Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Quality JUCO Programs

What's on your mind?

by bubbabean » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Follow-up topic to "Walk-on Opportunities Realistic?"...................

Preface of previous thread was whether or not walk-on opportunties at DI and DII schools really ever amount to anything. A couple of contibutors offered that my DD might have better luck seeking out a good JUCO program that might still have 2013 class athletic scholarship $ available and could potentially lead to opportunities at four-year schools.

With this in mind, I would love to hear from fellow bucketeers what their experience is (DDs, friends' DDS, players they have coached, etc.) with the whole JUCO softball experience and where it may have led to. I would be particularly appreciative of recommendations of strong JUCO programs, regardless of state (and perhaps schools that they have traditionally graduated softball athletes to). We are in SoCal and as many, if not all, of you are aware, Cal JUCOs do not offer athletic scholarship money. This is not to say that DD wouldn't consider playing for a Cal JUCO, just that she and I would like to be more knowledgeable of the entire landscape before proceeding.

Thank you for any advice and information you may be able to provide.
bubbabean

by freetacos » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I have some experience with a few jucos around the south Texas area. Blinn College in Brenham, TX and San Jac Jr College in south Houston are typically stong softball programs. I see many of the girls going to smaller D-1 schools that they might have overlooked when in the recruiting process. Jucos here have money to spend..just not as many scholarships as a D1.
It can be a good start especially if the kid needs some transition time to become a successful student athlete.

good luck to your kid

ft
freetacos

by Comp » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:22 pm

bubba, PM sent to you.
Comp

by arkansassoftball » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:21 pm

One of the most successful Juco programs is Butler Community College in Kansas. The whole program is built around getting their players Division I opportunities. This season alone their Sophomore class already has 5 players signed to OKLAHOMA, ARKANSAS, CREIGHTON and INDIANA ST, plus several others who have Division I offers. They had like 4 or 5 sign Division I last year and like 7 the year before. I was told they ranked in the Top 5 Nationally for Team GPA last year. They hired a new assistant coach last year who coaches one of the better travelball teams out of Oklahoma and it has helped them get even more exposure for their players. I heard they already have a few 2014s verballed, which is impressive for a Juco.
arkansassoftball

by coach_ray » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:08 am

Florida has several top JUCO programs that offer full rides and have great reputations for getting their players signed to DI and DII programs. Here is a link that will help you with your research. Just pick up the telephone and call some of the head coaches. They will be more than happy to talk to you.

http://www.thefcsaa.com/athletics/fast-pitch-softball
coach_ray

by ajaywill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

There are several strong JC programs in Arizona as well.

Yavapai College in Prescott
Eastern Arizona College in Thatcher
Arizona Western College in Yuma
Central Arizona College in Coolidge

I know that some of these programs have had players from California on their rosters in the past. If I remember correctly, each of these schools also have on campus dorms for players to live in.
ajaywill

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Kelly Ford left Mt. Sac for CSUF, but still a good JUCO program:

http://athletics.mtsac.edu/sports/sball/index
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:13 pm

I can think of a few players that have gone on from a Cal JC to a 4-year school:
- Pitcher went from Mt. Sac to a D1 in Texas.
- Pitcher went from Fullerton & Santiago Canyon to an NAIA in OK.
- Corner infielder was recruited from Cypress to Toledo (D1).

Cypress has a strong softball program - they've won the state title the past 3 years.

Look at the college rosters - they usually show the previous school. I checked 5 schools:
- CSU Fullerton has 3 players from Mt. SAC, Orange Coast (1 yr) and Yavapai (AZ).
- CSU Long Beach has 2 from Mt. SAC and 1 from Antelope Valley.
- Cal Poly SLO has 1 from Mt. SAC.

From an academic standpoint, JCs like Orange Coast and Goldenwest have had a lot of success in the past counseling students to take the right classes so they can transfer into a 4-year as a junior and graduate in just 2 more years. However, I've heard for the last couple years the JCs have been impacted, so it may be difficult to get all the classes you need each semester.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm

PDad wrote:From an academic standpoint, JCs like Orange Coast and Goldenwest have had a lot of success in the past counseling students to take the right classes so they can transfer into a 4-year as a junior and graduate in just 2 more years.

I can guarantee you that Cypress does not help in the counceling area to guide the students in the right academic direction. But, with any JUCO, it needs to be the student that makes sure they are taking the classes needed to transfer. I know way too many kids that take the coahces recommended classes and then do not have what it takes to transfer.
Sftbll4ever

by PDad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:
PDad wrote:From an academic standpoint, JCs like Orange Coast and Goldenwest have had a lot of success in the past counseling students to take the right classes so they can transfer into a 4-year as a junior and graduate in just 2 more years.

I can guarantee you that Cypress does not help in the counceling area to guide the students in the right academic direction. But, with any JUCO, it needs to be the student that makes sure they are taking the classes needed to transfer. I know way too many kids that take the coahces recommended classes and then do not have what it takes to transfer.

I specifically mentioned OCC and Goldenwest because I've periodically seen stories about the success of their Transfer Centers. The OCC website boasts "For the past decade, Orange Coast College has transferred more students to four-year colleges and universities than any other community college in Southern California. We offer courses that fulfill lower division (freshman and sophomore) general education and major requirements in most areas of study. At Orange Coast, you can complete your freshman and sophomore coursework, then transfer to the college or university of your choice......as a junior!"

Unfortunately, some coaches at all levels - HS, JC and universities - provide bad academic advice. Those coaches are often more concerned about their player's eligibility for the season than their longterm being.

To be fair, quite a few students are behind academically and have to take remedial classes. They simply are not prepared and/or ready to start taking the classes they need to graduate from a college in 4 years.

I agree the ultimate responsibility is with the student. Most/many JCs - including Cypress - have resources available to help them (e.g. a Transfer Center), but the students have to take advantage of it. They need to recognize which resource is better able to help them in the long run.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions