Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Best College Softball Programs No One Talks About

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am

dusty wrote:D3: Va Wesleyan. Won back to back natty's in '17 & '18. Coach Elliot is a young guy that his players love playing for. During my dd's recruiting years he was the only coach to send hand-written notes and postcards to her.

D1: Lehigh. D1 recruiting is usually a nightmare dealing with the revolving door of incoming and outgoing coaches but not here. Coach Troyan has been there over 20 years and is the second coach in program history following his wife who left to coach the Lehigh women's bball team. My dd would have ended up here but they couldn't come up with enough money as a private by the time the school she committed to came along as a in-state public with a similar academic profile.

Lehigh's financial aid is similar to the Ivy's but unlike them they do offer some athletic scholarship money. As a general rule of thumb when applying for financial aid at schools like this money in your dd's name (529, UTMA, trusts) hurts her ability to qualify while money in yours or dw's name (roth, IRA, 401k, Life Ins) will at least not count against her ability to qualify.

Had similar dealings with Coach Troyan Great campus and the library is amazing
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Schmick wrote:Academic Grants, Athletic Grants and FAFSA and you can get through D3 schools pretty well. Co-worker paid less per year for his daughter to go play at Pitzer than he spent to send her to Santa Margarita High School

Yup agree. My kid has very low tuition costs thanks to all of the above. :)
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Els489 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Wow! Thank you for all the great replies. You have all opened my eyes and we have a lot of options to discuss. Much luck to everyone getting through these challenging times. Stay healthy!

Steve
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dusty » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 am

Now I remember my dd saying she got a handwritten letter from Coach Troyan from the airport after IDT when he knew she was highly likely to commit elsewhere (he joked with the coach she committed to, never took it personally). The other thing that makes Troyan an exception in college coaching is that if he promises your dd money he won't pull it from her to give to the next bright, shiny prospect or potential transfer recruit that comes along afterwards.
dusty

by Melissar305 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:29 pm

dusty wrote:Now I remember my dd saying she got a handwritten letter from Coach Troyan from the airport after IDT when he knew she was highly likely to commit elsewhere (he joked with the coach she committed to, never took it personally). The other thing that makes Troyan an exception in college coaching is that if he promises your dd money he won't pull it from her to give to the next bright, shiny prospect or potential transfer recruit that comes along afterwards.

There are some TB coaches on The Bucket who believe that athletic scholarships for equivalency sports, like softball, are guaranteed for the entire tenure of a student athlete's college experience. Thank you for bringing a much needed moment of clarity to The Bucket.
Melissar305

by Melissar305 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Melissar305 wrote:
dusty wrote:Now I remember my dd saying she got a handwritten letter from Coach Troyan from the airport after IDT when he knew she was highly likely to commit elsewhere (he joked with the coach she committed to, never took it personally). The other thing that makes Troyan an exception in college coaching is that if he promises your dd money he won't pull it from her to give to the next bright, shiny prospect or potential transfer recruit that comes along afterwards.

There are some TB coaches on The Bucket who believe that athletic scholarships for equivalency sports, like softball, are guaranteed for the entire tenure of a student athlete's college experience. Thank you for bringing a much needed moment of clarity to The Bucket.

That is the case for the power 5 conferences

Is there ANY topic in these forums where you aren't the expert authority? That's a fair question.
Melissar305

by dusty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:26 am

I can't believe I'm about to jump in on a spaz internet feud but here goes...

My kid is on a P5 roster and does not have a guaranteed four year ride, she renews every year and may get more or less every year. She has performed very well relative to expectations and has maintained the same 50% ride (our pre-paid tuition covers the rest) and will continue to get that level in her upcoming junior year. That said, her program does have 12 guaranteed four year full rides to give out in full or in part at the coach's discretion. The P5 rosters are most commonly financed by some combination of four year fully guaranteed rides and yearly renewable ones.

What was fairly unique to her situation is that she committed late (summer between Jr & Sr yr) and came in a couple of years into a coaching change where the word was that the former coaching staff new they were on the way out so the HC handcuffed the program by giving out as many guaranteed full rides as possible starting with the kids riding the bench.

We were never in it for the money to begin with and my kid didn't pre-spend the four year full ride on travel ball so she couldn't be happier just to put on a jersey with her state on it and go compete. Parents don't compare financing notes with other parents so I don't know who's getting what but I get the impression the four year guaranteed full ride is mixed blessing for SA's. Some get injured and never perform to the value of their scholarships and some feel the heat of performance expectations and underproduce. I've seen some have that deer in the headlights look at first but grow up fast and adapt to college SA life.

So there ya go, a little something for both of you.
dusty

by dusty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:54 pm

It's the difference in terminology that causes confusion everywhere softball is discussed on the internet.

What you posted are the P5 rules for "athletic scholarships" but what my kid has is a "athletic grant-in-aid". All the P5 teams have 12 full four year guaranteed scholarships and some combo of grant/academic/etc. funding. If all they had were the 12 four year guaranteed athletic scholarships than rosters would be a lot smaller even after accounting for the pure walk-ons who aren't getting anything.
dusty

by WhoMe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:11 pm

dusty wrote:It's the difference in terminology that causes confusion everywhere softball is discussed on the internet.

What you posted are the P5 rules for "athletic scholarships" but what my kid has is a "athletic grant-in-aid". All the P5 teams have 12 full four year guaranteed scholarships and some combo of grant/academic/etc. funding. If all they had were the 12 four year guaranteed athletic scholarships than rosters would be a lot smaller even after accounting for the pure walk-ons who aren't getting anything.

Athletic Grant in Aid is the scholarship and, as Spaz said, P5 coaches can not reduce or revoke a student athletes scholarship (GIA) unless a player repeatedly violates written team rules, is rendered academically ineligible or is no longer enrolled.

Most D1 schools outside of the P5 are pretty strict with their coaches on why they can reduce or revoke as well.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Melissar305 wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Melissar305 wrote:

That is the case for the power 5 conferences

Is there ANY topic in these forums where you aren't the expert authority? That's a fair question.

He is correct though. Truth is a tough thing
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions