Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

UCLA leaving Pac 9 softball

What's on your mind?

by Schmick » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 pm

So.... USC and UCLA are leaving the Pac 12 for the Big 10 and this may happen as early as 2024.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... 12-big-ten

What does this do the the "Conference of Champions" to lose the winningest softball program in the nation to the Big 10? How do the remaining 8 softball programs in the conference continue to recruit Southern California kids when there may not be any chance for those kids to come play infront of their friends and family in Westwood?

With Oklahoma and Texas poised to begin play in the SEC, the Big 10 had to make a move and took the 2 schools in LA out of the Pac.

Sources have said that the Pac 12 Network pays each school in the conference about 32 million dollars a year. The same sources show that the Big 10 Network pays each of their schools 57 million dollars a year. That's 25 million reasons for UCLA to make the move.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveball496 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 am

In the Pac-X the value of X is the question. Rather than chasing conference teams, another angle is to pursue talent with NIL's. How much is a Natty worth? Pay that to the kids and UNLV has a bad a$$ team.
curveball496

by Schmick » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:57 am

If I'm throwing NIL money at softball I'm going to Australia or some other countries where the boys grow up playing fastpitch and I'm buying a dozen or.more of them.
As long as the ncaa is going to permit girls to play football and baseball, they have to allow boys to play softball.
You stick a drop 10 bat in a 20 year old male, who grew up playing fastpitch's, hands and give him a 210 foot fence and the HR records are going to be smashed. Especially when the pitcher is throwing the ball 10-15 MPH slower than what he is used to seeing.

In the Pac 12, USC and UCLA made about 30 million dollars a year off their conferences TV contract. The Big 10 paid their teams twice that in 2021/2022 and they are expecting the new Big 10 deal to hand each team close to 100 million a year. That will greatly upgrade the facilities in Westwood and Los Angeles and this may finally put some pressure on USC to start a softball program since EVERY other school in that conference has a softball team.

Maybe the Trojans can throw a few million at Patty Gasso and get her to come home to So Cal and build a program.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:34 pm

Schmick wrote:If I'm throwing NIL money at softball I'm going to Australia or some other countries where the boys grow up playing fastpitch and I'm buying a dozen or.more of them.
As long as the ncaa is going to permit girls to play football and baseball, they have to allow boys to play softball.
You stick a drop 10 bat in a 20 year old male, who grew up playing fastpitch's, hands and give him a 210 foot fence and the HR records are going to be smashed. Especially when the pitcher is throwing the ball 10-15 MPH slower than what he is used to seeing.

In the Pac 12, USC and UCLA made about 30 million dollars a year off their conferences TV contract. The Big 10 paid their teams twice that in 2021/2022 and they are expecting the new Big 10 deal to hand each team close to 100 million a year. That will greatly upgrade the facilities in Westwood and Los Angeles and this may finally put some pressure on USC to start a softball program since EVERY other school in that conference has a softball team.

Maybe the Trojans can throw a few million at Patty Gasso and get her to come home to So Cal and build a program.

Dude you lost me. When did UCLA joining the Big Ten mean that guys were playing softball? Plus in my experience most dudes don’t stand a chance against most Fastpitch pitchers
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:41 pm

DirtyRiders wrote:
Schmick wrote:If I'm throwing NIL money at softball I'm going to Australia or some other countries where the boys grow up playing fastpitch and I'm buying a dozen or.more of them.

Dude you lost me. When did UCLA joining the Big Ten mean that guys were playing softball? Plus in my experience most dudes don’t stand a chance against most Fastpitch pitchers

The dudes playing softball was in reference to the NIL money.
And your experience doesn't include guys that play fastpitch. A baseball player will adjust to fastpitch in a couple at bats but in other countries, Australia for example, the boys grow up playing fastpitch softball.
I did a few gloves for an Australian family that was here last summer and the son, who was 19 at the time was also a fastpitch player. Kid could hit 82 MPH with his rise ball and hit everything his 17 year old sister threw to him over the 215' fence, at our local softball field, by at least 70 feet. Both of his kids that pitched had a bit of a hop to their wind up but she was throwing low to mid 60s.

What UCLA and USC going to the Big 10 does is hopefully put some pressure on USC to start a softball program. In the Pac there were always other teams that didn't softball so USC had a "whatabout" excuse to not have a team. In the Big 10 all 14 schools have softball programs, now it is 15 out of 16 and USC would have a more viable program than 14 of those 15 solely based on the amount of great softball players who live within 100 miles of USCs campus.
However, softball, like baseball isn't a travel partner sport. Schools aren't playing 2 road games vs 2 schools near each other in one weekend like they do in basketball. For softball or baseball you play 3 games vs the same school so that may give USC an out for softball.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions