Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

DD Being Forced to Change her Number, might leave team!

What's on your mind?

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:16 am

Lannie wrote:My DD wore # 12 for several years. When it came time for her to play varsity. The number was availble. Another girl wanted the number so my DD more than willingly gave up the number. Reason being....... Yes, she was upset at first, but after a few days of reasoning she decided to give it up. After a couple of games it was forgotten about. Her new number is #6 now and she is the starting pitcher, the other girl is a sub and see's playing time very seldom. Me and her mother have gotten a big kick out of this because the girl that wanted 12 so bad didnt realize that the uniform is to small for her and makes her look like the Michelin man. He shorts ride up her crack and now everyone is making fun of her. Her motive for wanting the number was b/c she wanted to piss my DD off. Our moto is throw them curve balls and changups. Keep them guessing about what makes you tick!
Everyone remembers that my daughter gave up her number so someone else could be happy. I would rather everyone remember my DD as being generous, compassionate and mature. I dont want my DD being remembered as being selfish and self conceited.

I disagree. It's not being selffish and conceited. She was ON the team. This other girl is just coming on. No way should she have to give up her number. I could see if they all joined at the same time, then, you MAY seem selfish and conceited if you complain about your number. It doesn't seem like alot, but to some, a number is very important to them. And to have it pulled from you to give to someone else?? Ouch.........
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by justadad » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:23 am

I feel your pain. This would upset my DD as well. Why should you have to be "the bigger man"???

Organization seems to have handled poorly. The girl on the continuing team should be the one given number priority. This not being the case, maybe they let the two pick a number between 1 and 10....

Nevertheless, you need to decide if YOU want to "get over it" and choose a new number or find another team. This is not fair but, unfortunately, it looks like your choice to make.

Also think #1 pitcher takes priority over a position player; they earn it with their above the call "hard work", and yes, they do work harder than other players....
justadad

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 am

I agree. Girls on the team should be given priority. Then, the new girls pick their numbers. Thats really odd for a Coach to do that, ESPECIALLY to their #1 pitcher....
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by hotwheels » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 am

I think Nzane is right on. You have to make your returning players feel wanted and if a number is what does it, then so be it. I guarantee that if the number is that important to one player on the team is that important to the other parents and we all know parents talk. Keep 12 players parents relatively happy and you have a successful team, keep one players parents happy and you have "A MESS"
hotwheels

by jofus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:33 am

"Several players, who have been with the organization for numerous years, get folded into my DD's team "...

So, which gets priority, length of time with the specific "team", or length of time within the organization?
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:41 am

Personally, my opinion, I would say team.
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:41 am

hotwheels wrote:I think Nzane is right on. You have to make your returning players feel wanted and if a number is what does it, then so be it. I guarantee that if the number is that important to one player on the team is that important to the other parents and we all know parents talk. Keep 12 players parents relatively happy and you have a successful team, keep one players parents happy and you have "A MESS"

:lol: ;) :D
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Tucson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:49 am

Let us know what she decides. I am glad some other posters see your side, too. If this is going to fester all season, it is only going to get worse,

What, if any, was your DD's relationship with the other girl before this numbers thing came up?

Do I hear this right, the team is going to buy your daughter (and only her) a set of warm ups? That doesn't seem right either. I think I would have DD find a team where everyone is treated fairly.
Tucson

by Nzane » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:54 am

Tucson wrote:
Do I hear this right, the team is going to buy your daughter (and only her) a set of warm ups? That doesn't seem right either. I think I would have DD find a team where everyone is treated fairly.

Or, I'd at least holdout for $100 and, maybe 4 season passes to Disneyland??? :twisted: :evil: :lol: :D
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by NuNu's Dad » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:03 am

From a management standpoint, this was handled poorly. It is almost a good example of what NOT to do. To put it on a 13yo girl is reprehensible.

Many coaches really agonize over adding players to a tight cohesive team. Adding 1 kid can sometimes destroy the delicate chemistry of the team. Nevermind the organization, these girls are a team. They have played and practiced together and have each others trust. When the team chemistry is broken, the team can implode in the ugliest way possible. He already has a difficult job adding new girls into the mix without pouring fuel on the fire.

The manager has an agenda (duh) and violated these girls trust! Every existing girl on the team knows it, and knows that they might be next in other ways. None of them will forget, and when opportunities present themselves their decisions will be easier to make.

This situation was very easily handled. The existing team member keeps her number, unless she willingly surrenders it. If she refuses, the coach really has no choice but to have that difficult conversation with the pole-barn parents. Then it is up to them. The coaches are between a rock and a hard place, but at least he has the morally high ground with all the team members.

He may lose a polebarn, but at least he won't "lose" the team.
NuNu's Dad

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions