Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

QOD; Are pitchers born or made?

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Is the Mike Smith mentioned by Sam the same Mike Smith who is now the head coach at Ole Miss? Just wondering.

I tend to think it's some combination of both as far as born vs made with emphasis on the made side. A lousy pitching coach can ruin even the best bred pitchers. My kids started getting private pitching lessons from a former men's fp player, Jim Brackin, who retired early in my oldest dd's HS career so my youngest started around 12u with Denny Tincher. I'm still glad we worked with Brackin when we did because he was very good at pitching instruction compared to anyone else nearby and fairly accessible but as someone who was known mainly as a hitting instructor he didn't have the eye for detail that Tincher does. The other thing I now realize in hindsight is that it isn't necessary to go to pitching lessons every week, we only saw Tincher somewhere between 3-5 times per year.

On the "born" side, both my kids were very much on the stoic side mentally. When I see a young pitcher fighting off tears in the circle or glowering at a teammate who made an error or an umpire who's squeezing them I tend to think they don't have it between the ears to be pitchers.
dusty

by Sam » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 am

dusty wrote:Is the Mike Smith mentioned by Sam the same Mike Smith who is now the head coach at Ole Miss? Just wondering.

I tend to think it's some combination of both as far as born vs made with emphasis on the made side. A lousy pitching coach can ruin even the best bred pitchers. My kids started getting private pitching lessons from a former men's fp player, Jim Brackin, who retired early in my oldest dd's HS career so my youngest started around 12u with Denny Tincher. I'm still glad we worked with Brackin when we did because he was very good at pitching instruction compared to anyone else nearby and fairly accessible but as someone who was known mainly as a hitting instructor he didn't have the eye for detail that Tincher does. The other thing I now realize in hindsight is that it isn't necessary to go to pitching lessons every week, we only saw Tincher somewhere between 3-5 times per year.

On the "born" side, both my kids were very much on the stoic side mentally. When I see a young pitcher fighting off tears in the circle or glowering at a teammate who made an error or an umpire who's squeezing them I tend to think they don't have it between the ears to be pitchers.

No, its the Mike Smith that went to prison.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

If pitchers are born,
does that mean their parents are predestined to act like pitchers parents or do they become that way?
crankshaft

by Battle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Spazsdad wrote:The myth of the “pitcher’s parent” was started by the parents of fielders that make errors
Ask Artomatic

Wait...What..."Pitcher's parent" is a myth? See... I knew you could teach me something and you said it couldn't be done...Pfffft.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:27 am

Battle wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:The myth of the “pitcher’s parent” was started by the parents of fielders that make errors
Ask Artomatic

Wait...What..."Pitcher's parent" is a myth? See... I knew you could teach me something and you said it couldn't be done...Pfffft.

And the proof is in the pudding, because pitchers don't make errors, give up hits or walk batters ... If it isn't a K, one of the fielders is responsible ... :roll:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Battle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:08 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Battle wrote:
Ask Artomatic

And the proof is in the pudding, because pitchers don't make errors, give up hits or walk batters ... If it isn't a K, one of the fielders is responsible ... :roll:

LOL...Well do you consider the catcher a fielder? That's the problem most of the time. Even if the fielder makes the mistake, the catch just didn't give her a good target and hung it over the plate. That's when the "myth" gets scary...big foot, goblins, witches, warlocks, and vampires come out...mwayahaahaha.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by crankshaft » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:54 am

Yeah that darn Bermuda Triangle really screwed
up her game....
crankshaft

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Battle wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Battle wrote:
Ask Artomatic

LOL...Well do you consider the catcher a fielder? That's the problem most of the time. Even if the fielder makes the mistake, the catch just didn't give her a good target and hung it over the plate. That's when the "myth" gets scary...big foot, goblins, witches, warlocks, and vampires come out...mwayahaahaha.

LMAOWIOAB ! ... I stand corrected, sometimes it may be a K and could still be a fielders fault (catcher) on a U3K (D3K)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions