Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Skipping the high school season

What's on your mind?

by crewsen5151 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am

A HUGE red flag for potential future recruiting. High School ball, even here in So California is a definitive step below travel but High School ball isn't here for that level of competition. High School is for 1) Get your letterman jacket, 2) have fun with your classmates (some who you last played with at the REC Ball level) and 3) Don't get HURT!
crewsen5151
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 am

shortslappy wrote:How about those exceptional underclassmen who can't crack Varsity because the roster is set with upperclassmen? What do they do, play JV where the competition is significantly "different" than what they are accustomed to?

It might not be any different in college except there will be no JV. How will she handle that? A lot of kids struggle with that in college and end up quitting. Is she really exceptional or does she think she is exceptional?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by shortslappy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am

Battle wrote:It might not be any different in college except there will be no JV. How will she handle that? A lot of kids struggle with that in college and end up quitting. Is she really exceptional or does she think she is exceptional?

Not speaking of my dd, but rather another regional player who IS exceptional. Just found out that her HS did pick her up as a varsity freshman.

But I do know of several high schools in our area who have made it known that freshman do not play varsity and many players don't even try out. They skip their freshman year and just stay with their travel team through the dark season.

To me, it sounds silly because I think varsity teams should be made up of the top players of the school, regardless of their year.
shortslappy

by Sparky Guy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Not playing in HS is becoming less and less a factor with college coaches. They understand there are many substandard coaches in HS. Often it's a teacher looking to make a few extra bucks. And the competition levels vary greatly from different areas of the country. Heck, in the Chicago area the talent disparity can be very glaring depending upon where the schools are located. If you look at a lot of the bios of college players they will include the club team they played for along with the HS.

I know in the Chicago area the growing trend is to play on a spring team. Last year there were 90+ kids who did not play HS ball. They divided them up into teams and they play each other on the weekends. They play in a couple of tournaments in states who play HS in the fall. They practiced and worked out all spring. For some of the girls it was much better than what they would have experienced in HS.
Sparky Guy

by jonriv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:52 am

Sparky Guy wrote:Not playing in HS is becoming less and less a factor with college coaches. They understand there are many substandard coaches in HS. Often it's a teacher looking to make a few extra bucks. And the competition levels vary greatly from different areas of the country. Heck, in the Chicago area the talent disparity can be very glaring depending upon where the schools are located. If you look at a lot of the bios of college players they will include the club team they played for along with the HS.

I know in the Chicago area the growing trend is to play on a spring team. Last year there were 90+ kids who did not play HS ball. They divided them up into teams and they play each other on the weekends. They play in a couple of tournaments in states who play HS in the fall. They practiced and worked out all spring. For some of the girls it was much better than what they would have experienced in HS.

So instead of trying to fix the problem- you and these 90 players choose to bail out and make the problem worse? Seems both shameful and cowardly- as well as sending those 90 players a terrible lesson as well as depriving them of an excellent experience in real-world circumstances. Great job!
jonriv

by Hinky » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 pm

jonriv wrote:
Sparky Guy wrote:Not playing in HS is becoming less and less a factor with college coaches. They understand there are many substandard coaches in HS. Often it's a teacher looking to make a few extra bucks. And the competition levels vary greatly from different areas of the country. Heck, in the Chicago area the talent disparity can be very glaring depending upon where the schools are located. If you look at a lot of the bios of college players they will include the club team they played for along with the HS.

So instead of trying to fix the problem- you and these 90 players choose to bail out and make the problem worse? Seems both shameful and cowardly- as well as sending those 90 players a terrible lesson as well as depriving them of an excellent experience in real-world circumstances. Great job!

"We dont get along" vs.
Low level softball-
the situation in some high schools & districts coaching and player ability has gotten worse and greater gap in level. Posibly due to many playing travel ball, and those with zero to some rec-ball wanting also to play h.s.. People are finding Positive Solutions to what can otherwise be a really bad situation. There are some high schools that don't have softball programs. and some high schools only have one team. Depending on where you live the softball program can be extremely low level. Better training opportunity can be a wise choice. Remember many Travel ball teams who are dark practice on Sundays so it's not like a player will be completely without coaching. include the dollar amount it costs to play in high school and money well spent could go to upper level training workouts with knowledgeable and experienced instructors. There are other school activities and sports they can be involved in as well to learn balancing heavy schedule and stay involved. For some focusing on their academics because of struggling grades maybe the best priority decision!
there is a difference between not playing softball because of the low level vs not developing ability to get along with different personalities.
college coaches are aware of the circumstances. So be aware of the reason you are choosing what you choose. Being able to get along with others is a skill set!!!!!
Hinky

by Sparky Guy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Since when is it incumbent on the players to "fix" the problem? They have two choices if they make the cuts. Either pay HS ball in what they feel is a bad situation or don't. These players have found another opportunity to keep working and be happy. We tell the kids all the time "It's game, have fun." If HS ball is not fun for them why should they stay?

FWIW. My DD graduated college 10 years ago. The spring teams started gaining traction about 5 years ago. Before that there were few other options for the players not playing in HS. She was fortunate in HS with having a real softball coach in a school that is a perennial powerhouse in the state. They have 120+ kids tryout every year for the 3 team levels. Many don't make it. And they are not unique. There are other schools with same situation. Those kids need to go somewhere to work and the spring teams are a great opportunity for them.

If you're not happy with your job and find something more satisfying. Would you stay at the old job? If you felt you could better your situation you'd probably move in a heartbeat.
Sparky Guy

by Sam » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Sparky Guy wrote:

Since when is it incumbent on the players to "fix" the problem? They have two choices if they make the cuts. Either pay HS ball in what they feel is a bad situation or don't. These players have found another opportunity to keep working and be happy. We tell the kids all the time "It's game, have fun." If HS ball is not fun for them why should they stay?

FWIW. My DD graduated college 10 years ago. The spring teams started gaining traction about 5 years ago. Before that there were few other options for the players not playing in HS. She was fortunate in HS with having a real softball coach in a school that is a perennial powerhouse in the state. They have 120+ kids tryout every year for the 3 team levels. Many don't make it. And they are not unique. There are other schools with same situation. Those kids need to go somewhere to work and the spring teams are a great opportunity for them.

If you're not happy with your job and find something more satisfying. Would you stay at the old job? If you felt you could better your situation you'd probably move in a heartbeat.
[/quote]

You could be viewed as a nomad if you change jobs often.

There is also something to be said for being a leader on your HS team, whether it is a talented team or not. It could be an experience that would stay with the kid through her lifetime....something she can call upon when joining the workforce after she graduates and something to show on her resume.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm

It's easy to play for a winning team. True leadership and character reveal themselves in difficult situation. If a player is as good(as their parents seem to think) than they can make a difference. Adding 1, 2 or 3 travel players to a mediocre to bad team can make them competitive at the HS level. IMO I question the parenting in allowing a child to take the "easy" route

From my experience the decision not to play in High School has been the parents-not the players and usually for the wrong reasons
jonriv

by Sparky Guy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 pm

It's easy to play for a winning team. True leadership and character reveal themselves in difficult situation. If a player is as good(as their parents seem to think) than they can make a difference. Adding 1, 2 or 3 travel players to a mediocre to bad team can make them competitive at the HS level. IMO I question the parenting in allowing a child to take the "easy" route

Your ideals about HS softball are based upon the softball environment in your area country. Not sure if you're based out of a large metropolitan area or not. It does make a difference and we'll just go round and round.
Sparky Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions