Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

college cost reality

What's on your mind?

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:17 am

How much is it worth to have thoughtful kids with good communication skills who have demonstrated that they will work long and hard to achieve a goal? College is absolutely NOT required to develop these traits but I know I saw the difference in my kid's thinking and communication skills (oral and written) starting with the summer after their freshman year. Neither of my kids is employed in the field they studied in college. My kids say that is common these days based on what their college peers are doing years after graduation. I'm very confident they will both benefit the rest of their lives from their college education, including their ability to leverage their education to advantage in whatever work they're engaged in.

I hope it's clear that I'm not saying college is some kind of cosmic silver bullet that every person would benefit immeasurably from.

Dewey Decimal Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am

Blind Squirrel wrote:How much is it worth to have thoughtful kids with good communication skills who have demonstrated that they will work long and hard to achieve a goal? College is absolutely NOT required to develop these traits but I know I saw the difference in my kid's thinking and communication skills (oral and written) starting with the summer after their freshman year. Neither of my kids is employed in the field they studied in college. My kids say that is common these days based on what their college peers are doing years after graduation. I'm very confident they will both benefit the rest of their lives from their college education, including their ability to leverage their education to advantage in whatever work they're engaged in.

I hope it's clear that I'm not saying college is some kind of cosmic silver bullet that every person would benefit immeasurably from.

Dewey Decimal Squirrel

I'm glad to see someone say that. It's something that is not talked about a lot but as mentioned here, is common. Some kids get into their 3rd or 4th year and start thinking they want to quit because they made a mistake, for whatever reason, in choosing their field.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:26 am

I don't know the extent to which this is true but I have heard it said that a college degree today functions, in many cases, as the discriminator that a High School diploma used to be. I think the implications of that, if true, are worthy of serious consideration given the likelihood they'll be competing for jobs that don't require their particular degree.

My wife has not one second of college experience. 6 years ago she started a company with 2 employees. Today there are over 80 employees with monthly billings comfortably exceeding $1 million per month. What should my kids think? One parent was a college educated engineer who was unemployed for a total of 3 or 4 months over the course of 20+ years and had a higher than average income. The other parent has no college background and is a relatively successful businesswoman who is now making considerably more money than college educated engineer ever did. And I wasn't cheap.

This is one of those areas where one size doesn't fit all. One of the many important issues parents struggle with and hope for the best whatever their decision.

Overshadowed Squirrel
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:My wife has not one second of college experience. 6 years ago she started a company with 2 employees. Today there are over 80 employees with monthly billings comfortably exceeding $1 million per month. What should my kids think? One parent was a college educated engineer who was unemployed for a total of 3 or 4 months over the course of 20+ years and had a higher than average income. The other parent has no college background and is a relatively successful businesswoman who is now making considerably more money than college educated engineer ever did. And I wasn't cheap.

This is one of those areas where one size doesn't fit all. One of the many important issues parents struggle with and hope for the best whatever their decision.

Overshadowed Squirrel

That's what I'm talking about! Glad to hear that your wife has had success in her business. Good luck to your family ;)

eddiez577 wrote:Does also show that dedication, persistence, goal-making and time management are great attributes to hold for HS looking to go to College.

These same attributes are found in the real world, where I personally know very successful employees and business owners who didn't go to college, but were able to develop very successful careers with the same tenets.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:29 pm

eddiez577 wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:My wife has not one second of college experience. 6 years ago she started a company with 2 employees. Today there are over 80 employees with monthly billings comfortably exceeding $1 million per month. What should my kids think? One parent was a college educated engineer who was unemployed for a total of 3 or 4 months over the course of 20+ years and had a higher than average income. The other parent has no college background and is a relatively successful businesswoman who is now making considerably more money than college educated engineer ever did. And I wasn't cheap.

Overshadowed Squirrel

That's what I'm talking about! Glad to hear that your wife has had success in her business. Good luck to your family ;)

eddiez577 wrote:Does also show that dedication, persistence, goal-making and time management are great attributes to hold for HS looking to go to College.

These same attributes are found in the real world, where I personally know very successful employees and business owners who didn't go to college, but were able to develop very successful careers with the same tenets.

Like this & agree.
Like skin in the game $ responsibilty.

Thinking possibly most parents concede to not having their kids go through college. Rather figure it out on their own. Srcounge jobs that pay enough to cover rent, cost of living...
Eventually find a goal.

For those who are ambitious to try to start a business. Is it then a business loan instead of a college loan that needs to be paid off?

Just for conversation,
How about this question,
Would you rather spend $50 to $200,000 for your kid to try and start a business OR pay for them to get a degree and include the life experience earning the degree?

IMO Degree first, with skin $ in the game.
Learn how to first with life skills.

(of course may differ individual to individual but wonder the percentage that would pick one versus the other.
Guessing majority would not choose funding their young adult child trying to start a business.
Tho could be wrong!)
crankshaft

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Thank you Eddie. I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills on Easy Bake ovens with their microwave-like heating ability from the 60 watt heat light. Work on perfecting makeup application - women need to look their best for when their man comes home.

Seriously, I think being dependable, working hard and focusing on team objectives enables people to be successful in whatever line of work they do, regardless of college experience. Because so many people don't do those things. During my engineering days I worked with tons of people that were smarter than me. I don't recall working with any engineer with a degree from a college as crappy as the one I graduated from (Cal State Dominguez Hills). So I worked 70+ hour weeks while they worked 40. I did everything I could to help my teams win including cleaning up meeting rooms before my presentations if needed. As a direct result I got desirable opportunities that would surely have gone to others. My wife would tell you her whatever level of success she has achieved on the job has almost nothing to do with intellect or college. She started as a personal assistant to a telecomm VP and proceeded to completely work her arse off for years and years to get to the position she is in. She still works 12 hour days even though she's pushing 60. I'm guessing there are a whole lot of people with MBAs from great schools that will never achieve what she has achieved in the business world. Their education alone simply isn't enough.

Total Eclipse of the Squirrel
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills Squirrel

Hey go ahead have your opinion but you don't speak for everybody because NO we all don't agree with that shit!
crankshaft

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm

crankshaft wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote: I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills Squirrel

Hey go ahead have your opinion but you don't speak for everybody because NO we all don't agree with that shit!

It was intended to be an obvious joke. I was raised by a single mother with 4 boys aged 1 to 10 when my Dad died from cancer. We weren't exactly rolling in the dough so I grew up watching my mother fix everything from leaking roofs to broken appliances. She went from working as an entry level bank admin to being the first woman vice president in that bank's history. Growing up my daughter routinely destroyed boys in athletic activities. Given my first hand experiences I would have to be a certified retard to underestimate what women can do.

I hope that clears up the misunderstanding. I apologize for any confusion I caused.

Phil Donahue Squirrel
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm

crankshaft wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote: I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills Squirrel

Squirrel, you should download that sarcasm font! :mrgreen: :roll:
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:36 pm

crankshaft wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:I think we'd all agree that this country started going downhill when we started believing females are capable in the workplace. Girls should divide their time between playing with dolls for fun and training for being a good housewife. Girls need to spend their time practicing their cooking skills Squirrel

Who is "we"?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions