Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Dwindling HB Discussion Participation

What's on your mind?

by Battle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:24 am

Skarp wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
jonriv wrote:
Battle wrote:The decline started when Skarp left for a while. I'm sorry but it's true. I BLAME SKARP...DAMN IT!

YES-that's what we need- a SCAPEGOAT!!!!!!!!!!!

SKARP did this!!!!!!!

He also raised interest rates today!!!!!!!

Everything wrong is SKARP'S fault!!!!!!!!! :D

That would be a SKARPGOAT ...

WTF??!! You couldn't find anyone else to carry the load so you guys went and SKARPGOATED me?? Hardly seems right...

I haven't exactly been following, but if HB has in any way mirrored society at large I would posit another possible explanation for any deterioration in discussion quality here: millennial parents. Of course I could be wrong about that, and I certainly wouldn't want to impugn anyone's character or abilities in any way whatsoever! Now could someone please hand me a binky and direct me to the safe space on this site?

Stop it! There is a chance that you might hurt their misunderstood feelings... :lol:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/0 ... ge-decade/
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Hinky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:29 am

Way to go heybucket discussions,
just like the story in movie
Stand By Me
-It's a barf party!
Hinky

by Battle » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Hinky wrote:Way to go heybucket discussions,
just like the story in movie
Stand By Me
-It's a barf party!

Ummm....What the hell are you talking about? Yes we have no bananas?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm

I blame myself. People miss me.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:50 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:I blame myself. People miss me.

Good to hear from you FPdad05! I agree with you. :lol: :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 am

Spazsdad wrote:

Oh, have you been gone?

"Just like a child who's thrown away a toy...Until someone else has got it, how they'll cry to get it back " Jerry Jeff Walker (I believe)
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by as the world turns » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:43 am

I left when you left because there was no one to make me those terrific sandwiches :lol:

Too soon? I'm sorry :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Schmick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Hinky ... You seem a bit thin skinned when recently you posted :

by Hinky » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 am

Schmick wrote:
Not impressive seeing 180 pound woman hit a ball over a 210 foot fence with a drop 10 bat.
My son was doing that at 10 when he was 70 pounds

:lol: how pathetic are you that with all the video available you can watch numerous softball pitchers striking out pro baseball players you remain clueless
what a dipschmick!
Hinky

Now, in your defense; it seems that Schmick was, is or acted like a Troll ... Or, maybe he was just inexperienced and you pissed in his sandbox ... That being said; some of the banter on this site has always been a mix of some serious, some fun, some irony, some nasty and some brutal honesty ... All of which attracted me to the site ... No one called you out on calling the Schmick pathetic, clueless and a Dip Schmick (pretty funny).
I agree with the above responses from Spazdad and Jonriv as to the perceived attrition and causes on Heybucket ...Also, I am quite sure in the past we have all thrown jabs at each other with no or little offense taken ... There are some threads on this site that have become classics by the influx of humor, sarcasm or side roads.

I never took offense to that and it certainly didnt make me want to avoid discussions on here. Was I trolling a little, probably, I mean I did say I'm not impressed with fat chicks hitting a ball 210 feet with a -10 bat, and I still feel that the fences should be moved to 275 feet and the bats limited to a -5 with the size of these girls.

The elephant in the room as to why participation here may be lower than it was in the past is the other forms of social media have killed message boarding everywhere. Even places like 4chan are running at fractions of the posts and replies as they had 6-10 years ago. All of the old Jim Rome type message boards (rackthetrolls, trolltrain, scobode, confusionforums uselessjunk, brokenkeyboards, stucknut...) that were huge 20 years ago are gone or are ghost towns now.
And not just the trolling and smack talk sites, the ones dedicated to sports, hobbies and interests are as well.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, heytell, kik.... allow people to stay in their bubbles, bounce their own ideas off of their echo chamber and feel they have a voice or have taken part in the discussion without any actual thought or the risk of having their feelers hurt.
People still come to HB but it's more for information on what teams are having tryouts or who is going to be in what friendly.
They're not coming to the discussion thread, the place is like the card room at the country club, ain't nobody got time for that.
Hell, I only access this site from my phone and this time of year it's not ever off the tryout page. You want me to menu back to other forums? You know how many 14u teams still need a pitcher??

The blame can be pointed at any number of scapegoats, but that's all that they would be. The simple fact is that traffic here in Radiator Springs is light because the town isn't visible from the Freeway
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 pm

fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Marriard » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Hope you don't mind me putting some input here... I lurk here - probably come and browse once a month or if I am looking for something specific. I am on DFP every day and probably too active there. I joined both forums roughly the same time - DFP late in 2011, HB in early 2012. These are just my observations.

I joined both forums because my daughter was playing, I was volunteered to coach and I was hungry for info on softball and coaching softball. I have to imagine most 'new' users are somewhat similar - their little cupcake has gotten into softball or gotten deeper into softball and I want to know more to help her in whatever journey she is taking.

DFP was just better organized and more friendly for that so I just drifted there. They have active and separate forums for hitting/pitching/coaching/being a parent and so on. And they are right below general discussion. And you can hate having a moderator, but one thing that is done well is that when a discussion should be moved into a specific forum, it happens which helps organize the whole thing. Search also works really well there - especially within the specific forums.

DFP is set up well for a general, wide audience - people regularly post in most of the forums and it doesn't matter where you live to be involved. People feel comfortable posting a 'this is my kid pitching, what do you think?' at DFP and it is encouraged. I don't think I have ever seen that here - I am not sure how well it would go if someone did.

Contrast that to HB. Here everything above is just grouped into general discussion or is just missing. What forum would I go to to learn more about helping my kid pitch? This site isn't set up that way - and that may be intentional. Look at your list of forums and order. It is difficult for a 'newbie' to get involved. There really isn't a good entry to HB for those fairly new to game. It is very regional and specific - PGF & TCS are high up in the forum list - honestly I still don't care much about news around either of those orgs either een though my daughter plays a lot of PGF now. You have forums high in the list that just divide members and don't interest many.

If your active members fit your profile of what you are looking to attract and inform with the forum, then OK. But if you want the 'new' audience DFP does seem to attract then some redesign and rethought would be necessary.

I am not going to lie either - this site is just not visually attractive. I know there has been upgrades/etc over time but for the most part it still looks like it did when I joined.

Just my honest thoughts from my perspective. Take them as you will.
Marriard

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions