Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Its getting old!

What's on your mind?

by OutlawsSC » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am

Showcases and friendlies for most part are awesome, kids playing, coaches coaching and parents cheering.
Tournaments are a diffrent story, in the last 3 tournys we have had parents go onto the field to argue with umps and the coach said nothing to them. We have coaches trash talking, even when losing and Parents just being obnoxious.
Its so bad now our girls only want to play friendlies and showcases now.
My own daughter said to me "The only thing I hate about softball are the screaming parents and the arguing coaches"
Anyways I have played aginst a bunch of you coaches that have classy organizations and I want to say thanks.
Keep it classy fastpitch coaches.
OutlawsSC
Premium Member
Premium Member

by toner297 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 am

what tournaments are you playing in I know TCS has a strict room about unruly parents,spectator and coaches.
toner297
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:52 am

The coach sets the tone.....Always!!!! If he lets the parents walk all over him and talk shit to the umps well then he better get some backbone and set some boundaries. As for the other coaches and parents well you can't control them, I just tell my girls to always show class win or lose..... Because some days your the bug and some days your the windshield so learn how to act when your day comes!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah coach sets the tone for their team!

Where's the umpire in all that mess? Not that the umpire should have to babysit the adults. But the umpire is supposed to be 'officiating'
and should have set a standard on the field!
crankshaft

by McGee » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 pm

As an ex-coach we never tolerated any parental aberrant behavior although we saw plenty. The teams that behave poorly tend to be weak and poorly coached. As a current umpire, I am shocked by the behavior exhibited by parents from lots of teams. I usually ask the coaches to get their parents under control and had a few that scoff at the recommendation. Umpires generally just want to get the game over and the effort required to expel parents is significant.

The irony is that college coaches have zero tolerance for difficult parents and will cross players with crazy parents off their recruiting list without another thought!
McGee

by crankshaft » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:15 am

Surprised not to see public
shaming exposing jerk coaches
here on heybucket.

Since there's no 'coaches gripe committee' to oversee any of this. There could be people speaking up about good coaches they had good experiences with. Give those coaches exposure as well expose the bad coaches like obnoxious pompous azz that are out there.

How come no good list/ bad list on heybucket?
crankshaft

by crankshaft » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:50 am

Spazsdad wrote:Because there would never be any butthurt parents slamming a coach with unsubstantiated claims of “abuse”

? going with sarcasm and a wording error...

? you're saying you think
people would only be whiny gripey unsubstantiated making things up just to appease their wounded little feelings?

Think there would be some real feedback. People could have a heads up what type of coaching personality or style could be there and could be substantiated with feedback.
yeah opinion polls can be faulty, but after you see repetitive feedback shows a pattern.

Especially a good coaching feedback list! Things like
organized
good communicator
schedule 3 months in advance
good tournament selection
positive person
held a standard
handled team drama immediately

Or compare
Negative person
disorganized
no set schedule
practice location all over
cussed at the team
crankshaft

by CoachMike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Why is it that this is still going on? Parents were a regular topic on my show when I was doing it in 2006. I've never had an issue like this. Does that mean I'm a good coach? Not sure that's the right measuring stick. But yes, the COACH has to set the tone. The Umpire is one (or two) guy(s) who's job is to officiate and bring a semblance of organization to the game. Yes they are the authority on the field. But it is the Coaches who have to let their parents no, under no circumstances, that such behavior will not be tolerated.

Or could it be that there are too many travel teams now so that coaches are afraid of losing the kids of these jerk parents so they let the parents "walk over them?"

I've heard people in different sports justify umpire abuse because they felt the ump did a poor job, or was not a good ump, or was biased, etc. I'm sure most umps will be biased against jerks treating them rudely. It is one thing for the coach to argue with the umpire he/she disagrees with as long as there is respect shown during that discussion. I was taught to never show up the umpire. There is no excuse for people to throw the hatred and threats at any umpire...good or bad.
You cannot make a positive impact with a negative mind!

Teach First
    Win Later

https://customlineupcards.com
CoachMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 am

Mike your line up cards are the best :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by CoachMike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 am

Thank you kind sir... I try hard...

Hopefully 2019 will be a banner year.

MD
You cannot make a positive impact with a negative mind!

Teach First
    Win Later

https://customlineupcards.com
CoachMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions