by carolinafan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 am
This is a question I have been meaning to post, as well, so thank you!
My DD is going into 8th grade: 1st year 14U. She plays 4 sports: field hockey, basketball, track, and softball. The field hockey and track are just middle school sports, right now. Basketball (school too) and softball are travel. She never stops going but her grades are decent.....could be all As but gets one to two Bs each marking period.....I think ok with her schedule. Anyway, this is how she has handled this question: DD always goes to in season sport first. Her school teams always play right after school, so they rarely conflict with travel practices and never conflict with weekend tournies. The biggest problem is travel basketball being year round and softball being year round. She has decided to be up front with all coaches about her schedules. This past spring, she went to most of her spring aau basketball practices, but only made one tournament game when a Sunday softball tournament got rained out. We flew up to where the basketball tournament was being played (always keeps basketball stuff in car, for just this situation) and she played in final game. Of course, she did not start the final game, but she played most of it and helped the team win.
When your DD loves more than one sport, how can you deny her the opportunity/pleasure of playing them!? I can't and I let her make her decisions. She will have a big one come this fall when her basketball travel coach switches from doing a week night league to all weekend touraments. This will directly interfere with travel softball when coach schedules fall tournaments or friendlies. She is 13 and will have to figure out where her priority lays and suck up the consequences, good or bad, of her decision. I was able to play 3 sports in HS - but then again, times have changed. I just loved the fact that when I was getting a little sick of one sport, I was getting geared up for the next.
Always be up front with the coaches involved. The worst that can happen is you need to make an adjustment or find a team that accomodates. Not easy, but doable. Good luck....I know my dd is going to need it this year!