Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

JC

What's on your mind?

JC

by shortslappy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:49 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but it’s good to see the same regulars dishing out the wisdom.

After losing almost a year from an injury, my DD worked her way back onto the field and is now juggling multiple out-of-state offers. From the get-go, she wanted to go to a small, faith-based school - AKA expensive private school. Although her offers include both athletic and academic scholarships, there’s still some significant out-of-pocket costs. With the uncertainty of the upcoming year and the bigger-than-usual rosters due to the extra year of eligibility, I would like her to consider the more conservative local JCs.

Anyone have any compelling insight about the JC route?
shortslappy

by eclipse09 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:01 am

shortslappy wrote:It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but it’s good to see the same regulars dishing out the wisdom.

After losing almost a year from an injury, my DD worked her way back onto the field and is now juggling multiple out-of-state offers. From the get-go, she wanted to go to a small, faith-based school - AKA expensive private school. Although her offers include both athletic and academic scholarships, there’s still some significant out-of-pocket costs. With the uncertainty of the upcoming year and the bigger-than-usual rosters due to the extra year of eligibility, I would like her to consider the more conservative local JCs.

Not sure how compelling, but my kid had some friends go the JC route and it worked out well. They were able to play quite a bit, get up to speed on their studies and also be recruited. Her friend ended up at a smaller Div III on the east coast and is doing well. Also getting most of GE done at a JC will save quite a bit of money. Good luck!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:15 am

eclipse09 wrote:
shortslappy wrote:It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but it’s good to see the same regulars dishing out the wisdom.

Not sure how compelling, but my kid had some friends go the JC route and it worked out well. They were able to play quite a bit, get up to speed on their studies and also be recruited. Her friend ended up at a smaller Div III on the east coast and is doing well. Also getting most of GE done at a JC will save quite a bit of money. Good luck!

Good advice IMO, and if she is interested in getting out of CA, many out of state JC offer athletic scholarships. In TN, JCs are already reasonable so if you add in some softball money, you're going to save a lot.

Good luck.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions