Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Finch Windmill

What's on your mind?

by REALLY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 pm

DonnieS wrote:Friend, look it up, do a search here or do a search on the eteamz board . We go through the Finch Windmill discussion about every 4 months.

a) my daughter has used it for 7 years -
b) no - you wont pick up 5 mph in 3-6 weeks
c) yes - its part of a broad set of extensive exercises that works out both shoulders as well as
the back
d) if you have serious questions, call Doug, his phone number is on the website - his tips and
advice were worth what the machine cost to me.

The funniest posts are the ones like this
"Finch Windmill for sale - like new, barely used, didnt work for us" - Hilarious - if you buy it, make your kid use it , best workout for the time expended there is.

I agree 100% it only works if they use it. The biggest benefit is the muscle balance it creates and the exercise can be done everyday no matter the weather conditions. total time to do the whole cycle about 6 minutes.
In the immortal words of the great Spazsdad "Don't get all butt hurt" ;)Image
REALLY

by ontheblack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 pm

DD has had one since Feb. She uses it as a warm-up tool as well as working the opposite arm/shoulder. During the summer we used it a bit differently. She was throwing a lot of innings, so we substituted the windmill for some of her mid week pitching practices.

She realized a notable increase in speed over a two month period during the summer, but I'm reluctant to attribute it soley to the windmill.

I have also found it to be a good tool for pointing out and fixing flaws in her motion.

Doug is very generous with his time and loves the game. Above all he really cares for the athlete.
ontheblack

by ferst » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:05 pm

You ask, "Does it really work?"

I’ll describe my personal experience with the “Finch Windmill.” I purchased one for my daughter/pitcher in May 2006 after her high school freshman season. Since then she has used it as part of her daily workout regimen. Her daily workout regimen for her pitching includes:

* A couple of hundred pitches (which not only includes going through all of her pitches, but also long toss, and heavy/light balls)
* specific stretching exercises to maintain range of motion and flexibility
* Spin-Right Spinner
* TightSpin Trainer (added this to the workout Oct. 2007)
* Finch Windmill

She had a good deal of success though both her high school career and 18Gold travel ball. She was fortunate to have a number college D1 opportunities to consider. She is just now beginning her freshman year of college and plans on being an impact player from the get-go.

The operative word above is “daily.” I am convinced to be a successful pitcher you have to be extremely dedicated and disciplined to daily workouts. It is pretty close to a 365 day commitment and very few are willing to make the necessary commitment. If you are looking for any single device to be a “magic bullet” to achieving anything, you will be disappointed.

Would I buy a Finch Windmill today? … absolutely, positively, yes!

* Some things I like about the Finch Windmill:
* it is very convenient device
* it is simple to use
* this single component of daily workout is quick
* it is very durable and high quality
* you exercise both sides of the body
* develops full extension and range of motion
* develops flexibility

A few words about how the Finch Windmill exercises and develops both sides of the body (because I think it is very important). Pitching naturally develops one side of your body. The Finch Windmill is very effective at developing the other side too. This is not only important for physical balance, which helps pitchers. I believe it is even more important for batters. Ever notice pitchers who were great batters when they were younger, but as they moved to more competitive levels and continued to develop as pitchers, their batting seemed to decline? Ever wonder why? I think I know a big reason why … a right handed pitcher naturally develops their right hand, arm, and shoulder which makes their right side more dominant than their left side. If a right handed pitcher is a right handed batter, this increasing dominance of their right side will negatively affect their batting. The opposite is the case for a left handed pitcher who is a left handed batter. I strongly believe a big reason being in batting, your bottom hand (the one closest to the knob of the bat) needs to be the more dominant hand. For a batter, the problem with the top hand becoming more dominant than the bottom hand is that this creates a tendency in the swing for the top hand to roll over the bottom hand, which is a critical mistake for a batter. The Finch Windmill allows you to easily and effectively exercise and develop your non-pitching side which aids in preventing one-sided dominance.

Balanced physical development is also critical in preventing injury. Not to mention, recognizing the rigors of being a pitcher (at times pitching 2 or 3 games in a day) my daughter has certainly had injuries but she has never had arm or shoulder issues. I can’t prove it but I do believe that her commitment to using the Finch Windmill is a major reason for this.

As far as pitch speed improvements, again, I can’t prove it but I do believe that my daughter’s commitment to using the Finch Windmill has supported it. However, I would caution anyone from becoming pre-occupied with speed as the predominant factor for pitching success. I believe that full pitch command of location, movement, and variations of speed are the 3 critical elements to pitching success. Speed without command of location, movement, and variations of speed will seriously hinder a pitcher’s success. As an aside, and a whole different discussion, I believe that having a multiple of different types of pitches (curve, drop, screw, rise, change, etc.), without a particular type of pitch having all 3 of these critical elements means that a pitcher doesn’t have that type of pitch.

This review sounds like I have a vested interest in the sales of Finch Windmills. I assure you I have absolutely no affiliation with Doug or Jennie Finch. However, when I bought my Finch Windmill, to save the shipping cost, Doug invited me to swing by to pick it up. It was great to meet him, and he was more than willing to sit and talk softball and pitching. He has very definitive opinions and is more than willing to share his thoughts and advice. Haven’t had any contact with him since, but maybe this review will find its way to his attention … and I’d like to say thank you … for my daughter the Finch Windmill was well worth the money!
ferst

by leatherglove » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:14 am

Doug and Jennie are great for the game. Both my DDs took lessons from Doug when they were 9,10 years old. Jennie would pop in once in while during summer breaks from Airizona. Always taking time to say high to all the girls, some people just get it.
leatherglove

by aojr03 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:27 pm

I really appreciate the feedback I got from everyone. And you guys were right, I got on the phone and he was more than happy to provide some great feedback on not just the windmill, but pitching in general. Needless to say I ordered it. You only get these years once with your kids right?
aojr03

by Judd » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:19 am

My DD hit a plateau with pitching and we were about to give it up as she was very behind in speed. I know speed isnt everything but 38 at 12U just isnt going to work. In December we started with a new instructor and bought a windmill. Yesterday she hit 47 several times. She also gained speed after a 3 week injury/sick period but she used the windmill every day. The only way she picked up speed over 3 weeks of not pitching is the windmill.

I contribute the windmill and her advanced instructor to the increase.

I think 51-52 by March is reasonable and it may just earn her some mound time at 14U this season. Maybe, hopefully

Its not the end all, be all tool, but it surely helps and I have NO regret buying it and I have no plan on selling it anytime soon. My only regret is I should have used the opportunity to call Doug, but I had nothing to ask.
Judd

by TGISoftball » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 am

DD has been using the Finch Windmill for 4 years. Within a very short period of time her speed picked up 4 mph. After that spike she continued to have steady increases over time. We have it mounted on a wall in her bedroom so she can use it every day. However, I can always tell when she needs reminding, because after a couple weeks she'll drop a mile or two. Once back on regular use, her speed pulls back up. She's off to play D-1 college ball next year and we'll be sending it with her.

BTW, I can't say enough about Doug Finch - he is really supportive of the girls and their successes. He is all about pitching mechanics and making sure the girls motions are safe - he's looking for long term success, not short term gains.
TGISoftball

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions