Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

How should this be scored?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 am

Here's the situation:

Runner on third- one out.

Batter hits a wounded quail that hits the ground befor the second baseman- ball bounces off fielder's chest. Runner on third breaks for teh plate. 2B alertly throws home and nails runner. In the meantime- batter reached first base before throw was made
jonriv

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 am

If your kid is pitching it's an E-4.
If your kid is hitting its an RBI single.
Scorekeeping 101 :lol:

What happened to the bird?
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 am

Trophy Hunter wrote:If your kid is pitching it's an E-4.
If your kid is hitting its an RBI single.
Scorekeeping 101 :lol:

What happened to the bird?

College level

Showed in live stats as a single with an out at home

boxscore showed it as a FC

When seeing the video-not so sure?? Definitely no error on 2b- very wierd play
jonriv

by Sam » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:44 am

Its a FC.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:58 am

Sam wrote:Its a FC.

That's what I thought originally- questioned it when I actually saw the video. Sucks when the runner gets a bad break. It is what it is.
jonriv

by MavFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:08 pm

jonriv wrote:
Sam wrote:Its a FC.

That's what I thought originally- questioned it when I actually saw the video. Sucks when the runner gets a bad break. It is what it is.

I disagree, I would call it a single if the batter runner had reached first before the throw home. That is bad base running, not the choice of the fielder to get the out at home in lieu of the out at first. I would equate it to a ball hit up the middle where the 2B or SS keeps the ball on the infield, and a runner, originally at second rounds third too far and gets picked off, bad base running, (or coaching depending on your perspective), but not the choice of the fielder to get the out at third rather than the out at first.
MavFan

by Fredegar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 pm

MavFan wrote:I disagree, I would call it a single if the batter runner had reached first before the throw home. That is bad base running, not the choice of the fielder to get the out at home in lieu of the out at first. I would equate it to a ball hit up the middle where the 2B or SS keeps the ball on the infield, and a runner, originally at second rounds third too far and gets picked off, bad base running, (or coaching depending on your perspective), but not the choice of the fielder to get the out at third rather than the out at first.

This is not a gray area or judgment thing. If a preceding runner is thrown out BEFORE reaching the next base, it's ruled a FC for the batter. Yes, it might be bad base-running, but it's still a FC, by rule. In your example above, where your runner at 2B rounds 3B too far and gets picked off, that's different because the runner made it to the next base and got "picked off" afterwards. So yes, score that a single, ONLY IF the infielder had no legitimate play on the batter-runner at 1st.
Fredegar

by rdelawder12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Fredegar wrote:
MavFan wrote:I disagree, I would call it a single if the batter runner had reached first before the throw home. That is bad base running, not the choice of the fielder to get the out at home in lieu of the out at first. I would equate it to a ball hit up the middle where the 2B or SS keeps the ball on the infield, and a runner, originally at second rounds third too far and gets picked off, bad base running, (or coaching depending on your perspective), but not the choice of the fielder to get the out at third rather than the out at first.

This is not a gray area or judgment thing. If a preceding runner is thrown out BEFORE reaching the next base, it's ruled a FC for the batter. Yes, it might be bad base-running, but it's still a FC, by rule. In your example above, where your runner at 2B rounds 3B too far and gets picked off, that's different because the runner made it to the next base and got "picked off" afterwards. So yes, score that a single, ONLY IF the infielder had no legitimate play on the batter-runner at 1st.

Only way for this at bat to result in a single, is if the ball traveled to 1b then to home, otherwise the explanation above is spot on! Besides, who wants credit for a bloop single in front of the 2b, JK, lol...
rdelawder12

by MavFan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 pm

rdelawder12 wrote:
Fredegar wrote:

Only way for this at bat to result in a single, is if the ball traveled to 1b then to home, otherwise the explanation above is spot on! Besides, who wants credit for a bloop single in front of the 2b, JK, lol...

In the situation listed above the fielder did not appear to have a legitimate play on the batter-runner on first. If the fielder fields the ball, looked at first, maybe even turns to first, realizes there is no play, then the runner from third breaks home, this isn't a fielders choice.

14.2.11 Fielder’s Choice: A fielder fielding a ground ball and
attempting to put out a preceding base runner rather than the
batter-runner at first when a throw to first base would have put
out the batter-runner.
MavFan

by PDad » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:03 pm

MavFan wrote:
rdelawder12 wrote:
Fredegar wrote:

In the situation listed above the fielder did not appear to have a legitimate play on the batter-runner on first. If the fielder fields the ball, looked at first, maybe even turns to first, realizes there is no play, then the runner from third breaks home, this isn't a fielders choice.

14.2.11 Fielder’s Choice: A fielder fielding a ground ball and
attempting to put out a preceding base runner rather than the
batter-runner at first when a throw to first base would have put
out the batter-runner.

That is the oversimplified (i.e. incomplete) definition of FC. Section 7 has the complete guidelines.

SECTION 7—FIELDER’S CHOICE
A fielder’s choice is credited in the following situations:
14.7.1 To a batter:
14.7.1.1 When a ground ball is put in play and any preceding runner is out on the hit or would have been out had no error occurred.
14.7.1.2 When a ground ball is put in play and the lead runner is safe, but the batter would have been out had the initial play gone to first base.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions