Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Scoring a Run

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by maroonthruandthru » Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm

When is a runner classified as a scored run? If a runner touches home plate then runs back toward 3rd base and is tagged out is it a run or is she rule out?
maroonthruandthru

by Battle » Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm

maroonthruandthru wrote:When is a runner classified as a scored run? If a runner touches home plate then runs back toward 3rd base and is tagged out is it a run or is she rule out?

Did she think she missed 3rd? :?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by maroonthruandthru » Sun May 10, 2015 7:48 pm

this was the situation. Bases were loaded with one out. There was a pop up between 1st base and home. The umpire called the infield fly rule. The pitcher missed the pop up. The girl on 3rd ran home and touched home. Then for some reason she ran back toward 3rd base where she was tagged out before she could reach the base.
maroonthruandthru

by Comp » Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 am

A runner who has scored with no possible appeal for leaving early, missing a base etc cannot unscore themselves. They cannot be put out, but can be guilty of interference. If they were judged to have interfered, then the runner closest to home would be out, but the run would still score.
Comp

by maroonthruandthru » Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 am

where can this be found in the softball rule book?
maroonthruandthru

by Comp » Mon May 11, 2015 1:58 pm

There isnt a rule that actually states that fact, but, a runner who has scored is considered to be a retired runner and a retired runner cannot be put out or "unretire" themselves. NFHS rules 2.50 Art 2. I dont know what rule set you were playing under, but NFHS does have a case play 2.49 Sit B discussing a fly ball to the outfield with bases loaded and the runner from 3rd advances home. The ball is dropped and for whatever reason the runner believes it to be caught and tries to return to 3rd. The ruling is the run scores, bases remain loaded and if the umpires judge the scored runner attempting to return to 3rd interfered with the defenses ability to make a play on another runner, the runner closest to home would be out.
Comp

Return to The Umpire Corner