Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Paid coaches or parent coaches

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 am

If you pay a travel coach a penny in salary, you are paying too much.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:36 am

Sam wrote:If you pay a travel coach a penny in salary, you are paying too much.

Cant even imagine the cajones it would take to be a parent coach and asking for salary, or travel expenses. You are going anyway.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TravelINDad99 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:14 pm

Yes I agree about a paid parent coach. I have seen a couple teams where the Coach doesn't have to pay for his daughter, but to me it's the same thing as being paid.

When I think of "Paid Coaches" I am referring to coaches who have no daughter or personal ties to anyone on the team. Coaches that have been a part of the organization or others like it and have experience running A level teams. Have the ability to teach the skills being taught at the next level along with the mental aspect of the game without the biases that come along with being a parent. Coaches that have the ability to not only prepare the kids but also help the parents during the recruitment process.

If my DD can learn to be a complete softball player and earn her way on a college team with some scholarship $$ to help pay for her education then I will be rewarded in the end :D Not to mention playing some great quality travel ball along the way.
A leader is not someone who will do good and look down at others; a leader is someone who will do good and help others who can't.
TravelINDad99

by PDad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Define "Paid"
Are you talking about coaches that actually get a check or coaches that have travel expenses paid by the team?
When my kid played and I coached I still paid dues and travel expenses. Like you said, I was going one way or another.
Now that my kid is gone if they cover my hotel does that make me a paid coach?

No, you're still an amateur. ;) :lol: Just kidding, but technically correct...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:16 pm

TravelINDad99 wrote:Yes I agree about a paid parent coach. I have seen a couple teams where the Coach doesn't have to pay for his daughter, but to me it's the same thing as being paid.

When I think of "Paid Coaches" I am referring to coaches who have no daughter or personal ties to anyone on the team. Coaches that have been a part of the organization or others like it and have experience running A level teams. Have the ability to teach the skills being taught at the next level along with the mental aspect of the game without the biases that come along with being a parent. Coaches that have the ability to not only prepare the kids but also help the parents during the recruitment process.

If my DD can learn to be a complete softball player and earn her way on a college team with some scholarship $$ to help pay for her education then I will be rewarded in the end :D Not to mention playing some great quality travel ball along the way.

The mere fact that a person is getting paid doesn't come close to assuring you that you are receiving what you describe above. In fact, the paid travel coaches I know have only one redeeming quality......connections/reputation. They don't teach your kid a thing.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:56 pm

I disagree with Sam on this My dd's travel coach Tom Pia who is also a great hs coach( with a rival hs) was a great teaching coach as well. His teaching had more to do with playing at the next level then his connections
jonriv

by Gone in 2.6 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm

From 16's on, we had our dd on teams with unpaid, non parent coaches. I found that to be ideal.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by TravelINDad99 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:37 am

Sam wrote:The mere fact that a person is getting paid doesn't come close to assuring you that you are receiving what you describe above. In fact, the paid travel coaches I know have only one redeeming quality......connections/reputation. They don't teach your kid a thing.

I agree that just because it is a paid coach doesn't guarantee anything, and it's unfortunate about your experience with paid coaches. My DD's organization and others like it that I am referring to actual have a solid reputation for developing strong players. This is why we were attracted to the organization and worth traveling across the state line to be a part of it.

I am not expecting to just hand my DD to a couple coaches and expect them to get her a full ride to Alabama. The resources are available along with being able to compete at a high level to possibly provide an opportunity for my DD to reach the next level.

I have had a few years with parent ran teams and even ran my own team. This was great because it provided my DD with an opportunity to play with friends and learn the game while developing a bit along the way when she was 11, 12 & 13. Now she is going into high school and wants to take it to the next level. I didn't see any parent ran teams that were providing what this organization offers in my area.
A leader is not someone who will do good and look down at others; a leader is someone who will do good and help others who can't.
TravelINDad99

by catcherdad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Nonparent paid coaches typically means: (1) expenses are paid - gas, hotel, flight, and meals, (2) some flat fee per weekend - $100-200. I have never seen a nonparent non paid coach who does not receive expenses. They may be out there, but it is the exception. There are some who do not take the flat fee per weekend. Their regular job pays them enough. Some also supplement their income with batting or fielding lessons. Other programs pay coaches to help run a tourney -- a couple of hundred dollars.

This was the standard on two solid programs who sent teams regularly to ASA A Nationals and PGF in Texas. There is not a lot of money in softball to pay coaches any wage even coming close to the federal minimum wage. If you don't offer former players and current high school coaches and teachers a basic wage, they will not be able to coach for your program.
catcherdad

by jonriv » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:45 am

The "paid" tb coaches I knew of got their travel expense and meals, as well as a modest stipend. This "pay" barely covered the cost of their time. There are few, if any that are enriching themselves by being tb coaches.

Even hs coaches receive pretty minimal pay(frankly, short of major programs most college coaches, especially assistants, make very little
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions