Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Westerns with your team or nationals with another

What's on your mind?

by Missinit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 pm

GSB wrote:
daylightkate wrote:If it was a team decision, stick with your team or otherwise, you are not considered a team player.


Props to the coach for letting the girls make the decision.


The decision was made at the beginning of the season when the schedule was handed out and fee's were paid. The coach found a way to get out of a decision he regretted.

Just thought I should also say, I like the coach and think he's trying his best I just don't agree with changing a schedule when you get to the critical part of the season.
What about the players that wanted to go to nationals, nationals was on the schedule but now they don't even get to try? Seems to me they have every right to feel like they got short changed.
If you show no mercy... you deserve no mercy!
Missinit
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 am

by GSB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Missinit wrote:
GSB wrote:
daylightkate wrote:If it was a team decision, stick with your team or otherwise, you are not considered a team player.


Props to the coach for letting the girls make the decision.


The decision was made at the beginning of the season when the schedule was handed out and fee's were paid. The coach found a way to get out of a decision he regretted.

Just thought I should also say, I like the coach and think he's trying his best I just don't agree with changing a schedule when you get to the critical part of the season.
What about the players that wanted to go to nationals, nationals was on the schedule but now they don't even get to try? Seems to me they have every right to feel like they got short changed.


Missinit,

I think your missing it (the point that is). The coach let the team decide. He didn't make the decision the girls did. Plans and schedules can change. I can see where a coach would put it to a vote after playing in a few qualifiers and the team not making the cut. Why pay the big bucks for Nationals just to get your backsides handed to ya? He put it out to the team and they voted. I guess they (the girls) were probably were thinking the same thing. Sorry you were on the losing end of the vote, but it goes that way sometimes. Remember, "the best laid plans of mice and men."
To each their own.
User avatar
GSB
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

by Missinit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 am

GSB wrote:
Missinit wrote:
GSB wrote:
daylightkate wrote:If it was a team decision, stick with your team or otherwise, you are not considered a team player.


Props to the coach for letting the girls make the decision.


The decision was made at the beginning of the season when the schedule was handed out and fee's were paid. The coach found a way to get out of a decision he regretted.

Just thought I should also say, I like the coach and think he's trying his best I just don't agree with changing a schedule when you get to the critical part of the season.
What about the players that wanted to go to nationals, nationals was on the schedule but now they don't even get to try? Seems to me they have every right to feel like they got short changed.


Missinit,

I think your missing it (the point that is). The coach let the team decide. He didn't make the decision the girls did. Plans and schedules can change. I can see where a coach would put it to a vote after playing in a few qualifiers and the team not making the cut. Why pay the big bucks for Nationals just to get your backsides handed to ya? He put it out to the team and they voted. I guess they (the girls) were probably were thinking the same thing. Sorry you were on the losing end of the vote, but it goes that way sometimes. Remember, "the best laid plans of mice and men."


Nationals, in our case, is actually half the distance as Westerns. We could drive to Nationals, we have to fly to Westerns.
I suppose you could have a good argument from either side.
The team hasn't been doing bad, They beat some good teams and lost to some teams they probably should have beat.
I think playing the better teams they would have seen at the qualifiers would be good for them and if they didn't qualify at least they get to face some good competition to help get them ready for Westerns.
If you show no mercy... you deserve no mercy!
Missinit
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 am

by Sam » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:25 am

Missinit wrote:
Sam wrote:
Missinit wrote:
Sam wrote:It is impossible to release a player from the ASA Championship Roster. She can't be on two rosters at the same time. Her current team would have to decide to go to a non-ASA Championship or fold....otherwise, she is stuck.


Well... guess that's one less decision she has to worry about, Westerns it is.
She tends to play better when she's mad anyways. ;)


Hope you didn't tell her coach about the situation.....I wouldn't play her much if I was him.


Why, because another team asked her to go to Nationals and she thought about it because the team she's with didn't stick to the agenda they handed out at the beginning of the season?

Why is it loyalty, commitment and honesty is only expected from the players and not the coach's yet the coach's are the one's that are grown adults?

There are alot of coach's out there that will lie through their teeth to get a player to join (some admittedly) and when the coach doesn't stick to what he said the player is still the one with no loyalty or commitment when they leave. Strange :?


If your DD asked me if she could go to another team to go to Nationals...that tells me one thing....she doesn't give a crap about her own team. If I were going to Western Nationals, I would use the players who actually WANTED to be there.

Your DD's team DID try to qualify and they failed. Your coach is choosing to go to a tournament that he thinks will benefit the team the most.

That said....when I had my 16U team....we didn't qualify and I terminated the team so that the players that could go to ASA Nationals as pickup players would be available to do so....five of them did just that and are all playing in college right now.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by Missinit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:44 am

Sam wrote:
Missinit wrote:
Sam wrote:
Missinit wrote:
Sam wrote:It is impossible to release a player from the ASA Championship Roster. She can't be on two rosters at the same time. Her current team would have to decide to go to a non-ASA Championship or fold....otherwise, she is stuck.


Well... guess that's one less decision she has to worry about, Westerns it is.
She tends to play better when she's mad anyways. ;)


Hope you didn't tell her coach about the situation.....I wouldn't play her much if I was him.


Why, because another team asked her to go to Nationals and she thought about it because the team she's with didn't stick to the agenda they handed out at the beginning of the season?

Why is it loyalty, commitment and honesty is only expected from the players and not the coach's yet the coach's are the one's that are grown adults?

There are alot of coach's out there that will lie through their teeth to get a player to join (some admittedly) and when the coach doesn't stick to what he said the player is still the one with no loyalty or commitment when they leave. Strange :?


If your DD asked me if she could go to another team to go to Nationals...that tells me one thing....she doesn't give a crap about her own team. If I were going to Western Nationals, I would use the players who actually WANTED to be there.

Your DD's team DID try to qualify and they failed. Your coach is choosing to go to a tournament that he thinks will benefit the team the most.

That said....when I had my 16U team....we didn't qualify and I terminated the team so that the players that could go to ASA Nationals as pickup players would be available to do so....five of them did just that and are all playing in college right now.


They have only played one of the three qualifiers on the schedule. If they got their butts handed to them I would understand but they played a decent tourny.

Anyways, I'm kinda feeling like we're whipping a dead horse here.
DD will go to Westerns with her team, play her butt off as usual and afterward we'll talk about next year.

Thanks for the opinions, they were enlightening.
If you show no mercy... you deserve no mercy!
Missinit
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:45 am

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 am

I have often wondered how much the girls care if it is "USA Nationals" vs a regional national like a Western vs like a USSSA championship, especially at them mid to lower ages.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

by Demonboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:40 pm

wadeintothem wrote:I have often wondered how much the girls care if it is "USA Nationals" vs a regional national like a Western vs like a USSSA championship, especially at them mid to lower ages.


Depends on the players. The Mark Campbell type players usually care. Some others don't.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"


"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
User avatar
Demonboy
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: Hell

by Dad » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:18 pm

wadeintothem wrote:I have often wondered how much the girls care if it is "USA Nationals" vs a regional national like a Western vs like a USSSA championship, especially at them mid to lower ages.


Last year my DD couldn’t play softball due to an illness. When the doctor released her it was late summer and she was out of shape. So after playing up in 16u for two years, we found a local 14u NSA B team that needed a player for the World Series. I wouldn’t have wanted to be the one to tell these girls that they weren’t at the most important tournament. The girls don’t care who they’re playing, they just want to play.
Dad
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:15 am

by Phantom » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Missinit wrote:Why is it loyalty, commitment and honesty is only expected from the players and not the coach's yet the coach's are the one's that are grown adults?

There are alot of coach's out there that will lie through their teeth to get a player to join (some admittedly) and when the coach doesn't stick to what he said the player is still the one with no loyalty or commitment when they leave. Strange :?


I too often wondered this in the early years but learned very quickly that its a two way street and you only need to give what you get and always do what is best for your DD regardless
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.
Phantom
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 am

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions