by hit4power » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:00 pm
FWIW, ours got DD on the radar screen of several smaller schools who, otherwise, would never have found her or come to see her play.
1) Agree on no music
2) Keep it short - we put a summary of her best stuff (couple of swings, couple of fielding plays) right at the front before her little introductory speech. We figured most coaches could watch that and either move on or stay tuned.
3) Hitting - we showed two bunts, one up third base, one up first. Then we showed some swings off tee, then went to front toss. One coach commented that she liked seeing the tee work as she could slow it down on her PC and really analyze the swing. Some people advise hitting off a machine - I don't think it matters as long as you've got someone who can do decent front toss. One piece of advice we were given that I think is good is to keep picking up the batted balls (and any missed fielding balls) so no one sees twenty balls scattered around the infield and shallow outfield. Anything she crushes, leave it out there.
4) Ours plays 3B so we showed throws to first and throws to second while fielding a mix of balls hit to both sides and hit both hard and slow. Also showed bunt defense. Total of maybe 10-12 plays. We didn't edit the fielding much - there's one shot where she doesn't field a hard shot cleanly but finishes the play nicely. Got a coach comment that she liked seeing how DD handled that situation.
5) We did not show any base running - unless you are selling DD's speed, don't think you need to.
6) We closed with a text screen including name, phone, email, GPA and SAT
7) We paid to have a pro come and shoot it. I directed the action, choosing the camera angles, etc, but it was worth it to have someone with first class gear, and most importantly, good editing capabilities. Once we had the final edit, he burned the DVD's and did the YouTube upload. I recommend the DVD's - coaches can play them in slo-mo, and stop action on their PC's and the resolution is better than just watching YouTube.
8) Best thing we did was have the raw footage reviewed by DD's hitting coach and TB coach to get an unbiased perspective on the best shots to include. They both (especially the hitting coach) noticed things I would have never seen. I also had them review the final product and made a point of asking them whether or not they thought it would help or hurt DD.
Lastly, I think the videos are more important if you are aiming at the smaller schools. The big schools get too many to really do much with (I'm told) and they have the budgets to come watch whomever they want.