Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

DD Being Forced to Change her Number, might leave team!

What's on your mind?

by Bucket Mom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15 pm

I hope I did not offend you in any way. Your question was "what would you do?" I think you have received several opinions of what others would do and you have the right to disagree, but you got what you asked for.

Like I said, we are in the same situation and my daughter is a pitcher, as well. I am not sure what her being a pitcher has to do with anything, but it happened, it sucked and she has decided to move on.
Bucket Mom

by #9's mom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 pm

My daughter was number 11 until entering high school. She was the varsity pitcher as a freshman but an older player already had that number. The other player was nice enough to offer to give it up but she already had her lettermans jacket with #11 so my daughter chose #9 instead. Then she joined the Batbusters and they didn't have a #9 jersey so the coach had them made for her, after all, that number had broken records in high school softball and it seemed pretty "lucky". LoL. When she is offered a scholarship at the college she's always wanted to go to, part of the deal is that she will get #9 and nobody else had that number so it seemed perfect. Well she gets to school in the fall (she is the scholarship player) and they gave the number to a transfer who doesn't even start and my daughter got #99. Of course I was pissed because I have a #9 tattoo on my wrist, but what could I do, nothing. My daughter said "mom, it's okay, as long as my jersey gets retired as #9. Well, she's a senior this year so her jersey hasn't been retired but she had 2 outstanding college seasons with that number( and we're hoping for another one) but a not so good one with #99. The moral of the story is to pick your battles wisely and let GOD take care of the rest. Pitchersmom, maybe your daughter is destined to have a different number , who knows!!!

Suzie
#9's mom

by Rotatorcuff » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:17 am

Ask them what its worth? If your dd has seniority on this team and they want your dd to change numbers, I'd offer two solutions:
1. Have them pay for your dd's new uniforms
2. Have them buy your dd a new bat - Stealth is a pretty nice bat

Seriously, if they are asking your dd to change numbers and they are moving on to your team(folded into) , you should try to work it out. This is about a TEAM, right? You should be able to come to an amicable solution. It is just a number and shouldn't have any bearing on the performance or skills of your dd.

Rotatorcuff
Rotatorcuff

by Skarp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:45 am

Pitchermom wrote::o What would you do?

I would reconcile myself to the fact that the other kid brings more to the organization than my kid does, tell my kid to choose a new number and move on. Then, on the next rainy day that my team is practicing while other teams cannot, I would personally thank the other girl's parents for their generous commitment of resources to the team.

This thread reminds me of the similarly absurd hysteria evoked by legacy admissions to elite universities ("What's that Yale? You value the Winchesters' $100 million more than my above-average intellect? How unfair!!"). The bottom line is that money talks, and usually it should.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by greenandblue » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:59 am

The fact that your daughter is the starting pitcher has nothing to do with keeping her number. Your daughter is already on the team, the other player is coming on to the team. I really think it's a no-brainer, your daughter should not have to give up her number. Actually, it sounds like the beginning of many problems if this organization made such a stupid decision. I would actively look for a different organization.

Also, please remember that your daughter is only 13 years old.
greenandblue

by Tucson » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:26 am

I have been wondering how the 2 girls are going to get along on a team together, especially, if this is how the team is run. It sounds like a long summer to me. Remember, these are girls. (And I am, too) We never forget.
Tucson

by Mr. Burns » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:05 am

Flip a coin.

Or, if her number is say 7, change to 77, that would be twice as good.
Mr. Burns

by jofus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 am

If my DD (who turns 13 next month) threatened to quit over a number, it would upset me that she was acting that way. You say your daughter was on the team first, but the other girl was with the organization first, right? Like someone else mentioned, she lost her team, not just her number.

Oh, and I've yet to see a pitcher that didn't have a pitch hit to the outfield occasionally, and I sure haven't seen many pitchers trucking it out to the fence after the ball when they do give up the hit ;)

Other than in T-ball maybe :D
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Lannie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:21 am

My DD wore # 12 for several years. When it came time for her to play varsity. The number was availble. Another girl wanted the number so my DD more than willingly gave up the number. Reason being....... Yes, she was upset at first, but after a few days of reasoning she decided to give it up. After a couple of games it was forgotten about. Her new number is #6 now and she is the starting pitcher, the other girl is a sub and see's playing time very seldom. Me and her mother have gotten a big kick out of this because the girl that wanted 12 so bad didnt realize that the uniform is to small for her and makes her look like the Michelin man. He shorts ride up her crack and now everyone is making fun of her. Her motive for wanting the number was b/c she wanted to piss my DD off. Our moto is throw them curve balls and changups. Keep them guessing about what makes you tick!
Everyone remembers that my daughter gave up her number so someone else could be happy. I would rather everyone remember my DD as being generous, compassionate and mature. I dont want my DD being remembered as being selfish and self conceited.
Lannie

by Bleacher Mom » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:57 am

First I have to say I understand why your DD is upset. I am sure she feels like she got the shaft. Everyone that has mentioned money talks is correct. Sometimes it stinks, but it is a fact of life that will continue her entire life.
Kids, especially teenagers like to feel that they have some input in the situation. I think the Coach or Manager should have asked your DD and the other girl to try to work it between themselves. (Maybe that would have included a game of rock, paper, scissors.) Of course under supervision so it didn't get out of control. If she lost, she still would have been upset, but atleast she would have been part of the decision.
Just my 2 cents.
Bleacher Mom

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions