Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Slapper hit on throw down

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by progapanda » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Runner on first, lefty/slapper takes a pitch and jogs halfway to the pitchers circle, runner on first steals, catcher throws down to second but drills the batter in the back. Batter is out? Runner back to first? I saw this this past weekend when switching fields and couldn't stay to see what the outcome was.
progapanda
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Unless judged an errant throw that would have resulted in no possible play (possible as described), you are correct; batter is out for interference, all runners return to last base touched at time of the interference.

There is no special privilege added to a batter that chooses slapping, or any other batting style. While in that batter's box, may attempt to contact the pitch or hold the position while not actively interfering; once out of the batter's box, simply may not interfere, actively or passively, intentionally or unintentionally.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BearFlagFan » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:52 am

UmpSteve wrote:There is no special privilege added to a batter that chooses slapping, or any other batting style. While in that batter's box, may attempt to contact the pitch or hold the position while not actively interfering; once out of the batter's box, simply may not interfere, actively or passively, intentionally or unintentionally.

UmpSteve drops mike, walks off stage.

Seriously there isn't anything to add or any what-if scenario that isn't covered by that explanation.
BearFlagFan

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 am

Disagree ... The OP says the slapper took a pitch, it doesn't say whether the pitch was or wasn't strike 3 or how many outs there were ... Assuming there were fewer than two outs at the time of the pitch and this was strike 3; if in the Umpires judgement this was an attempt to break up a double play the runner closest to home would be declared out.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:40 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Disagree ... The OP says the slapper took a pitch, it doesn't say whether the pitch was or wasn't strike 3 or how many outs there were ... Assuming there were fewer than two outs at the time of the pitch and this was strike 3; if in the Umpires judgement this was an attempt to break up a double play the runner closest to home would be declared out.

That is an enormous stretch that intelligent umpire wouldn't consider. It also takes a helluva few assumptive twists that were not presented in the OP
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:34 am

RE MTR

For some reason my computer is not allowing me to reply with quote ... So:

Ump Steve gave his response and BearFlagFan said " Seriously there isn't anything to add or any what-if scenario that isn't covered by that explanation. "

I gave my " what if scenario " :
" Assuming there were fewer than two outs at the time of the pitch and this was strike 3; if in the Umpires judgement this was an attempt to break up a double play the runner closest to home would be declared out."

And you say " That is an enormous stretch that intelligent umpire wouldn't consider. It also takes a helluva few assumptive twists that were not presented in the OP "

In reading the OP you were not told the count or how many outs there were or whether a pitch that was taken was a ball or a strike ... You assumed that the pitch was a ball just because it was taken ? Really ? Slappers never take strike 3 ? There is a 66% chance that there are fewer than 2 outs ... How many slappers after taking a pitch jog half way to the pitchers circle ? If it wasn't a slapper and they took strike 3 with fewer than 2 outs, stepped out of the box in front of the catcher attempting to throw out a runner and interfered, what would you have ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by MTR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:RE MTR

For some reason my computer is not allowing me to reply with quote ... So:

I run into the same problem every now and then.

Ump Steve gave his response and BearFlagFan said " Seriously there isn't anything to add or any what-if scenario that isn't covered by that explanation. "

I gave my " what if scenario " :
" Assuming there were fewer than two outs at the time of the pitch and this was strike 3; if in the Umpires judgement this was an attempt to break up a double play the runner closest to home would be declared out."

And you say " That is an enormous stretch that intelligent umpire wouldn't consider. It also takes a helluva few assumptive twists that were not presented in the OP "

In reading the OP you were not told the count or how many outs there were or whether a pitch that was taken was a ball or a strike ... You assumed that the pitch was a ball just because it was taken ? Really ? Slappers never take strike 3 ? There is a 66% chance that there are fewer than 2 outs ... How many slappers after taking a pitch jog half way to the pitchers circle ? If it wasn't a slapper and they took strike 3 with fewer than 2 outs, stepped out of the box in front of the catcher attempting to throw out a runner and interfered, what would you have ?

Yes, I read this more as a challenge to Steve's response which based upon the OP, was dead-on accurate and there is nothing more to add. Any information not offered in an OP is considered irrelevant when ruling on case plays. Adding to and/or changing the OP is another scenario which should not be linked to the OP, but addressed separately.

Sorry for the confusion
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner