Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Are pitching rules enforced adequately?

What's on your mind?

by The Big Dog » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:37 pm

The wording of the rule is along the lines of the pitcher having both feet on the pitching plate and taking the sign or 'simulate taking the sign'. This is to prevent girls from using a 'walk-up' to initiate the pitch. I don't think there is any mention about length of pause...

As for 'presenting the ball' - common misconception and no such thing required. The ball can be in either hand when the hands come together to start the pitch. Some pitchers purposely never take the ball out of their gloves upon receipt so the batter will only see it at delivery.

Any blues out there that can quote chapter and verse?
The Big Dog

by jofus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:38 pm

Big Dog, I could be wrong, but I think that rule varies among different sanctioning bodies (the "presenting the ball" rule), just like having one foot or 2 on the rubber.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:19 pm

We were playing in a 16u tournament and the pitcher had her foot a good 2 inches off the plate. Told the coach to watch for it and she talked to the blue. After she had the talk he called it for every pitch. Next girl comes in and starts to do the same thing. No call, but it doesn't matter, we were losing and didn't need to worry about. If you can't score you can't win, regarless.
Sftbll4ever

by Rotatorcuff » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Big Dog - you are correct
"As for 'presenting the ball' - common misconception and no such thing required. The ball can be in either hand when the hands come together to start the pitch. Some pitchers purposely never take the ball out of their gloves upon receipt so the batter will only see it at delivery."

There is no such thing as "presenting the ball" in the current ASA rule book. I have had countless debates over this so called rule and have searched the rule book from cover to cover. Even had blues call her for this non existent rule. My DDs last coach would not let her keep the ball in the glove hand. It irked me to no end. I had worked on her prepitch routine to keep the ball in the glove hand. Get her grip, and then start the delivery. He wiped this routine out in a week so now she grips the ball with her arm by her side, where all can see her grip and which pitch she is going to throw. After a full winterball season of doing this, (she's no longer playing for that team) I have to start over again.

Her pitching coach says to hide the ball as long as possible and never let them see your grip. I agree 100%.

Rotatorcuff
Rotatorcuff

by MTR » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:26 pm

ASA 6.FP.D

While on the pitching plate, the pitcher shall take the ignal or appear to be taking a signal with the hands separated. The ball must remain in either the glove or pitching hand.

RS 40.B.Signal

A pitcher must take a signal or simulate taking a signal from the catcher wihle in contact with the pitcher's plate as described in A. ....... Taking or simulating taking a signal prevents the pitcher from walking into the pitcher's plate and putting the batter at a disadvantage by throwing a quick pitch. The actual signal may be taken from the catcher, dugout or any other location.

IOW, the rule is there to slow the pitcher down and insure the pitcher comes to a stop prior to beginning their delivery.
MTR

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions