Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

14's Playing 18's

What's on your mind?

by Ace » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 pm

What do the moms on the 14u team look like?
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Ace
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:58 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:39 am

Ace wrote:What do the moms on the 14u team look like?


As a rule of thumb ... not as good as the 12's, a little better than the 16's, much better than the 18's and I'm not sure if 23's have Moms yet ... :o

Disclaimer: one exception to this rule is our team, especially my mate ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Missinit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:38 am

Sam wrote:Lots of 14U teams are better than 18U teams.

d) Play your butts off and hope you win.


The schedule was changed and they ended up playing someone else but by the time I left yesterday the 14 team was 3 an 0 and up by 3 or 4 to 0 in the first inning against an 18 team that had been beating everyone else.

Not to take anything away from the 14 team, they are a well coached team full of studs but boy was it depressing to watch the level of coaching and play at 18's.
I can't believe the gap between 14's and gold.

To any 18 parents out there, (I'm one myself) I'm sorry if I've offended any of you. That is not my intention.
If you show no mercy... you deserve no mercy!
Missinit
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 am

by DDG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:15 am

Skarp wrote:Terminate with extreme prejudice. I'm guessing that 14 team is playing up that far up for a reason.


Same happened a couple of weeks ago. 14u team beat the cr*p out of the 18u team. Maybe not a good comparison as the only reason the 18u team was 18u, was due to age of coaches' kids. Not based on ability.

If any team is playing up, they did so of their own choice. Show them the respect any team deserves and give it your best. If that results in a spanking, they deserve it. Unless you have knowledge of this team's ability, don't insult them by refusing to play.
User avatar
DDG
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 am

by soreshins » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 am

Many 14u teams have better talent than 18u teams. In our area, 18u teams are made up of 16 and 17 year olds that are not good enough to play gold. Many 18u teams are down right pathetic. While defeating an 18u team may seem like an achievement it really is not a big deal.

In the gold division, you have a lot teams that have no business claiming to be gold and have no shot at qualifying for gold nationals. These teams should be "18u" but no one wants to admit their players are not good enough to play gold. I have seen 14u squads defeat lower tier gold teams. I have yet to see a 14u squad be able to stay in the park with a legit gold team.
soreshins
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:43 am

by DonnieS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:10 am

soreshins wrote: I have yet to see a 14u squad be able to stay in the park with a legit gold team.


And you wont.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by Demonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:28 am

Sam wrote:Lots of 14U teams are better than 18U teams.

d) Play your butts off and hope you win.


So true. A top 14U team (often the case when playing up) will often beat the snot
out of most 18a teams.
Last edited by Demonboy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"


"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
User avatar
Demonboy
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Hell

by hotwheels » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:39 am

Skarp wrote:Terminate with extreme prejudice. I'm guessing that 14 team is playing up that far up for a reason.


Exactly right....This is what I think about he 16U division as well....My team is a first year 16 and we've played about 25 games since the high school break and only 10 of those have been against 16's......We've played 6 - 14's and 9 - 18's......A good majority of these teams are all within 1 year of each other.....

14's that are playing up are generrally doing that because they can or might kick your ass. the 16's that are competitive are few and far in between. Many, many more talented 14's and 18's of course.....There are several 18 teams that are all or mostly 92's and 93's.....My team is all 93's with one 95......I know the Corona Eliminators are mostly 94's with one or two younger......Every time we play them it is always one of our most hard fought games.....Same with OC Wildcats LC......Possibly Hurricanes 16U as well but not sure on that one......

Anyway, play the game and hope to win but I wouldn't focus on a first year 16 against a second year 14 etc......Gold team, then I would worry but not 18A, 16, or 2nd year 14's.....JMHO
User avatar
hotwheels
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Corona

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:47 am

I know another 16u team that you guys play close with!!! ;)
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

by hotwheels » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:00 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:I know another 16u team that you guys play close with!!! ;)


True, we still owe you guys for the last game you beat us!! hahaha
User avatar
hotwheels
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Corona

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions