Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

NEWSOME Shut all outdoor and indoor sports down

What's on your mind?

by sdiamond » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:39 am

Per Newsome: At this time recreational Team and youth sports of any kind,including purposes of conditioning,drills exercise activities are NOT PERMITTED for the next 3 weeks! Theres a mandatory closure of ALL indoor operations!

The Cities were told to talk to their Police Chiefs and or Sheriffs Department to help enforce this mandate. Newsomes Office told them if Cities dont comply they will lose all their Covid-19 Funds.

I know many teams have been going to fields and practicing or even on school property I would hate to see anyone in the Softball Community receive a citation . I know everyone thinks this is against our First Amendment rights and it may be but thats a situation for Lawyers to handle.

Many Teams have St.George Utah coming up, Mesquite Nevada and Showcase By the Sea and the revised Zoom into June Schedules.. No idea what TCS, USAPreps, are going to do having a difficult time getting replies.

Please stay safe and voice your opinions to the appropriate people if you can.. Thank you!
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am

Where did you get this information?
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sdiamond » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am

This was sent to all Cities:

Per the state COVID-19 GUIDELINES, At this time recreational team and youth sports of any kind, including purposes of conditioning, drills and exercise activities are not permitted. It is unfortunate and we understand that children would like the opportunity to participate in their normal team activities but now is not the time to let our guard down. We will share official guidelines for recreational team and youth sports when they are made available by the state. In the meantime, we encourage you to do your part to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

See Below: July 6, 2020 UPDATE New Restrictions on Youth Sports https://wp.sbcounty.gov/cao/countywire/

In accordance with current State, CDC and San Bernardino County COVID-19 Guidelines, athletic fields, rinks, basketball courts, playgrounds, park fitness equipment and picnic shelters in the City of Fontana are closed until further notice. Permits will be terminated to reflect the closure.

Organized team sports activities of any sort are not permitted on City property. Please refrain from utilizing City of Fontana Parks during the COVID-19 closure.

Teams found utilizing athletic facilities without a permit during the COVID-19 closure will jeopardize the organization from obtaining permits when fields and rinks reopen.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience.
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jwerde » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:38 pm

How about this idea. Instead of just complaining on line about our hypocritical restrictions we take action in our hands. I personally know many Police/Sheriff Departments that want NOTHING to do with the bad PR that comes with shutting down outdoor youth events while people are out protesting and doing who knows what else outside with out a single word or attempt to stop them. This is horrible PR for the police who are already enemy number 1 in many people's minds (Not mine at all) and ridiculous hypocrisy by the government.

Here is the move. Call your local Police Department, ask them what their policy is on stopping outdoor youth sporting events. Some will be very open and honest about it and tell you they won't stop you unless......, some will beat around the bush and let you infer what they are saying and some will plain tell you "NO you can't and we will stop you". If they plan to stop people, flood that department with complaint phone calls about it. They will back off.

The Governor will do what he wants we already know that. Your complaints are falling on deaf ears. The police are the ones who have to enforce outdoor events not happening. If the field is accessible by the public and not locked up or on private property they may not want to stop it. Especially if they know how the community feels.

I recommend that you follow all social distance and masking protocols by spectators and kids in the dugout. Not only is it safer it doesn't give them ammo to stop you if they roll by.
jwerde
Premium Member
Premium Member

by texmex45 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 pm

jwerde.....your passion is compelling, but the PD is simply an enforcement agency. Asking their policy on enforcement vs. "turning the other cheek" is not the way to go. I assume that you have a daughter that plays this great sport, but is this really how you want to gain access to facilities.....leveraging police departments that won't enforce the state directives? It's sad that it has come to this. I agree that all of the complaining is getting old, but a strategy that is based on finding situations where the police don't give a SH$# is a sad commentary. Again, kudos to your alternative to complaining!
texmex45

by jwerde » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:52 pm

Tex,
I bring this up because that is exactly what a friend of mine who happens to be in law enforcement told me. When I ask him what the position his department took on enforcing youth activities on fields and parks, his exact response was, " We don't stop the kids". He said some departments will come and talk to people and ask them to leave and if they are nice and compliant they say something like, " Ok now I told you, thank you for cooperating I'll be back in 3 hours to be sure you have left". Kind of giving the old wink wink with some wiggle room built in.

It does suck that it has come to this. I am def not a believer in defying the law or law enforcement agents however watching protestors do what they want when they want, some folks resorting to looting and destruction, statues being ripped down and the police "turning the other cheek" or the Governor supplying a list of things you can't do outdoors, but finishing that list with " Protesting still OK" makes me shake my head. My kids and thousands of others, mental and physical well being has been suffering and she's missed out on monumental occasions this summer while we "obeyed" the rules. Others are sticking their middle finger up at them and getting away with it. This makes me have to resort to the horrible crime of squatting on a field and hoping the police don't remove us since Newsom has decided it is too dangerous to play youth sports outside but "protesting is ok".

I respect our men and women in blue but many of them will not be enforcing these Newsom rules. Find those that don't! Your daughters well being may literally be in jeopardy, not willing to let that happen.

I'm not even trying to make this a political issue, just don't be a damn hypocrite! What's good for one should be good for the other.

None of that is really directed at you Tex and I am sure we see things similarly on some of these issues.
jwerde
Premium Member
Premium Member

by texmex45 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:38 pm

I hear you brotha (or sista). I get it. Sneaking in a friendly or two is cool when you have lax enforcement (we are doing it), but this would never work when trying to hold a major event. If your daughter is not going off to college (mine is), then she is not done with travel ball by any stretch, and good times will return at some point. I just wonder if it's worth it to sneak around and rely on law enforcement agencies that are going rogue just to squeeze in a few extra games. I don't think it is.
texmex45

by sdiamond » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 pm

jwerde wrote:Tex,
I bring this up because that is exactly what a friend of mine who happens to be in law enforcement told me. When I ask him what the position his department took on enforcing youth activities on fields and parks, his exact response was, " We don't stop the kids". He said some departments will come and talk to people and ask them to leave and if they are nice and compliant they say something like, " Ok now I told you, thank you for cooperating I'll be back in 3 hours to be sure you have left". Kind of giving the old wink wink with some wiggle room built in.

It does suck that it has come to this. I am def not a believer in defying the law or law enforcement agents however watching protestors do what they want when they want, some folks resorting to looting and destruction, statues being ripped down and the police "turning the other cheek" or the Governor supplying a list of things you can't do outdoors, but finishing that list with " Protesting still OK" makes me shake my head. My kids and thousands of others, mental and physical well being has been suffering and she's missed out on monumental occasions this summer while we "obeyed" the rules. Others are sticking their middle finger up at them and getting away with it. This makes me have to resort to the horrible crime of squatting on a field and hoping the police don't remove us since Newsom has decided it is too dangerous to play youth sports outside but "protesting is ok".

I respect our men and women in blue but many of them will not be enforcing these Newsom rules. Find those that don't! Your daughters well being may literally be in jeopardy, not willing to let that happen.

I'm not even trying to make this a political issue, just don't be a damn hypocrite! What's good for one should be good for the other.

None of that is really directed at you Tex and I am sure we see things similarly on some of these issues.

The issue now is Newsome has told the Mayors of the cities in the Counties he has shut down, if they dont abide by his rules they will not receive the covid funding allotted to them which could be several million dollars. I to am a retired Deputy many Deputies dont want to shut down parks but if they are ordered to their hands may be tied. Also some cities are just contacting the teams on the fields and when it comes time to issue permits when this covid is done those teams will not be allowed to get a permit in the city. Tough times for sure and my opinion if it counts is....If Home Depot Costco Walmart and other large grocery stores can operate, why cant Baseball/Softball who can social distance better than any sport not be allowed to play!

Good Luck and be safe..
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hpd276 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:19 pm

The biggest issue I see after talking to my team insurance agent. As if we willfully disobey a law or health department order, the insurance becomes null and void, I agree no police officer will shut us down or write a ticket but man I hate for the kids on my team to sue me if they break an arm

This is ridiculous and crazy, Let the kids be supervised by adults, do it correctly, make it safe and let’s get back to living

Sure does seem like other states allow people to play
hpd276
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:09 pm

With the remainder of the 2020 summer season canceled, and a high likelihood the fall season will be as well, I don't think it's too early to be talking about what we can do as coaches, parents and adults, to help ensure that this nightmare isn't repeated next year in California.

If nothing changes in the way of a national strategy to combat the COVID crisis, THIS is exactly where we will be in 9 short months. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result. Competent government matters and elections have consequences.

Who here wants to see their daughters play softball next summer? That's going to require some effort on YOUR part. Doing nothing is NOT a strategy. If people don't change their behavior and attitudes, this is EXACTLY where we will be 12 months from now. You can take that check to the bank and cash it.
Melissar305

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions