Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Rubber question?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by Pale Rider » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:55 am

Dang sure not a pitching expert:)
Recently, saw a pitcher, standing in back of circle...getting pitch sign from dugout...she'd immediately walk up on rubber and let fly...
Someone stated they had to take sign from the rubber...and I dunno...so I gave my 'deep in thought' look and watched rest of game:)
Whats the rule on that?...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I believe the pitcher needs to pause a few seconds to receive a signal so she doesn't quick pitch the batter. They can take the signal anywhere in the circle, but still must pause before beginning the pitch. I have seen a few pitchers do this and basically they are doing their walk through warm-ups. Not sure where it is in the rulebook, but seen it called many times.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Comp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 pm

There is no rule limiting where the pitcher may take, or from whom they may take the signal. The rule simply states the pitcher, after engaging the pitching plate with the hands separated, and with the hands remaining separated must take, or simulate taking a signal. There is no amount of time referenced as to how long the hands must be kept apart. The rule is merely to keep a pitcher from engaging and immediately going into the pitching motion. It is completely umpire judgement as to if the pitcher has kept the hands apart long enough to satisfy the rule.

As to the original post, if the pitcher is engaging and immediatly going into pitching motion it should be called an illegal pitch.
Comp

by Pale Rider » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:11 pm

eclipse09 wrote:I believe the pitcher needs to pause a few seconds to receive a signal so she doesn't quick pitch the batter. They can take the signal anywhere in the circle, but still must pause before beginning the pitch. I have seen a few pitchers do this and basically they are doing their walk through warm-ups. Not sure where it is in the rulebook, but seen it called many times.

Thats what she was doing, never really stopped...was *real* close to being a quick pitch...didnt matter though...she got shelled ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:56 am

Just a note, because I've seen pitchers do this as a mind game.

Unlike SP, the pitcher doesn't actually have to a complete stop of the entire body. The pitcher can step onto the pitcher's plate and still be moving her arms all over the place. The judgment is whether there was a distinctive period of time between engaging the PP and bringing the hands together.

The rule should probably be changed to requiring a pause, but then you will have people arguing over the definition of a pause unless they attach a specific time to it.
MTR

by Battle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 am

Pale Rider wrote:Dang sure not a pitching expert:)
Recently, saw a pitcher, standing in back of circle...getting pitch sign from dugout...she'd immediately walk up on rubber and let fly...
Someone stated they had to take sign from the rubber...and I dunno...so I gave my 'deep in thought' look and watched rest of game:)
Whats the rule on that?...

What sanction were they playing?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Patrick » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Comp wrote:There is no rule limiting where the pitcher may take, or from whom they may take the signal. The rule simply states the pitcher, after engaging the pitching plate with the hands separated, and with the hands remaining separated must take, or simulate taking a signal. There is no amount of time referenced as to how long the hands must be kept apart. The rule is merely to keep a pitcher from engaging and immediately going into the pitching motion. It is completely umpire judgement as to if the pitcher has kept the hands apart long enough to satisfy the rule.

As to the original post, if the pitcher is engaging and immediatly going into pitching motion it should be called an illegal pitch.

It's not an illegal pitch, it's a no pitch!
Patrick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:42 am

Battle wrote:What sanction were they playing?

ASA Rules I guess...Fall ball around here you'll see Umps with HS type insignia, Chico's Bail Bonds or ASA caps etc...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:48 am

Patrick wrote:
Comp wrote:There is no rule limiting where the pitcher may take, or from whom they may take the signal. The rule simply states the pitcher, after engaging the pitching plate with the hands separated, and with the hands remaining separated must take, or simulate taking a signal. There is no amount of time referenced as to how long the hands must be kept apart. The rule is merely to keep a pitcher from engaging and immediately going into the pitching motion. It is completely umpire judgement as to if the pitcher has kept the hands apart long enough to satisfy the rule.

Isn't the spirit of the quick pitch rule that the pitcher is returning the ball in such a manner as to catch the batter off balance before she has time to get set ? Declaring a 'no pitch' so as not to give the defense an advantage or offense a disadvantage ? The OP indicates the pitcher was behind the rubber and then once she stepped on the rubber did not simulate taking a sign ... That would be an infraction by the pitcher and an illegal pitch, not a quick pitch ... right ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Comp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:23 am

Patrick wrote:

Attempting to catch the batter off balance is a quick pitch, andwould be a no pitch situation. Per the original post the pitcher has not met the requirements of the pitching regulations and it is an illegal pitch.
Comp

Next

Return to The Umpire Corner