Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Fork and Beans

What's on your mind?

by dodgerblue » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am

Looking at the video yes this is chicken shit and nobody deserves this. Everyone on here is making assumptions of what could've happened and what should've happened on so on. My DD has been the victim of an intentional beaning and most of the time they knew it was coming. I asked my DD if she was ok gave me the nod and point was proven and move on. What should I have done file charges? Then that kid doesn't pitch in the PAC 12 and my DD is known in the fastpitch world as the one who filed charges against a team and pitcher who intentionally hit my DD? Everyone on here needs to relax that was a bonehead move and "No" he's not going to quit coaching and "yes" he will still send softball players to college and "yes" like it or not college coaches will still call.
dodgerblue

by MoeFoes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:54 am

I have a few questions.
How do you get hit in the face if your watching the pitch?
Does the score revert back since the inning wasn't completed? And how would you score it on gamechanger? UHBP or E on C?
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

by Fredegar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 am

Yes, the video looks bad, but like a few of you, I'll resist the urge to form an opinion since no one has gotten the full story from all sides.

Just wanted to add this: Beaning a batter is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from beaning an umpire. Some of you are acting as if it's a similar thing. There is no situation in ANY sport that warrants physically attacking the officials.
Fredegar

by jonriv » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 am

Think the coach should be held responsible- if the player acted alone as was claimed in an earlier pots, the obvious question would be how did the coach discipline them?

I aggree- there is NEVER a good reason to assult an official

I also am not a big fan of beaning- I can understand a brush-back or controlling, but purposly hitting a player is a slippery slope
jonriv

by dodgerblue » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 am

So its OK to assault a player? There's no difference between the 2. Too many assumptions here and we will never know the true story.
dodgerblue

by Fredegar » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 am

dodgerblue wrote:So its OK to assault a player? There's no difference between the 2. Too many assumptions here and we will never know the true story.

We'll have to agree to disagree about a HBP being considered "assault". It's not a NICE part of the game, but it IS part of the game. There's a way to score it, it's a stat, it counts for on-base %, major-leaguers wear all kinds of protection because it happens so often.

If you're saying there's no difference between a statement inside pitch, and blatantly attacking an official, well, I'm stunned. Players, unfortunately, get into it with each other all the time, in many sports. It's not right, I don't condone it, and there should be appropriate consequences when it happens. But officials MUST be untouchable. Sorry...this isn't remotely the same thing.
Fredegar

by as the world turns » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am

dodgerblue wrote:So its OK to assault a player? There's no difference between the 2. Too many assumptions here and we will never know the true story.

If you don't see a difference between a batter and an umpire getting purposely beaned, you don't understand the game.

But if I ever get charged for a crime, I want you on my jury :lol: .
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Comp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37 am

MoeFoes wrote:I have a few questions.
How do you get hit in the face if your watching the pitch?
Does the score revert back since the inning wasn't completed? And how would you score it on gamechanger? UHBP or E on C?

Can you dodge a ball that was suppose to be caught less than 3' in front of your face after the glove has been pulled away? The umpires job is to hold their position and watch the pitch all the way into the catchers glove, not to dodge pitches.

From what I have read the umpires ruled the game a forfeit, as I recall score is registered as a 7-0 win but would have to double check rules.
Comp

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 am

I agree with Comp. Open front face mask. Your best approach is to steady up and take the ball off the mask. You get to turning your head, or moving around a lot that is when the ball hits you on the unprotected noggin, or worse your ear.

Blue handled this correctly. Also, from what is in the video, his calls did not seem that bad.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by blackwidow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55 am

@jtat
Would you agree that judging people and judging their actions or their ideas are very different things? Could you be confusing the two?

That coach just made a horrible decision that put his players in jeopardy of losing their scholarship, put the umpire at risk of injury and brought the game down to a tit for tat level.
Instead of saying shame on him for his actual action… shame on everyone else for judging those actions accordingly.

People make judgments all the time. It’s human nature.
Have you not just made a boatload of judgments in your answers to my questions?

Thank you for your responses you have made your position quite clear.

@Always Improve
That is a very nice anecdotal story but not really an answer to my very specific questions. It’s okay that if don’t want to answer them. I appreciate the response anyway.

I will tell one anecdotal story about my DD. When she was being recruited, her coaches were watching one of her games. Her team lost the game due to a bunch of defensive errors. My DD came off the field and threw her glove on the ground in frustration. At her next conversation with her perspective coach the coach mentioned this incident. She had seen it. She was told that she was always expected to exhibit good sportsmanship…no matter what the situation.
We thought of this as a pretty harmless thing but to her coach it was an indication of her character.

Anyway, people make judgments’ based on behavior all the time. To expect otherwise is unrealistic.

~PEACE
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
blackwidow

Location: riding a horse so high your complaints just sound like ant farts to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions