Sam wrote:
Complete rest and no softball related activities for 5 months. Tell her enjoy being a kid.
With all due respect to Sam, I cant imagine a 12 y/o kid having complete rest. And I wouldnt set a time frame, I have not had a problem with kids being sedentary, but if your kid gets lazy, get them busy doing something else. In the fall my girls played flag football and then basketball and lots of beach time. If I ever told them to do those things, I dont remember. I remember them telling me that I had to coach.
With regard to pitching, during off time, i.e. time of no tournaments, we would still throw once or twice a week, but we would have it be just basics, 20-25 minutes, usually a good warmup and throw 3-4 simumlated innings. Just enough that we werent starting all over again when we ramped up. Just think up things to make it fun, innings, or like Hal Skinner suggested, perfect pitches. His suggestion was dont throw for an hour or 1 and 15 minutes, or whatever. Throw 20 perfect changeups one day, on the other day, throw 15 pitches that are at your target speed or at 2 miles over. We backed off on lessons then as well, to once a month as I recall.