Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Skipping the high school season

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Would the New York Metro area count?
jonriv

by Capone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Why do you care if girls play travel vs high school?
Capone

by jonriv » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:32 am

Capone wrote:Why do you care if girls play travel vs high school?

It is the question posed by the poster???
jonriv

by TRbear » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 am

I posted the original question not because of quality of play but due to a situation on the team that could be very detrimental to my daughter and the rest of the team. My D knows the quality of play is generally not good for high school ball and is fine with that but being part of a team that has a very rotten dynamic might not be worthwhile.
TRbear

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:35 pm

TRbear wrote:I posted the original question not because of quality of play but due to a situation on the team that could be very detrimental to my daughter and the rest of the team. My D knows the quality of play is generally not good for high school ball and is fine with that but being part of a team that has a very rotten dynamic might not be worthwhile.

If she does not want to play knowing what the situation is, let it be her decision ... Would you stop your daughter from riding a bicycle because she may fall off ? Bought lessons are often the best learned ... She may just learn that just like after HS, she is going to encounter situations and people that are not to her liking ... Best learn how to deal with it now than on the college team where, in general, there will be less of a family support system. One of my DD's was going to lay off of a HS season because of one of the coaches ... Ultimately, she decided she would play and learned how to deal with an adult asshole ... And as it turned out he was given his walking papers early in the season.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by TRbear » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:20 pm

It's always been her decision to make. I should have been specific in my original post by saying that.
TRbear

by Sparky Guy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:20 pm

My point exactly!!

The kids continually hear "It's a game. Have fun playing it." from the time they first start playing. Now with the advent of the spring teams in the area many kids are choosing to participate on them rather than playing HS ball. For some they are cut from the HS team at tryouts. Some don't like the coach. Some don't like the politics. Some have other interests. Whatever the reason, no adult has the right bash a player for removing themselves from a situation they no longer feel is "fun" for them. You may not agree with the player's decision but no one has the right to bash them and call them names.
Sparky Guy

by jonriv » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 am

Sparky Guy wrote:

My point exactly!!

The kids continually hear "It's a game. Have fun playing it." from the time they first start playing. Now with the advent of the spring teams in the area many kids are choosing to participate on them rather than playing HS ball. For some they are cut from the HS team at tryouts. Some don't like the coach. Some don't like the politics. Some have other interests. Whatever the reason, no adult has the right bash a player for removing themselves from a situation they no longer feel is "fun" for them. You may not agree with the player's decision but no one has the right to bash them and call them names.

Take it easy "Sparky" The problem is that it is usually not the player making the decision , but the parent and for IMO are poor reasons.

Firstly, if little "Susie" is cut neither she or her parents are making a decision

Secondly, I agree that there are politics at the high school level, but many times I think parents uses politics as a convenient cover for talent. It has been my experience that too many times parents overestimate the talent of their player(especially the younger players) and just assume they are better than others on the team. Many adopt a BS elitist attitude that little Susie is too good for the team. Also, if you think the politics are tough in HS, just wait until College! At least in HS as a parent you have some recourse; the coach if another player, the AD if the coach is the problem and ultimately the Principal or the Superintendent(They work for you)

Yes softball is supposed to be fun, but I think too often fun is used as a synonym for "easy". If the goal is to go on and play in college(as the original poster seemed to imply) then taking the easy route is not the best course of action. Does not like the coach???? There's a great life lesson-what will little Susie do when she gets in the workplace and has a boss they don't like-just quick. Sparky you sound like one of those give everyone a trophy type.

IMO when it comes to the play on the field and the level of competition of travel ball is best preparation for a softball player to play at the college level. However, when it comes to the grind of a daily practice and game schedule, politics,balancing schoolwork, dealing with entrenched coaches and upper classman that really can only be found by playing for your High School.

The question was posted and many, well seasoned Hey Bucket members posted with very similar messages that I have. Many have dealt with the politics, sub par coaches and competition yet still recommend to play it, hmmmmmm....
jonriv

by Sparky Guy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 pm

. Sparky you sound like one of those give everyone a trophy type.

Oh not at all!!!!! I hate MVP medals during pool games at tournaments and things like that.

DD played with a girl in travel and against her in HS who was a WCWS MVP. Also, she played with several other players who played in the WCWS as well and many, many D1 players. The organization she played for had a player end up on the Olympic team. I coached in one of the top organizations in the country. I've been coaching without a child on the team for 14 years.

I'm for the players putting themselves in the best possible position where they feel they are able to learn and improve as a player without being judged for it from an adult with no direct knowledge of their individual situation.
Sparky Guy

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions