Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

New pitcher rule question

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by 4s dad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:34 pm

ASA rules.

This came up at a qualifier last weekend. A new pitcher entered the game, took a warm up or two and was substituted for by a third pitcher.

I thought the pitcher must face at least one batter, but could not find this mentioned in the ASA rulebook. I am probably jaded by the MLB rule.

Does anyone have a reference?
4s dad

by MTR » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm

4s dad wrote:ASA rules.

This came up at a qualifier last weekend. A new pitcher entered the game, took a warm up or two and was substituted for by a third pitcher.

I thought the pitcher must face at least one batter, but could not find this mentioned in the ASA rulebook. I am probably jaded by the MLB rule.

Any player, regardless of defensive position, is never required to throw a pitch at any time to any one. And since no such thing exists, there is nothing to reference.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 am

MTR wrote:

Any player, regardless of defensive position, is never required to throw a pitch at any time to any one. And since no such thing exists, there is nothing to reference.

Once the new pitcher entered the game, whether she throws a pitch or not the third pitcher can come in as her legal substitute ... I have an older book handy 2010 but Read Section 4-6 and you may be interested in the Courtesy Runner Rule 8-10 and how it applies in the first inning.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:49 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Once the new pitcher entered the game, whether she throws a pitch or not the third pitcher can come in as her legal substitute ... I have an older book handy 2010 but Read Section 4-6 and you may be interested in the Courtesy Runner Rule 8-10 and how it applies in the first inning.

I'm very much aware of how the courtesy runner rule applies in the first inning from the beginning. But that has zip to do with the question asked.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:38 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

I'm very much aware of how the courtesy runner rule applies in the first inning from the beginning. But that has zip to do with the question asked.

I'm aware you are aware ... I was addressing the original poster
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Yet you quote my post. And you folks think the rule book is confusing?
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:30 am

MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
MTR wrote:

Yet you quote my post. And you folks think the rule book is confusing?

"You folks" ? Not sure what you mean by "You Folks" as there is no description in the rule book. ;)

The rule books are no different than any other subject ... The more you turn the pages, see the situations and discuss the topic the more comforatble you become ... Isn't that the purpose of threads such as this ? Telling someone the answer you are looking for isn't there with out pointing them in a direction to find relevant information does little to help them become less confused and more knowledgable - IMO .

Sorry for the confusion ... I quoted your response in my post as a way of adding to it ... Although it is 100% correct, I felt that it did little to help the original poster find relevant information in the book to help them become more knowledgable and comfortable traversing the various sections.
GIMNEPIWO

Return to The Umpire Corner