Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

ASA Gold National Umpires Confiscate 50% of Some Teams Bats

What's on your mind?

by GSB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:31 pm

jth1959 wrote:DD didn't even bother bringing the CF3 which had paint chipped at the connection. I sent it back to DeMarini and they sent a CF4 in return, it arrived the day after we left for Nationals. Had to use the old blue synergy.


That sucks, that's like taking your Ferrari in for repairs and getting a Toyota back. Better buy the CF3s while you still can. Keep one in the wrapper until next years Nationals. They are forcing those CF4s on everyone now. Kinda like last year when Stealth started putting out those laminated bats. Lost 30 percent of the pop over the purple and white ones. Why do these bat companies keep going backwards? I hope the new Anderson nano series will live up to the hype. Anderson seems to be the only company that likes success.
To each their own.
User avatar
GSB
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

by MTR » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:43 pm

lvtwft wrote:I dont understand if ASA put a Cert mark on them that they would remove them for not meeting the standards say 3 months after they were bought. How is it the girls fault if she uses that bat a lot and breaks it in nice and good and it exceeds the compression rating now?


You are right, you don't understand. :) ASA doesn't put ANYTHING on a bat. The manufacturer places the certification stamp on the bat based on the prototypes submitted for testing. Only after this point does ASA do additional off-the-rack and game-site testing.

The fact that a bat improperly breaks down or cannot stand the punishment of normal, and sometimes abnormal, use is an issue between the manufacturer and the consumer.

Rolling your bat only cheats time. Most bats once you hit with them for a while(slow pitch as well) get mostly the same effect as rolling a bat. Down with the MAN(ASA)..
:evil: :evil:


Of course, the bat eventually reaches a break-in point with use, but NOT in the same manner. That is why it is one of the ABTs which even according to the manufacturers shortens the life of the bat. Rolling accelerates the break down of the entire barrel while use of the bat does not.

Umpires checking bats is a cautionary courtesy and by no means is failing to catch a non-approved, altered or illegal give a player a free pass or exclusion from the rules regarding possession and/or use of such bats.

Anyone who would have their kid's bats altered are complete idiots especially since being caught with one would subject her to a two year suspension.
MTR
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 am

by jth1959 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:45 am

That sucks, that's like taking your Ferrari in for repairs and getting a Toyota back. Better buy the CF3s while you still can. Keep one in the wrapper until next years Nationals. They are forcing those CF4s on everyone now. Kinda like last year when Stealth started putting out those laminated bats. Lost 30 percent of the pop over the purple and white ones. Why do these bat companies keep going backwards? I hope the new Anderson nano series will live up to the hype. Anderson seems to be the only company that likes success.


DD used the CF4 this past weekend and I didn't notice any difference from the CF3, she likes the thinner handle and the new graphics.
jth1959
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:54 am

OK you guys are talking about all high end 98 mph bats and contending you can measure something like a "30% pop loss"?

So what is that? Your DD normally hits the ball 100 feet so now she can only muster up 70 feet?

Or how does that work exactly? :?:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

by nohesitation » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:10 am

MTR wrote:Anyone who would have their kid's bats altered are complete idiots especially since being caught with one would subject her to a two year suspension.


I agree with MTR, if you are shaving or rolling or altering you daughters bat, stop, take a long hard look at yourself. Is it worth the risk of exposing your daughter to the possible humiliation she could go through if caught in a major tournament with this bat? Do you remember the time Sammy Sosa broke his bat on national television and they found cork in it? Would you really expose your daughter to this? Some things are not worth the risk.

I personally have never seen or heard of any girl or father/mother altering a bat in fastpitch. So maybe that says a lot about our softball community. However, it is rampant in the men’s slow pitch community. Some of those dads, that play slow pitch, have daughters that play fastpitch. So I repeat myself, guys, don’t do this to your daughter.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
User avatar
nohesitation
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm

by ssarge » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 am

Then we dont have to listen to the sniveling and we can stop doing the lamest job we do at nationals, check bats and helmets that have been checked 45 times and obviously played with all year and will be played with all next year. Its a total waste of time. I dont even know why we check helmets either for that matter.


Not the lamest (although certainly on the list).

Insisting a 19 YO WOMAN take a tiny stud out of the side of her nose or ear is lamer. Making her remove a string tied around her wrist is lamer yet.

THe MOST lame at this year's Gold nationals was the HUGE point made at the manager's meeting that if a player came to the plate with one of those little knob covers on the bat, she would be ejected FROM THE TOURNAMENT. Seemed as if it was send with much glee, in fact. Phariseeism at it's finest.
User avatar
ssarge
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:13 pm

by ssarge » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:59 am

"I have been loving you to long to stop now"

Quite a different meaning than "too long."
User avatar
ssarge
 
Posts: 566
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:13 pm

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 am

ssarge wrote:
Phariseeism at it's finest.


I long ago gave up trying to follow hitting discussions but held out hope that I could cope with the rest. This morning I wake up to "Phariseeism". I give up. I think I'll just go back to blissfully picking my nose. Thanx Scott.

Regards,

Phariseeism Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
User avatar
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 am

by nohesitation » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:47 am

ssarge wrote:"I have been loving you to long to stop now"

Quite a different meaning than "too long."


Yes it does change the meaning, most of (all) the quotes use “too long”. If you listen to the song…. “to long” might be more to the point.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
User avatar
nohesitation
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm

by wadeintothem » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

ssarge wrote: [
Insisting a 19 YO WOMAN take a tiny stud out of the side of her nose or ear is lamer. Making her remove a string tied around her wrist is lamer yet.


The flaw there is the coaches/player rep committees continually voting to allow 19 y/o women to play JO ball instead of changing those rules.. If a 19 y/o WOMAN has decided she wants to play a JO Ball, she needs to accept that this is a youth JO sport. but I agree in general with you on the studs. She doesnt get a special pass. At the 14U National a small stud in the ear was allowed. It is also my opinion that they should be allowed.

Strings are not dangerous to the player wearing them, many deam them dangerous to a fielder, who could (and have) had fingers, etc get tangled in them while making a tag or whatever with pretty bad results.

I am not one of those umps conducting body inspections, but that would be the argument.

THe MOST lame at this year's Gold nationals was the HUGE point made at the manager's meeting that if a player came to the plate with one of those little knob covers on the bat, she would be ejected FROM THE TOURNAMENT. Seemed as if it was send with much glee, in fact. Phariseeism at it's finest.


I guess the presumption would be that the girl added it after the bat inspection. I would bet the umpires were instructed to check carefully for these. If a girl changed her bat after bat inspection, I would think a tournament ejection for altering a bat would be warranted.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions