Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Composite bat longevity

What's on your mind?

by dittoz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Been thinking about this one for awhile...

DD is 14u and swings a Demarini CF3. She's not the biggest kid in the world by any means, but definitely hits well. For those of you that are around them, you'll know that as these bats break in, the clearcoat on the surface begins to show mico-cracking similar to splintered glass. Others around us also experienced this as did others around them, so I'm not too worried about it. The bat continues to perfrom very well.

However, now that the bat seems to be fully broken in, I can report the following:

5 months of hitting with this bat...
4 months of individual hitting practice above and beyond tournaments and practices with THIS bat...
Each workout is approx 6-8 buckets of dimples - each approx 30 balls-worth...
Working out 3-4 days a week...

So...

After 5 months, we've worked out about 18 weeks making it roughly 11,000 hits. That may be plus or minus 1000, but we're still very likely north of 10,000 mostly dimple ball hits!

Now according to the Easton guys, their bat would probably be a limp-**** by now, but the CF3 still seems to be going strong. I don't want to turn this into a promo for DeMarini, but how long should we expect this thing to last? I'm getting ready to buy another one and it is going to be a pure game-bat since I don't want to go through a $200 bat 2-3 times a year. This one will then become a practice bat and the new one will be game-only provided something doesn't happen to one of them along the way...

Anyone else worn out a CF3 and what was the time-frame and indicators?
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 pm

dittoz wrote:Been thinking about this one for awhile...

DD is 14u and swings a Demarini CF3. She's not the biggest kid in the world by any means, but definitely hits well. For those of you that are around them, you'll know that as these bats break in, the clearcoat on the surface begins to show mico-cracking similar to splintered glass. Others around us also experienced this as did others around them, so I'm not too worried about it. The bat continues to perfrom very well.

However, now that the bat seems to be fully broken in, I can report the following:

5 months of hitting with this bat...
4 months of individual hitting practice above and beyond tournaments and practices with THIS bat...
Each workout is approx 6-8 buckets of dimples - each approx 30 balls-worth...
Working out 3-4 days a week...

So...

After 5 months, we've worked out about 18 weeks making it roughly 11,000 hits. That may be plus or minus 1000, but we're still very likely north of 10,000 mostly dimple ball hits!

Now according to the Easton guys, their bat would probably be a limp-**** by now, but the CF3 still seems to be going strong. I don't want to turn this into a promo for DeMarini, but how long should we expect this thing to last? I'm getting ready to buy another one and it is going to be a pure game-bat since I don't want to go through a $200 bat 2-3 times a year. This one will then become a practice bat and the new one will be game-only provided something doesn't happen to one of them along the way...

Anyone else worn out a CF3 and what was the time-frame and indicators?

It's not that the bat would be limp by now, it would be that the Easton bat is now broken in and the spotting will start showing which would make the bat illegal. I would still venture to guess that the bat is still good and could continue for many more hits.
Sftbll4ever

by wadeintothem » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 pm

I'd have to see it, but consider this...

Just speaking reality, and the way things are: you could go the entire upcoming HS and TB season with this bat only to have it yanked at nationals over those microcracks. Thats just the way things are.

Visible Cracks = illegal bat in ASA.

Those microcracks that form at the handle-barrel section and certain other areas = bat will be sitting in the tourneys UIC storage area.

I am quite sure you could get away with this bat in 95% of the games played.. but if Nationals are in the picture, start warming up a new bat and save your self some serious heartache. At nationals, your bat gets checked by umpires who want to work Sunday. And that means your bat goes. And you wont get it back until the tourney is over.

It could get pulled before that. One things for sure, it will not be at a convenient time when this bat gets noticed as illegal.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dittoz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for that insight Wade - would be interesting to hear if that occurs this year at all in the various Nat'l events... in talking to others we know who swing the same bat, it seems this is an "expected" occurence with the CF3 - not sure about the Phenix. (Hopefully you don't start benching bats as a result of this post!)

We'll def be warming up a new one as the season progresses, but at the same time I'm curious where the bat starts to drop off - doesn't sound like anyone is having it happen at this point.
dittoz

by Cannonball » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 am

dittoz, I understand that you don't want a p-ing contest on bats but then wonder your point. DD uses an Easton Synergy. She hits 150 balls every day. Dimpled. Everyday would include last January at this time to now. IMHO, that bat is just now getting broken in.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by txfastptchcoach » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:30 am

My daughter owns a Blue/Grey Easton Synergy and has had it for going on 3 years. First two years (10U) hit once a week for lessons and practice twice a week along with games on the weekend. It is now just a game bat only. This is the best bat we've owned. She has Virus and Rocket Tech also but I can't get that Synergy out of her hands. If anyone has a Blue/Grey 31/21 Easton I would be willing to take it off your hands. 8-)

Just PM me and I will reply back.
txfastptchcoach

by dittoz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am

My point? Quite simple...

There's been discussions here as to how long a composite bat lasts and this is just a personal experience and follow-up question to it... E***** supposedly says about 5-6000 hits before it starts getting blotchy, indicating something - not actually sure what.

Aside from that point, it's a bit slow and was looking for some discussion material too :D

On the note of that Blue/Grey Synergy, I think that's been one of the best composite bats out there. I too would love to pick up a 31/21...
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 am

dittoz wrote:Thanks for that insight Wade - would be interesting to hear if that occurs this year at all in the various Nat'l events... in talking to others we know who swing the same bat, it seems this is an "expected" occurence with the CF3 - not sure about the Phenix. (Hopefully you don't start benching bats as a result of this post!)

Yep, Ive stood right there when the "expected occurance" argument was being begged and pleading by distressed daddys as their beloved DD's bat is getting a piece of tape with her name on it stuck to it and the bat promptly stuck into the golf cart right next to the UIC's hot dog and diet coke.

That argument dont work.

Smart move that you are warming up a new one!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by dittoz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 am

Actually, that could get rather tough as the bat apparently does that fairly early on and they seem to do it pretty consistently. Further yet, this could become a REAL pain if a "just broken-in" bat starts showing that cracked surface right before big-tourney time. Even worse if it's the new one that's just been warmed up! :o

I wonder what DeMarini has to say about this. Just may have to give them a call, even though I'm sure that the CSR person tasked with answering the phone would have absolutely no clue.

Hmmmm...
dittoz

by 3Bsnag » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 am

What would be even more interesting to me would be to hear what ASA has to say about this as we enter an expanded area of umpire judgment.

On the Eastons Clarity bats, at what point of color change does an umpire pull the bat? Spotted white, half white, all white?

On the "flex" bats, what stage of splintering does the umpire pull the bat?

Technically, they can pull one for excessive wear, obvious alterations, damage, or any rattling. Now we're dealing with judgment on color and/or paint finish?

Hopefully, we'll see sound decisions. Is it banned-no, is it stamped-yes, is it damaged-no = play ball. But there's always one...
3Bsnag

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions