Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

DD Being Forced to Change her Number, might leave team!

What's on your mind?

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:11 am

Well put Nunu.....
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Demonboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:13 am

Pitchermom wrote::o What would you do? DD played with this travel organization last year. She is asked to stay with them this year and agrees. Several weeks later, one of the organization's other teams folds (coaching problems). Several players, who have been with the organization for numerous years, get folded into my DD's team (which they needed a couple more players). All is good and well, except, one of the players being folded in has the same uniform number as my DD. We point this out to the coach right away and inform him DD has already expressed concern over this and does not want to change her number. My DD is the first string pitcher on her team. Tonight, at a parent meeting we are told that the player folded into our team, well, her family has been with the organization for years, and though it wasn't spoken of, her parents own a pole barn in which numerous teams on the organization practice, therefore, pretty much, since she doesn't want to change her number, they are going to stand loyal to her and not make her. My daughter is in tears. She has had this number for years herself, and feels she works hard to do what she does and her feelings shouldn't be disregarded just because the other player's parents have more cash. The organization did offer to buy her a pair of sweats and hoodie to sweeten the deal with her new number. I thought that was a pretty nice offer and tried to sway her to think of another really cool number, but that proved futile. I told my daughter that I wouldn't make her pitch under a number she didn't want, but that her only other recourse would be to change teams. She is torn and crying. I don't blame her. And frankly I'm a little put off that she's being asked to begin with. The other young lady plays outfield. My daughter is a good pitcher, 13, throws 55 mph, can throw 6 different pitches, and is known for her accuracy. Part of me wants to tell her that we have money invested in this organization and she should suck it up and choose another number. But hey, I'm just as peeved as she is about how she is being put aside, so I've told her if she wants to change teams, we would not stop her. What would you tell your daughter to do?

This is a strong argument for ASA to adopt a policy stipulating that all pitchers MUST be orphans.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Skarp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:16 am

lmao
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Lannie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:25 am

Nzane,
I understand your point. However, I have taught my DD that material things are not important. If its going to make some kid happy to get a certain number, then so be it. In our situation it worked out for the best. The kid became the laughing stock of the team! My DD and myself have had so may good laughs since the girl got her number.
Lannie

by Skarp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am

Lannie wrote:Nzane,
I understand your point. However, I have taught my DD that material things are not important. If its going to make some kid happy to get a certain number, then so be it. In our situation it worked out for the best. The kid became the laughing stock of the team! My DD and myself have had so may good laughs since the girl got her number.

It worked out for the best that this kid became the laughing stock of your team? You and DD have had lots of laughs at her expense since then? Wow. Good thing you taught her that material things aren't important.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 am

I agree with your daughter....quit....and go practice outside in the snow. Show them that you are not to be trifled with and send a message to all other teams interested in her that she is a precocious circle princess who gets her way, regardless of what might be best for the entire team. Force the team to give you the number, force the other girl to leave, and then your entire team can practice outside in the snow. Numbers are important...if it weren't for that specific number, your DD would have no self esteem and would not be able to perform.

I would suggest that you purchase a bucket of orange softballs....they are easier to locate in the snow.

Do you ask the opponents to stop cheering when she pitches because it upsets her concentration?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by whatever » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 am

Sam - stop it. I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard.
whatever

by Cannonball » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:09 am

Sam, et.al.,

Why wouldn't this same argument be applied to the people joining her team? In other words, if they don't get their way, they'll take their pole barn and go home. What next, my child hits 3rd AND plays SS? I'm absolutely amazed that people elect to attack instead of realizing that the issue is much more than one young player keeping her number. I absolutely agree that this team is in big trouble regardless of whether this young lady stays or goes. Now, if I have a bigger pole barn, can my DD be the #1 pitcher? (FYI, I have my own pole barn! LOL!)
Last edited by Cannonball on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by mozzy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:09 am

I still believe that the character issue in this situation should not be overlooked. I know that these are 13 year old girls that we are talking about, but when you think about talented, successfull athletes, which do you admire more--the talented, hard-working, compassionate, humble athlete---or the talented, hardworking, self-centered athlete? I know that teen-age girls have that mind-set (I work in a high school) but the ones that really stand out are those that handle their own "drama" quitely and humbly.
Of course they're not teenagers---but who do you think more people admire----Lou Gehrig or Barry Bonds? I guess that each person has their own opinions as to what qualities are important to develope in young athletes.
And on the subject of having a team number---every athlete probably dreams of having his/her number retired and hanging on an outfield fence of their own beloved stadium. Most of these retired jersey symbols DO have the player's NAME above that jersey number. It's nice to be known as 'ol #9' or whatever number, but isn't it more thrilling to have her family name up there?
mozzy

by Demonboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:11 am

whatever wrote:Sam - stop it. I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

I just sprayed my monitor! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions