Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Can you teach how to handle pressure?

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 am

Question of the Day

Can you teach a player how to handle pressure? If yes, how do you teach it? How do you know if it's working?
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 am

In the Army it’s known as basic training!

Everybody has the ability to handle pressure. It’s having the confidence in oneself in using that ability. One way of achieving that is by having players achieve victories over minor presures an building from there. Like a recruit making their bed, passing inspection. These little victories keep building to bigger victories over bigger pressures. In practices it starts with being on time and ready for practices, tougher and tougher drils starting from basic to advanced. Time things and make competitiveness part of pratice. Not only will they be able to handle pressure. They will thrive!
jonriv

by jonriv » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 am

jonriv

by jonriv » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:47 am

My experience has been that those who are best prepared tend to handle pressure best. If you know your stuff and are confident-you can overcome anything.
jonriv

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:55 am

jonriv wrote:My experience has been that those who are best prepared tend to handle pressure best. If you know your stuff and are confident-you can overcome anything.

That is true ... However, I often think about something John Wooden would say (paraphrasing); that "you can not motivate a player, they are either motivated or they are not" and something that my mate says "people are who they are by the time they're 5 years old"
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by crankshaft » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am

Apply standards early on.
Comes from parenting in
early ages. The older people get the more set in their ways they are and the harder it becomes to accomplish tasks that are beyond their standards.
From how the military breaks in recruits, not all make it through basic training. From that I'm going to say not everybody can handle pressure!
crankshaft

by jonriv » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am

crankshaft wrote:Apply standards early on.
Comes from parenting in
early ages. The older people get the more set in their ways they are and the harder it becomes to accomplish tasks that are beyond their standards.
From how the military breaks in recruits, not all make it through basic training. From that I'm going to say not everybody can handle pressure!

Basic Training is not designed to "weed out" soldiers. The wash-out rate among the services is about 14%-the vast majority is due to medical disqualification and/or injury- most of those are the re-cycled. Basic training is designed to give the new recruit the "basic" skills and tools to operate in the military. It breaks down the recruit and then builds them up to be a soldier. It also instills them with a certain esprit de corps.

Other training schools(ie Airborne, Ranger, Q, Seals etc) are designed to weed out those not "worthy" When I attended Airborne School they told us we were Three Time Volunteers and the One Percent of the One Percent.
jonriv

by crankshaft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:06 am

There you go 14% washout in military.
And
From the video there is a washout rate of over 60% of military personnel who cannot succeed the trials to become a Navy SEAL. Additionally the washout rate of people who do not graduate high school and the washout rate of people who drop out of college are statistics that show us not everybody can handle pressure. JonRiv, you offer some intelligent feedback in your posts and I like reading them. However if your post is to try to say that everybody can be taught to handle pressure
I disagree.

Lol now I just thought about the divorce rate...
now there's a washout!!!
crankshaft

by eddiez577 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am

crankshaft wrote:There you go 14% washout in military.
And
From the video there is a washout rate of over 60% of military personnel who cannot succeed the trials to become a Navy SEAL. Additionally the washout rate of people who do not graduate high school and the washout rate of people who drop out of college are statistics that show us not everybody can handle pressure. JonRiv, you offer some intelligent feedback in your posts and I like reading them. However if your post is to try to say that everybody can be taught to handle pressure
I disagree.

Lol now I just thought about the divorce rate...
now there's a washout!!!

OK but you as a coach (or hypothetically if you're not), how do you teach a 14 year old to throw a change-up for a win to the opposing team's #4 batter on a 3-2 count after fouling off 3 in a row with bases loaded, they're home, and you're up by 1 with time expired on the semi-final game with the #1 seeded team on the bleachers watching your every move like vultures after defeating 4 in a row like fodder at a qualifying tourney? Or conversely, you're team is the one with the #4 batter. How do you prepare your athletes for that situation?
The tendency will be to just throw a fastball, or conversely just swing at anything.
That's pressure. How do you teach that stoicism? lol
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:59 am

Me? Already responded.
Whats your answer
QOD:eddiez?
crankshaft

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions