Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

A team or B team

What's on your mind?

by DD's Catcher » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:41 am

SnocatzDad wrote:
DonnieS wrote:
SnocatzDad wrote: Teams have done a pretty good job self classifying, if anything teams tend to over classify themselves rather than sandbag by underclassifying.


Based on the few times we have been able to play socal teams, thats the way I would guess it is there. When youngest was first invited to play on a travel team, (here in Texas), the managers were adament about playing B. This was pre-eteamz, but I didnt understand how we would know how good (or bad) we were, unless we played A. My hope back in those days, 7 or 8 years ago, was that my dds would be good enough to play high school varsity and it made no sense to me to not play A.


I'm with you Donnie, you should always play at the highest level you can be competitive at in order to improve the fastest. The problem is that goes for your opponent as well. If you grossly overestimate your ability (i.e. end up winning less than 10% of your games, run ruled 75% of the time) you may still see some benefit for your team, but your doing a disservice to your opponents who are also looking to play games at the highest competitive level.

I'm okay in principle with teams dropping down a level after they find out they dove in too deep, problem is the teams that stayed in the shallow end to begin with are never happy about it. So in practice your better off starting where your confident your at least competitive and moving up if it turns out your good enough to compete higher, no one complains when teams up-classify themselves.


In my area we have A and B, we don't really consider rec. The problem i see around here is that new teams get started all of the time. If a kid isn't getting playing time, dad starts his own team. The majority of teams are really watered down. I think that it is good for fastpitch in the long run because it generates more exposure. It doesn't help as far as immediate competition. There are only so many solid players to go around, right?
User avatar
DD's Catcher
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:59 am

by sbfanatic » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:09 pm

No easy solution, except maybe adhere to the point system, when a "B" team has reached the amount of points they should be classified as an "A" team. They take their thumps during that first year at that age bracket, then compete when they are in their second year of that age bracket. Then the "A" tourneys would have better turn outs, you won't have "B" teams who place top two in every tournament and everyone would be in a similar playing level. With more "A" teams and available tournaments the top kids would drift to these "A" teams and those teams might be able to compete at a national level.
sbfanatic
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 pm

by MrIncredible » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: A team or B team
I believe each district or state office is responsible for setting up rules.

This discussion is without a doubt the fastpitch version of Roe v. Wade!!!

This has to be the most IGNORANT and thoughtless comparison I have ever read. I would hardly compare A and B teams with Life and Death.
A= TB, TB (daddy ball), TB (Traveling rec ball)
B= Rec, Rec (Allstar), Rec (Daddy ball before you go travel)

Stupid A$$
MrIncredible
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 pm

by SSdad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:20 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
MrIncredible wrote:Re: A team or B team
I believe each district or state office is responsible for setting up rules.

This discussion is without a doubt the fastpitch version of Roe v. Wade!!!

This has to be the most IGNORANT and thoughtless comparison I have ever read. I would hardly compare A and B teams with Life and Death.
A= TB, TB (daddy ball), TB (Traveling rec ball)
B= Rec, Rec (Allstar), Rec (Daddy ball before you go travel)

Stupid A$$

Then you need to get out more.
Note to poster...understand the context and nuance of the posts you are reading before posting your reply. If you need further edumacation there are any number of contributors here that can help you out


lol, nice spaz.

The confusion might be the governing body you are following.

In ASA, A= travel B&C = rec ball. Simple as that.

in Triple Crown, as said earlier, it depends on where you are put. I believe that if you win a triple crown tourney you are an A team, and if you played enough tournaments to qualify but never won, you are a B team
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
User avatar
SSdad
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:15 am

by MrIncredible » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:18 am

Spaz....I Understand the context, and the nuance of the post....Dont like the comparison!

To hard to understand?

Nice thing about HB, dont need no edumaction to post here
MrIncredible
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 pm

by lucky » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 am

Ahhh, yeah, that's pretty obvious... :lol:
User avatar
lucky
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: my own little world...

by WildRoseCoach » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:01 am

SSdad wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
MrIncredible wrote:Re: A team or B team
I believe each district or state office is responsible for setting up rules.

This discussion is without a doubt the fastpitch version of Roe v. Wade!!!

This has to be the most IGNORANT and thoughtless comparison I have ever read. I would hardly compare A and B teams with Life and Death.
A= TB, TB (daddy ball), TB (Traveling rec ball)
B= Rec, Rec (Allstar), Rec (Daddy ball before you go travel)

Stupid A$$

Then you need to get out more.
Note to poster...understand the context and nuance of the posts you are reading before posting your reply. If you need further edumacation there are any number of contributors here that can help you out


lol, nice spaz.

The confusion might be the governing body you are following.

In ASA, A= travel B&C = rec ball. Simple as that.

in Triple Crown, as said earlier, it depends on where you are put. I believe that if you win a triple crown tourney you are an A team, and if you played enough tournaments to qualify but never won, you are a B team


Not Oregon ASA... A & B = Travel, C = Rec
WildRoseCoach
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 am

by whatever » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 am

I play club tennis and our leagues in our clubs are governed by the USTA (United States Tennis Association) which has regional/district offices. I don't remember the exact rules but when teams/individuals win a certain percentage of games in a season or teams dominate multiple years they are automatically bumped up by the computer. If I win all of my singles matches as a 4.0 player, chances are good I'll be asked to play up to a 4.5 team next year. Captains have to report all scores, etc. to USTA anyway so it is easy to monitor.
whatever
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:46 am

by Demonboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:00 pm

WildRoseCoach wrote:In Oregon we have A, B (Typically the big difference between the two is pitching, defense is pretty similar with A/B Teams) and C (Which is Rec).

So in Cali if all travel teams must register A doesn't that dilute the whole classification?


Considering our B rec ball teams are pwning everyone else's B travel teams at B Western
Nationals every year, it's probably not hurting too bad.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"


"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
User avatar
Demonboy
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Hell

by Demonboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 pm

WildRoseCoach wrote:Kind of the same way the "Gold" is diluted with teams that probably shouldn't actually be classified as "Gold".

In my feable mind the "A" Classification should be for teams that are highly skilled and compete at a higher level. The "B" Classification is for those travel teams that don't have the talent of the "A" teams, but are more competitive than the LL or Rec Teams.

If every travel team must register as an "A" team, but really don't have the skilled players to be able to compete, then that dilutes the whole Classification.


In So Cal, that problem has been largely eliminated with the Gold classification requirements.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"


"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
User avatar
Demonboy
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Hell

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions