Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Chatter?

What's on your mind?

by Cannonball » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I've always found the concept of "chatter" in fastpitch softball to be intriguing. One coach, when my dd was younger, said he liked chatter because it made the girls stay focused on the game. We didn't play for them long. I've never like the chants etc. geared at the other team. In fact, I consider much of that unsportsmanlike. Instead, we ask our team to root for our team only. We played a 16U tournament this weekend and one team was obnoxious with their antics. However, we persevered. It was funny how quiet that bench got when we finally took the lead. I've seen team try to intimidate the other team by getting on the infield first to do their chants, by chanting as the opposing pitcher is warming up and by chanting after the game about how great a victory they've had. Is there really a place for this in this sport?
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by slider201 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Years ago the opposing team was doing that chant about the pitcher having a big butt (my DD was F4). Our pitcher was laughing so hard she miss threw a few. We won anyway. Everyone had a good time.
Last edited by slider201 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Media idiots: learn the meaning of the word troop(s). A soldier is not a troop, stupid.
troop: 1 a: a group of soldiers; b: a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company; c: plural: armed forces soldiers
slider201

by DonnieS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Its part of the fun of coaching girls.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by umpinva » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm

slider201 wrote:Years ago the opposing team was doing that chant about the pitcher having a big butt (my DD was F2). Our pitcher was laughing so hard she miss threw a few. We won anyway. Everyone had a good time.

I address sportsmanship at the plate conference. When I hear negative chants geared toward an opposing player or team, I ask the coach of the team delivering the negative chants to make them stop immediately.
umpinva

by Nzane » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 am

I am really high on my girls talking in the Dugout and when they are playing infield. But, never negatively. It's never about the other team............
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by jofus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Back in ancient history when I played little league, the "chatter" rules were pretty much non-existant. I used to love to talk to the batters when I was catching.

One coach hated me for it, and of course he ended up coaching all stars that year :|
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by umpinva » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:33 pm

jofus wrote:Back in ancient history when I played little league, the "chatter" rules were pretty much non-existant. I used to love to talk to the batters when I was catching.

One coach hated me for it, and of course he ended up coaching all stars that year :|

I had a catcher crack me up. Her pitcher was throwing a lot of heat. When the batter swung and missed or a called strike wizzed by, as the catcher was returning the ball to F1 she's say "here ya go batter, better take a peek at the ball now because you're not going to see it again until I toss it back to my pitcher".
umpinva

by Coach_Gonzalez » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:02 am

The chants are pretty annoying in my eyes, and ears for that matter, but constructive cheering is much appreciated. I don't believe in a team being in the dugout and sitting on the bench. You should be involved 100% of the time, and cheering on your teammates. You should always know the situation and be looking at the defensive positioning. Yeah a little trash talk is healthy, but cmon...the cheerleading needs to stop. Be constructive in what you say.
Coach_Gonzalez

by NavinR » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 am

I remember watching Texas play at the then Kia Classic in Fullerton (I believe Cat was a freshman). Whenever a Texas batter got a three ball count, the bench would yell "Three balls, ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha". It still cracks me up.
"Don't Whine, Don't Complain, Don't Make Excuses"
John Wooden
NavinR

by Demonboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Coach_Gonzalez wrote:The chants are pretty annoying in my eyes, and ears for that matter, but constructive cheering is much appreciated. I don't believe in a team being in the dugout and sitting on the bench. You should be involved 100% of the time, and cheering on your teammates. You should always know the situation and be looking at the defensive positioning. Yeah a little trash talk is healthy, but cmon...the cheerleading needs to stop. Be constructive in what you say.

Yeah. No fun allowed.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions