Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Player quits team after getting berth

What's on your mind?

by bandit 75 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:11 am

sftballjnkie wrote:Check.... missed the point

Absolutely, school takes priority over softball. Can't fault parents for that at all.
Problem would be that if it is summer school, that time period is known well in advance and the information about that conflict should have been provided to the coaches from the very beginning (if it was not in this case) It was absolutely not fair (especially in a pitcher's case) not to give the team an opportunity to pick up another pitcher for qualifiers and to go to Nationals with the team if that family had no intention of going to begin with.
Bad form
Unfortunately for the kid, coaches in an area have a long memory for that kind of thing.

If the coaches were aware of this situation and failed to make provisions, that's on them. Don't know all the facts here either.


My sources at the Mavericks have this to say:

1) the kid was a prima donna who expected special treatment from day one,
2) she was clearly NOT the #1 pitcher and that did not sit well with her or her parents,
3) the dad was a jerk who was constantly getting in the face of the head coach,
4) head coach resigns late in the season to preserve some peace,
5) the parents pull the kid off the team after the team qualifies at the NQ in Clovis, and
6) there were no prior warnings from the family regarding summer school or financial concerns.

Those other kids on the team and their families worked hard to get their berth to Nationals. Time and money have been committed for travel plans. What this family did was unforgivable.
bandit 75
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:30 pm

by BallGame » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 am

ballbuster wrote:This is to close to home, I know this player, and her family...I can't believe what they did... I am very disappointed to hear that the father fail to inform the team, that they had no intentions on playing this summer do to summer school conflicts with travel schedule... This had nothing to do with cost, team, or coaches, which I also heard a coach removed himself so this player will stay on while the team travels to the nationals... The family choose was summer school, long before this season started... I was sure they would not do what the father was pushing for... I would think after spending four to five years playing travel, they of all people (which their child is one of two pitchers) would understand the requirements one must overcome when playing for a travel team... I'm very sorry to see this happen... I only hope this player does not infect other teams next season... :o


Summer school conflict???? Most of the summer school sessions end on the 24th of July. That is plenty of time to make plans to travel to Nationals. Come on they new this already,then they should not have wasted the teams time. Who do you really blame, the kid or the Parents. The parents hav eto take full Responsibilityfor this screw up.
User avatar
BallGame
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 9:56 am
Location: POMONA, CA

by Sam » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 am

BallGame wrote:
ballbuster wrote:This is to close to home, I know this player, and her family...I can't believe what they did... I am very disappointed to hear that the father fail to inform the team, that they had no intentions on playing this summer do to summer school conflicts with travel schedule... This had nothing to do with cost, team, or coaches, which I also heard a coach removed himself so this player will stay on while the team travels to the nationals... The family choose was summer school, long before this season started... I was sure they would not do what the father was pushing for... I would think after spending four to five years playing travel, they of all people (which their child is one of two pitchers) would understand the requirements one must overcome when playing for a travel team... I'm very sorry to see this happen... I only hope this player does not infect other teams next season... :o


Summer school conflict???? Most of the summer school sessions end on the 24th of July. That is plenty of time to make plans to travel to Nationals. Come on they new this already,then they should not have wasted the teams time. Who do you really blame, the kid or the Parents. The parents hav eto take full Responsibilityfor this screw up.


Blame is irrelevant. If you are planning on going to a season-ending National Championship tournament, you don't pick this kid for your team. Let her play rec ball.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by tcannizzo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am

Apparently the player has had a change of heart and the team is going.
Unfortunatley, the coach is not planning on going.
What a shame!
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
User avatar
tcannizzo
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:50 am

by THE MAD-DOG99 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

[quote="tcannizzo"]Apparently the player has had a change of heart and the team is going.
Unfortunatley, the coach is not planning on going.
What a shame![/quote

If the previous posts are accurate, the team should tell the kid and more importantly the parents to pound sand and stay home...
THE MAD-DOG99
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:07 am

by coolstuff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am

Shouldn't a player quit a team long before she gives birth?
User avatar
coolstuff
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:30 pm

coolstuff wrote:Shouldn't a player quit a team long before she gives birth?


Oh, I don't know! I played with a woman who played softball 2 days before she gave birth. She then came back the next week and played!!! CRAZY!!!
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

by socal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm

All I have to say is Karma is a BI***! I know people on this team and the whole team had already purchased airline tickets and booked rooms and this girl and her family just bail. Well I am glad to hear that they have been able to pick up another pitcher and the team is still attending nationals.
socal
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:50 pm

by anonlooker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:41 pm

tcannizzo wrote:Apparently the player has had a change of heart and the team is going.
Unfortunatley, the coach is not planning on going.
What a shame!


Last week she isn't going, this week she is.
"She loves me... she loves me not... she loves me... she...??"
Had a gf like that in HS, on prom night she was home alone. :o
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
User avatar
anonlooker
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm

by RACER X » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:03 pm

anonlooker wrote:
tcannizzo wrote:Apparently the player has had a change of heart and the team is going.
Unfortunatley, the coach is not planning on going.
What a shame!


Last week she isn't going, this week she is.
"She loves me... she loves me not... she loves me... she...??"
Had a gf like that in HS, on prom night she was home alone. :o


No she wasn't....she was with ME :o :lol: :lol:
RACER X
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions