Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Why the rush to have tryouts?

What's on your mind?

by Schmick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Every senior from the HS my kid is at, the last 3 or so years that I have paid attention has gone on to play in college. Not all went to P5 D1 schools but all have gone on to play at a 4 year University somewhere. Granted, only the elite travel ball players play all 4 years at that HS as the park and rec and lower tiered travel players are weeded out by being kept on the frosh/soph and JV teams for multiple years and never making Varsity
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:49 pm

There is plenty of opportunity for PGF girls to play college softball if that is the path they choose. Some may play for Oregon or UCLA, while others may play for Barstow Community College or Southern Baptist University. I would never put pressure on my daughter to make her believe the only path to attend the college of her choice was via an athletic scholarship. That's just another stress in life she doesn't need.

I like her playing PGF because it's fun and they have the best competition. Anything beyond that is gravy. I've seen parents who push their kids, thinking it's going to make them play better. That drive has to come from within, or it ain't going to come at all.

There has been more than one set of disappointed parents who had their hearts broken, when their highly coveted daughter told them she was done with softball after her last high school game. Girl's interests change as they become women. I read a statistic that claimed on average, college softball players only play for 2 years before they quit the game. I'm just saying it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in that one basket. I suspect most of you agree with that axiom.
TheTownUSA

by Schmick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:32 pm

The school of my kids choice (Pepperdine) doesn't even have a softball team so she can either give up softball when it's time to go to college or choose a different college and continue to play softball
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions