Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Covid at USA Preps

What's on your mind?

by Melissar305 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:34 pm

curveball496 wrote:As was discovered in NorCal, keeping this genii in the bottle is pretty much impossible. We are connected in ways that are simply not controllable w/field policies alone. Prisoners moved from Chino to San Quentin. A prison guard, his daughter and her friend. And a small softball friendly. Moreover, healthy people are getting very sick. Sick enough to swamp hospitals in Miami, NYC, Houston, Phoenix and I suspect most of them have parents, many of whom are quite a bit more vulnerable. The patchwork application of tactics without coordination is failing. And softball is a microcosm of this failure.

"The patchwork application of tactics without coordination is failing. And softball is a microcosm of this failure."

Amen to that brother! That's why we need a NATIONAL STRATEGY to attack this virus. Piecemeal efforts by incompetent governors, like in Florida, Texas, Arizona and Georgia is only prolonging the crisis. Until these idiots pull their heads out of their collective asses, and as long as Trump is in the White House, this virus will be with us.

People were sad that the graduating class of 2020 didn't get to have a senior prom or commencement ceremony. That will also be the case for the classes of 2021, 2022 and maybe 2023 if Donald Trump is reelected to office. Denial is NO way to tackle ANY kind of problem.

It's really up to you as to what kind of America you want your children to grow up in. It didn't have to be this way. Competent government matters. President Obama proved that during the Ebola pandemic of 2014. Obama knew we had to fight the virus over there, so we didn't have to fight it over here. Sound familiar?

A lot of uninformed and ignorant people often refer to the "Deep State" because they heard it on Fox News, but they don't really know what it means. Allow me to enlighten you. The "Deep State" is what allows Americans to go to bed at night, knowing that when they wake up in the morning, it will be in a country where life is still worth living. THAT is the job of the "Deep State". The "Deep State" is what allowed America to become the leader of the free world. Sadly, Trump has been working diligently to dismantle it. That's why we are where we are today.
Melissar305

by Melissar305 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:42 pm

dthomca wrote:I'm one of the "assholes" that was there and my daughter's team is one that got shut down. In my opinion USA Preps put together a well organized, well thought out showcase in this environment. They did their best to isolate exposure, keeping pools of teams (and umpires) at a single location for the duration, actively policing any spectators behind backstops, restricting access to bleachers and putting non-active players in the bleachers once dugout capacity was reached, etc. Once the positive test was reported, they swiftly informed all teams involved and, after some back and forth, ultimately closed the facility and cancelled all subsequent games at that park. I don't think that their motives are completely absent of financial incentive, but they also didn't strong-arm 160+ teams into participating - all went in knowing the potential for exposure and clearly felt that enough protocols were in place to manage the risk (no, I don't work for them nor does my daughter play for one of Hansen's teams, and the GED wasn't required for the Master's program I completed....).

That being said, the issue currently at hand is not the possible exposure to potentially infected participants; it is the blatant, intentional, selfish disregard to the rules of the tournament and willful exposure of other participants by a KNOWINGLY EXPOSED player (and their parents) that ultimately affected ~1800 people.

Please understand these facts:
* this player (a minor) was tested on Sunday or Monday (we were told it was 5 days previous to the report)
* this player or parents apparently did not inform their coach or teammates
* this player (and parents) consciously chose to travel to and participate in this event while awaiting their results instead of quarantining themselves until they received the results as directed.

I think it's fair to say that the player likely had enough symptoms to prompt a test to start with (and had to do so with their parent's consent), so this was in no way unintentional.

Unfortunately we as a country missed our opportunity to contain this virus due to inconsistent protocols and other factors which discussion of would deviate from the point at hand; therefore, we are going to have to learn to manage this as a society, because it's not going away anytime soon. In order for a society to function, we all must abide to an implicit social contract which ultimately boils down to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (as applied in this case, that would be "don't show up at a softball game and run around with a bunch of other kids if you're awaiting results for a test to see if you're infected with a virus currently causing a worldwide pandemic"). We are where we are with this virus largely because of the unwillingness of some to acknowledge and follow basic guidelines that show respect for your fellow citizen (see elsewhere on this board for debates ad nauseam re: mask wearing, various governors, and civil liberties) and can/may help reduce the spread (again, not gonna debate that here,..). What is on a totally different level of irresponsibility is knowing that you're sick enough to get a test but still deciding that you're going to put your desires above others' well being. This makes no sense to me - most have figured out not to take their kid to a game when they have the chicken pox (which we have a vaccine for) or pneumonia or even a high fever… why is it a mystery that we should do the same with regards to a virus with a relatively high mortality rate? Until we can collectively figure out how to act in what should be fairly obvious situations, either we quit playing softball (and participating in several other activities, like going out to dinner) altogether or what happened at USA Preps is likely part of the "new normal".

You make some great points and are one of the most coherent members to post on this forum in months. Sadly, you are an anomaly. The only question I would ask of you, "Big picture, was the reward worth the risk?"
Melissar305

by Schmick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:48 pm

No governor is more incompetent than that felcher in suckramento. How are the recall petitions going, need to get rid of that asshat asap
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by texmex45 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Schmick wrote:No governor is more incompetent than that felcher in suckramento. How are the recall petitions going, need to get rid of that asshat asap
Schmick wrote:No governor is more incompetent than that felcher in suckramento. How are the recall petitions going, need to get rid of that asshat asap

Schmick, I'd bet you be a fun dude (assuming you are a dude) to have a beer with! I doubt the conversation would be dull!! :o
texmex45

by Schmick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:47 pm

micheladas after 11 am, Bloody Mary's for the 8 am starts
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dthomca » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Melissar305 wrote:

You make some great points and are one of the most coherent members to post on this forum in months. Sadly, you are an anomaly. The only question I would ask of you, "Big picture, was the reward worth the risk?"

Big picture - yes it was. Travelling to tournaments/showcases like this are about more than the games and the off-chance that some coach will see her throwing someone out at 3rd from RF or the 9-pitch at bat that ends in an RBI ground out to 2nd. For us, they're about the hours in the car together, the group effort packing and unpacking and cleaning the RV (yes we stayed in an RV vs a hotel to mitigate the risk of exposure), the time spent with teammates off the field, and even, sadly, helping our daughter navigate her emotions after the team meeting telling them that the rest of their week was cancelled and getting her to overcome her anger and fear to pray for the player that was (ostensibly) sick. In my mind, our mistake was trusting others to do the responsible thing for the better of the community - understanding that the fact that the player's test ultimately came back as a "false positive" does nothing to reverse the decision that they made to put us all in that position to start with. That is a mistake that I have made before and am certain to make again, because I feel trust in your fellow human is an inherent part of the "social contract" that we all must adhere to in order for society to function.
dthomca
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:00 pm

I have asked this before but have yet to get a good answer. According to the CDC’s updated number of confirmed positive cases and the number of unfortunate deaths listed as COVID positive deaths in the US and using the current population in the US, the number of positive cases in the US is 1.1% of the total population. And only .04% of the total population has unfortunately died from this virus. A recent study published in the Washington Post found that children under 20 were half as likely as adults 20 yrs and older in contracting this disease. So I will ask again based on these factual numbers.....and without calling me an Asshole....When is ok to worry about the 98.9% of the people and most importantly our kids who don’t have the virus? I agree with a lot of your viewpoints. The player no matter where she was from and her parents we’re incredibly irresponsible, insincere, and negligent taking their daughter to Utah. But our kids playing this game is not just for us. It not just about us. It is important to these kids futures beyond the dirt. I care about the well being of others and don’t wish harm on anyone, but seriously someone tell when is it ok to look out for the non-infected?
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by dthomca » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 pm

DirtyRiders wrote:I have asked this before but have yet to get a good answer. According to the CDC’s updated number of confirmed positive cases and the number of unfortunate deaths listed as COVID positive deaths in the US and using the current population in the US, the number of positive cases in the US is 1.1% of the total population. And only .04% of the total population has unfortunately died from this virus. A recent study published in the Washington Post found that children under 20 were half as likely as adults 20 yrs and older in contracting this disease. So I will ask again based on these factual numbers.....and without calling me an Asshole....When is ok to worry about the 98.9% of the people and most importantly our kids who don’t have the virus? I agree with a lot of your viewpoints. The player no matter where she was from and her parents we’re incredibly irresponsible, insincere, and negligent taking their daughter to Utah. But our kids playing this game is not just for us. It not just about us. It is important to these kids futures beyond the dirt. I care about the well being of others and don’t wish harm on anyone, but seriously someone tell when is it ok to look out for the non-infected?

I would ask what constitutes "worry[ing] about the 98.9% of the people...who don't have the virus"? IMHO, the best we can do to take care of the 98.9% is to follow recommended precautions (I'm not an infectious disease expert, so I consider the advice of those that are when an infectious disease is at issue) and continue living within those parameters, with a dash of common sense mixed in (see my remark re: not taking your kid to an event if they might be sick). If all the "non-infected" were going about their business but honestly, 100% following said CDC guidelines about masking, social distancing, etc, I would say that would be a huge step towards taking care of the 98.9%; I would also say that we would likely not be responding to questions about this on a message board cuz we'd all be at (or coming home from) the field right now were we doing this as a society. Preemptively, I must add that I believe that baseball/softball provides as much/more social distancing than golf (which is currently allowed under the most restrictive guidelines that I've seen) but have been swept up in the "youth sports" restrictions recently re-enacted in several areas; therefore I believe that playing these sports fits within social distancing guidelines (I will also acknowledge that this point is my opinion and therefore subject to debate).
dthomca
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:22 pm

What constitutes worrying about is that the only numbers that are being reported is that of the infected. And the only part of the population the media is centered around and reporting the numbers of is the infected. You, unlike a lot of the responders in this forum, have compelling and thought provoking answers. I agree with the earlier response to your post about the player and her family traveling to Utah knowing that she had active symptoms. It was a resfreshingly compelling response and had the beauty of a non-political narrative and yet still empowered a level of response that most posts lack. But with all due respect, you too have failed to answer my question. When do the non-infected and their well being get our attention? Because if we think they aren’t suffering we’re not paying attention which is my ultimate point.
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Assassin » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:25 am

National strategy? With the astronomically idiotic guidance he's gotten from CDC, WHO, and NIH, what else could he have done? Biden, Pelosi, et. al. said that the China travel ban he implemented was racist, unnecessary and stupid immediately upon the order. The Constitution leaves the majority of the decision-making in these situations to the Governors of the states. The ones that are having the real issues are the ones in the blue states.

Softball? Won't matter anyway. It's a sport now for people who have money. The democrats are driving us into a bigger version of Venezuela. Won't be too long before we won't be thinking about softball....we'll be thinking of putting Rover on the barbecue. Bon Apetit.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions