Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Is team exposure enough?

What's on your mind?

by TReck » Tue May 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Need to see it up close. I could see it as a real advantage for hitting infield. Only need 1 ball and if they miss it, they could turn around and try to get it on the rebound. Or it could just come back and hit them in the butt. Good reinforcement tool for staying down on the ball.

This is simlilar, but when I was about 10 I got tired of chasing golf balls after I hit them, so I put a screw in the side, tied a string to it and hit it, then reeled it back in. Worked well until it went through a neighbors window and got stuck.

Ty
TReck
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 am

TReck wrote:Need to see it up close. I could see it as a real advantage for hitting infield. Only need 1 ball and if they miss it, they could turn around and try to get it on the rebound. Or it could just come back and hit them in the butt. Good reinforcement tool for staying down on the ball.

This is simlilar, but when I was about 10 I got tired of chasing golf balls after I hit them, so I put a screw in the side, tied a string to it and hit it, then reeled it back in. Worked well until it went through a neighbors window and got stuck.

Ty


I thought you were a screw ball :lol:

Edit: A little R&D would have shown you that a simple modification by attaching 10lb test and setting the reel on your rod to free spooling would have made your gimmick fly and retrieve easier ... you could also include an 'auto retrieve' option by attaching one end of a 10' long bungie cord around your leg and the other end attached to your golf ball ... No Charge.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by TReck » Wed May 13, 2009 6:50 am

In several field tests last night with the "whack-u-bat" it appears you may need to have several warnings posted on the equipment, such as, the need to wear protective devices when using. Also it would be best to have all participants sign waivers prior to training. Other than that I think our field trials went good. Not sure if our softball skills improved, but the girls got tougher and moral is better than ever

Thanks,
Ty
TReck
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

by onedownonetogo » Wed May 13, 2009 7:16 am

TReck wrote:The list on the front page of the web site is the list of schools that have attended over the last 12 months. After each event we send out a list to all who participated of who all attended. I am not sure how many times or how many ways I need to say that. Each of those attended one or more events in 2008.

ty


You've never said this before on any forum or post, here on heybucket or elsewhere I've found. You've always before said the list below was just the list of schools "who have attended in the past" and "who get regularly updated," but that you do not track what college coaches actually show up at each events. You can say what you want but, your statement directly from your website does not mention any 12-month attendance. If it is, GREAT, but why was this so hard to get out of you?

COLLEGE INFORMATION -
The following list contains the names of the colleges who have attended and regularly get updated information on past and future Southern Star All-Star and/or Team Events:

Georgia Southern University
Armstrong Atlantic State University
Savannah College of Art and Design
Kennessaw State University
Young Harris College
Tallahassee College
Mercer University
Agnes Scott College
University of Georgia
Georgia Tech
Piedmont College
Middle Georgia College
University of Tennessee
University of South Carolina - Columbia
Lagrange College
University of South Carolina - Sumter
University of South Carolina - Beaufort
Univeristy of South Carolina - Aiken
Emory University
Wingate University
Alabama State University
Georgia Perimeter
North Greenville College
Pasco-Hernadez CC
Brevard College
Newberry College
Presbyterian College
Charleston Southern University
College of Charleston
College of Coastal Georgia
Brewton Parker College
ABAC
Wesleyan College
Appalachian State University
Augusta State University
University of North Florida
University of Central Florida
St. Petersburg College
UNC-Wilmington
Austin Peay State University
Frances Marion University
Coastal Carolina University
West Georgia University
Georgia College and State University
Anderson College
Erskine College
Georgia State
University of Alabama
Marion Military College
Florida State University
Florida Southern
Elon University
McNeese State University
Southern University
Southern Wesleyan
Savannah State
onedownonetogo
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:05 pm

by Blind Squirrel » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 am

Lets review:

A guy comes on here talking about exposure tournaments he is putting on. He gets scrutinized and beat on by the usual HB suspects, including me (perhaps not so usual in my case - I don't post enough to qualify). He defends himeself and his endeavor and predictably/appropriately is met with more scrutiny, etc. Rather than damn HB and all who frequent this site, he eventually shows some humor.

My conclusion: It is unlikely that my kid or the teams she was on would have ever attended the tournments preferring to participate in higher profile, better attended, more established exposure tournaments. Treck's tournaments likely, however, are a good fit for some. And I give him props for not being a complete A-Hole. And if "it takes one to know one" I challenge anyone to suggest that I'm not an unusally well qualified judge of complete A-Holeness.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
User avatar
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 am

by TReck » Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 am

John,
I am not 100% sure, but I think "THANKS" is appropriate. I have been called a lot worse by a lot of people. But I think what you were saying was sorta, kinda a compliment, so "THANKS". If you are one, you are at least proud enough of who you are and what you say to sign your name, so that in my book says a lot about you. If you were just an a$$h0!* you would hide behind a fake name and throw rocks without any fear of repercussion. My Daddy always said, don't say nothing unless you are proud of it and willing to back it up. So no matter what message board you see me on, and I post on A LOT of them, I always sign my name.

I think your assessment of the Southern Star is appropriate. It is not for everyone, but does work for those who put the time and effort into it. Meaning that they do their part ot send out information to college coaches and ask them to come watch them play. After traveling around with fastpitch for the last 6 years I have found a LOT (and I mean A LOT) of very good players on not so very good teams. They needed an outlet or an avenue to promote themselves. Also a lot of very good players are on overbearing high school teams that require them to do so much in the summer that they can not attend good team showcases. Therefore they fall through the cracks.

There are also a lot of 12th-17th players on VERY good teams, that do not get as promoted as they should. They need help too. Those are the players who need the Southern Star. They can't switch teams or be on good teams. Should they be left out of the college pool?

So with the help of 6 college coaches from GA and SC, I started this Southern Star. I charge enough to cover all expenses, unless I win the lottery I have to. If I do win the lottery, I will do it for free. I feel that strongly about it. There is one event much bigger than mine (or so he says) that costs twice as much and the girls play 1/3 less time on the field. But it fills up every year.

I think if you look at a couple of major showcases, the Rising Star for one. They are starting to offer an event like mine, with many of the same guidlines I have (I am not saying they are copying me, but if it looks like a fish, swims in the water and smells like a fish, well then is it a fish?), as an added bonus, in front of their regular team showcase. So I know what we are doing works. But we still do some unique things that make us different.

We are starting to get a lot of interest for all of our August events. I hope you can make one of them. It would be great to meet the people who post in these sites.

Ty
TReck
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm

TReck wrote:In several field tests last night with the "whack-u-bat" it appears you may need to have several warnings posted on the equipment, such as, the need to wear protective devices when using. Also it would be best to have all participants sign waivers prior to training. Other than that I think our field trials went good. Not sure if our softball skills improved, but the girls got tougher and moral is better than ever

Thanks,
Ty


I don't know about the name 'whack-u-bat' ... kinda has a 'dolphin-flogger' or 'carrot-waxer' ring to it ... back to the drawing board :idea:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by TReck » Sat May 23, 2009 9:42 pm

The schedule for the 2009 Southern Star Team Showcase has been posted. 48 teams from 5 states all together in once place. This is for those players and teams that prefer the team atmospere for a showcase.

Go to www.southernstarsoftball.com

Ty
TReck
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions