Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

One Play That Changes The Game

What's on your mind?

by Battle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:39 pm

So many times in sports, I hear people say, "If we had made that play the score would be different." Unless you are talking about the very end of the game, that play would also change the whole complex of the game. It changes batting order, pitches, pitch counts, etc...Everything changes and even if it is at the end, I have always looked at we could have made a difference at some point earlier in the game. What do you think?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm

After a game? Critical error usually jumps right out and
says 'if only'.

IMO If there is a single thing that can make a critical difference in a better outcome that would be a catchers framing.

As commented, it can change the batting order (outs), the pitch selection and pitch count. Plus the ball doesn't even have to be in play to make those differences!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:After a game? Critical error usually jumps right out and
says 'if only'.

IMO If there is a single thing that can make a critical difference in a better outcome that would be a catchers framing.

As commented, it can change the batting order (outs), the pitch selection and pitch count. Plus the ball doesn't even have to be in play to make those differences!

I agree, but all errors are critical ... Each defensive error essentially gives the other team an extra out in that inning, while an offensive error often lets the defensive team get out of an inning while only making 2 outs ... If at the home plate meeting, if the Umpire said "in the forth inning you have to make 4 outs on defense and in the 5th inning you only get 2 outs on offense", I think the fireworks would start.

All too often an out not made turn into a rally.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by eddiez577 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:19 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:After a game? Critical error usually jumps right out and
says 'if only'.

I agree, but all errors are critical ... Each defensive error essentially gives the other team an extra out in that inning, while an offensive error often lets the defensive team get out of an inning while only making 2 outs ... If at the home plate meeting, if the Umpire said "in the forth inning you have to make 4 outs on defense and in the 5th inning you only get 2 outs on offense", I think the fireworks would start.

All too often an out not made turn into a rally.

Also, every defensive error adds 5-15 minutes to the inning. In timed games, that factors in to managing to win the game. You either have to hurry and make good plays if you're home and are down, or hope that the other team doesn't eat up the clock with timeouts if you're visitor.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

Offensively and defensively
control the ball
to control the game!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:Good point about the clock.
Clock management strategy ;)

Definitely agree
'Can't give extra outs away.' That's a great way to explain how critical errors are.
Also things like 'all pop-ups should be an out' mentality. Those little spray pop ups in foul territory the corners and catcher should be grabbing. While those are not charged as an error they are an opportunity for an out.
Game changing moments.

Here's another,
When coaches say after losing 'well we didn't bring our bats', yet every batter had a bat in their hand. What really happens is the coach didn't bring a strategy to make something happen.
If you see your bats are weak, or pitcher commanding the game, create game changing moments with small ball!

Offensively and defensively
control the ball
to control the game!

Pop ups in foul ground that are not caught are why I drink to excess
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 am

How about
Batters that strike out looking?

Whats the thinking there?
Should never happen?

Game changing moments!
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:How about
Batters that strike out looking?

Whats the thinking there?
Should never happen?

Game changing moments!

I say it shouldn't happen as often as it does ... A batter can occasionally be fooled by a pitch (sweet change up or a movement pitch) ... If it is a rarity I don't worry about it too much ... If it is a pattern with a particular batter, it may be a confidence issue that needs to be addressed.
GIMNEPIWO

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 am

One play that changes a game. Catchers back pics!
Batter becomes a runner
becomes an out!
Really enjoy the confidence
of a strong defense!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 am

Sometimes its the play that does not stand out that makes the difference. Sometimes its the basics- proper cut-off(or missed cut-off) Backing up(or not) proper positioning- many times those simple things allow an extra base(or run) that winds up being the difference, but does not show in the scorecard
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions