Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Maintance on the Pitcher mound/home plate

What's on your mind?

by Redhotz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:17 pm

We are looking at rebuilding our pitcher mound for our high school field and the home plate. we shot grade this past weekend and 3rd base was 6 inches lower than 1st base, so we will take 3 inches from 1st base side and move to 3rd base side to make it all level. But the problem is the hole in front of the pitchers mound and at home plate. How is the best way to fix the problem?
Redhotz

by Fuddrules » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:44 pm

I'd check the baseball boards out on the internet. I'm not sure you'll find much info on how to fix a mound on a fastpitch board.
Fuddrules

by starbound » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:00 pm

When we redid the local high schools softball field at home plate under the dirt they put a rubber mat. It was a couple inches below the dirt so their is no way to dig big holes in the dirt. It has been like that for a few years and it it still in great condition.

At the rubber they really packed the dirt hit it with water packed the dirt hit it with water and so on. It still always needs that kind of maintanace but it worked out real well.
starbound

by NuNu's Dad » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 am

The mats are one solution, but in big league ballparks they use clay. There are 3" by 6" clay "bricks" (Moundmaster) that you build under your top layer. You can buy them by the pallet from places like Tomark.com.

http://www.tomark.com/BaseballStore/pro ... Amendments

When you get a hole in front of the pitchers plate, just sweep off the top layer, moisten some loose clay and smoosh it together. Recover with the top layer and voila' you are ready to go. You have to keep the clay moist by watering regularly.

For more info, search on groundskeeping, field clay or soil amendments.

I built an area in my backyard for my DD to pitch including a hard cover. It was alot of work, but it is always ready to go.

The reason you get the pitchers hole on most fields is that it is just dirt. It will never fill in. Think of a sand box, no matter what you do the surface is always soft.
NuNu's Dad

by bradrhod » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm

find a brick factory in your area and ask them for unfired bricks. They are the same thing. You can get them for a lot less money, and freight from local area will be a lot cheaper.
bradrhod

by Redhotz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:49 am

Thank you NUNUDAD and BRADRHOD you all where a lot of help, REDHOTZ COACH
Redhotz

Return to Fastpitch Discussions