Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitch for contact or pitch for strikeout?

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:40 am

Sam wrote:So.......Batting Average on Balls In Play (BABIP) is always higher than Batting Average on Balls Not In Play (BABNIP)......which is always .000

So.....if your pitcher isn't attempting to strike out every hitter, .....you should remove her because she is thereby attempting to allow the opponents to get hits/runs/wins. Thats math.

Curious ... So, as you are coaching and your hurler is on the rubber ... You never think or say "We need a ground ball here"? ... or "we need a lazy pop up here" ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Sam » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:33 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Sam wrote:So.......Batting Average on Balls In Play (BABIP) is always higher than Batting Average on Balls Not In Play (BABNIP)......which is always .000

So.....if your pitcher isn't attempting to strike out every hitter, .....you should remove her because she is thereby attempting to allow the opponents to get hits/runs/wins. Thats math.

Curious ... So, as you are coaching and your hurler is on the rubber ... You never think or say "We need a ground ball here"? ... or "we need a lazy pop up here" ?

Never
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 am

Thinking your pitcher can strike everybody out is not realistic.
Wanting the pitcher to try to
is a goal.
crankshaft

by Sam » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am

crankshaft wrote:Thinking your pitcher can strike everybody out is not realistic.
is a goal.

Uhhh.....no. Thinking your pitcher CAN strike out everybody is confidence. Thinking your pitcher WILL strike out everbyody is not realistic. Getting 21 outs while scoring more runs than your opponent is a GOAL.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Sam wrote:
crankshaft wrote:Thinking your pitcher can strike everybody out is not realistic.
is a goal.

Uhhh.....no. Thinking your pitcher CAN strike out everybody is confidence. Thinking your pitcher WILL strike out everbyody is not realistic. Getting 21 outs while scoring more runs than your opponent is a GOAL.

Uhhhh YES
"Thinking you're right all the time is unrealistic, wanting to be right is your goal"
.....grains... of...salt....bro....
crankshaft

by Sam » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:50 am

crankshaft wrote:
Sam wrote:
is a goal.

Uhhhh YES
"Thinking you're right all the time is unrealistic, wanting to be right is your goal"

When you get 30 more years of experience you can come back on here and lecture me. I am right.....all the time. The sooner you accept that, the better.
Its easy to achieve
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crankshaft » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:10 am

Sam wrote:
crankshaft wrote:
Sam wrote:
is a goal.

Uhhhh YES

When you get 30 more years of experience you can come back on here and lecture me. I am right.....all the time. The sooner you accept that, the better.

You can think whatever you want!
crankshaft

by dusty » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:20 pm

The first time my dd was offered the #1 pitcher spot on a travel team at 12u I didn't want her to take it because she had a late fall birthday and was pretty thin and scrawny looking at the time compared to most of the kids on the team. She really wanted to join that team because a lot of her friends did so I relented and hoped for the best.

The funny thing was, a lot of the parents of those kids told me later they had reservations about joining a team with her as the #1 pitcher but were glad they did because it made them develop defensively. She certainly tried to get strikeouts and would typically get 2-3 per game but mostly she had to learn to hit spots and mix speeds between slow and slower.

That team ultimately fell apart by 14u and we found ourselves on a pretty weak 14u team. My dd grew a foot that year and the coach patiently let her develop a riseball and then the strikeouts started coming in bunches.
dusty

by jonriv » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 am

jonriv

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions