this happen between home & first or third & home with a player not actively involved in the game or was it between the lines, i.e. between first & third? Was the player who high fived her R1 and did she pass her as the high fiving was happening ? Please splain if you can ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Killer Rabbit » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 am

Wow. What kind of Jedi mindtrick did they pull on the umpire? The negated home run, if true, is actually the worse call of the week.

It seemed to me that the teams that advanced due to the umpire indescressions (in our case an actual reversal of a correct call, and the above interference) the teams that advanced then lost their next two games (With the SJ Sting being the exception).

Wasn't there a controversial call or two in the final championship game between CA 95 and SJ Sting?
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comets16 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I saw the play of the MG & Mustangs live and I thought it was clearly INT. I was also told there was another controversial play that happened, in same game, where the ball is thrown to 3B, and blue says that the ball was in the glove long enough for an out. Except the fact that the ball continued to travel and hit the fence on third base side??? :o :o :o

To be a Nationals there were a lot of Bad calls....I think like last year at Normal the majority were from Illinois. The game is played a little faster and different than the teams from the State Illinois.

My favorite was the Fury 95 game vs Batbusters..

Batter received a warning that she was intentionally trying to be hit by a pitch. (Was she, may be I don't know). Very next pitch from Fury 95 throws a bad pitch, hits batter in foot and the batter is ejected from game (as umpire saw her trying to get hit by pitch. Pitch was obviously bad, IMO). The count prior to the last pitch was 3-2..The batter is ejected, then a player on Batbusters (sub) is given first base and no out given..

I just don't see how this should be the correct ruling..

Anyways I saw a lot of blown calls, bad pitches called strikes and good strikes called balls. What is worse is several umpires wouldn't agree to ask for help. They simply would say "It's my call"

Oh well, it was still fun...
Comets16

by anonlooker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Comet, good catch on the play at 3rd! I guess the blown INT call was so bad the play at 3rd got lost in the shuffle. I was watching that game, and IMO Minor's Gold got jobbed on both calls. What made it worse is both calls were late in the game, and crucial in determining the outcome. The non-INT call allowed the go ahead run to score in a tight, low scoring game.

Props to Lena (MG coach) for her restraint while "discussing" the INT call with the umpires. Many a coach might have blown a gasket, especially with the no INT call coming shortly after the 'held ball' call at 3rd.

Didn't see the Jynx HR nullified, but it cost them 2 runs in a 0-1 loss, and that just sucks. Coming that late in the tournament only amplifies the suckiness.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by anonlooker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Killer Rabbit wrote:Wow. What kind of Jedi mindtrick did they pull on the umpire? The negated home run, if true, is actually the worse call of the week.

It seemed to me that the teams that advanced due to the umpire indescressions (in our case an actual reversal of a correct call, and the above interference) the teams that advanced then lost their next two games (With the SJ Sting being the exception).

Wasn't there a controversial call or two in the final championship game between CA 95 and SJ Sting?

That would usually depend on which side you ask! :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by Bretman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Comets16 wrote:Batter received a warning that she was intentionally trying to be hit by a pitch. (Was she, may be I don't know). Very next pitch from Fury 95 throws a bad pitch, hits batter in foot and the batter is ejected from game (as umpire saw her trying to get hit by pitch. Pitch was obviously bad, IMO). The count prior to the last pitch was 3-2..The batter is ejected, then a player on Batbusters (sub) is given first base and no out given..

This is one of the crazier rulings I've heard all year!

There isn't anything in the rule book that instructs an umpire to warn a batter about trying to be hit by a pitch. There isn't any rule that says if a batter allows a pitch to hit her, she is ejected.

About the only way I could even fathom an umpire doing something like this was if he had a string of batters blatantly and obviously moving into pitches throughout the game, to the point that it was causing unessesary delays or the possibility of retaliation- and even that would be a real stretch.

Then to eject the batter on a pitch that hit her in the foot! Unless he was holding her foot out over the plate, I can't imagine thinking something like that could be intentional.

Just apply the usual hit batter rules and the situation will remedy itself. If the batter is purposely moving into the pitch so it hits her, don't award first base. Call the pitch a ball or strike depending on it's relation to the strike zone and keep her at the plate. That's a painful lesson for the batter and precisely what the rules instruct us to do.

If a batter (or any player) is ejected for some reason, there is not automatically an out called and nothing happened on this play that would negate the outcome of the pitch. If the pitch hit the batter out of the strike zone, and the umpire judged that she purposely allowed herself to be hit, then the pitch is ruled a ball. If it was a 3-2 count, then the batter is awarded first- not for being hit by a pitch, but because it is ball four. Having a sub take her place at first base would be correct- even if the ejection itself was pretty darn stupid!
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner