Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

USA Preps/Mizuno camp/showcase

What's on your mind?

by pitcher97mom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:10 am

Anyone familiar with their 1 day recruiting camps and 2 day individual showcase? Looking for info if anyone has any experience with this.
Thanks! ;)
pitcher97mom
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sharktank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes, I do know of somebody that attended. I actually talked to the people doing the camp before as well. Sounds impressive but I think I sniffed out the rat! They had a camp in Long Beach recently. They advertised that a bunch of schools were going to be there. It was going to be an all day affair (something like 7:00 in the morning until 7:00 at night)! The morning portion of the camp was jumping,timed running on the bases and 3-4 ground balls at short or outfield (whatever your position may be) 7-8 swings off of a pitching machine and then lunch. They would then play games in the afternoon. The problem based on the above is, what coaches want to watch this? And, there was no tournament that weekend for schools to follow players into the weekend. This in my opinion, this is some kind of "scam" to try and sell you a "skills video" for way too much money. They quoted something like $499 for the camp and video. Never gave an option of the camp only (which I heard was an option at $150). So do the math for the rest! I asked the person how my DD was invited and he told me that they were "nominated" and that he pulled her from a list of 400 girls that were sent e-mails inviting them to the camp! I did not like what I heard (I did at first until I started asking questions) so I declined.

Back to my friend! They ended up going to the camp. They were very disappointed in the lack of schools that came out. Last I spoke to him, they were going to try and get a refund (good luck). BE AWARE! Judge for yourself by the videos they have produced. In the video they film you taking 3-4 ground balls, and 5-7 swings! What school can judge you at a skills camp on just that alone? It was just to produce a video IMO!

Sounds like it could be a good concept! They need to lower the prices. They need to hold the camp on a Friday before a tournament (I think the Allisters have this market cornered) when schools are actually in town. They need to disclose that the real purpose of this camp is to sell you a video! Allisters I think charge $150 per player and it is almost a guarantee there be at least 30 schools (big Div.1 and others around the country) attending the camp. They scout teams and invite players based off of their own scouting. Not a SPAM e-mail. They have a coach hitting ground balls (your daughter will end up with at least 20-30 challenging ground balls) and you will get 20-30 swings off of live pitching and then they have scrimmage games. It is very fast paced and at the end of the day, the cream rises to the top and many girl's get exposed! I just don't see this happening in this format.

$150 for a skills video is probably worth it. There are plenty of people offering this. I would suggest until they iron some kinks out and improve the exposure part, I would have your DD work her tail end off and try and make an Allister camp or do it the old fashion way, contact the schools she is interested in, send them a schedule and make sure she is playing for a team that will be attending all the showcases! This is just my opinion!

Good luck!

quote="pitcher97mom"]Anyone familiar with their 1 day recruiting camps and 2 day individual showcase? Looking for info if anyone has any experience with this.
Thanks! ;)[/quote]
sharktank

by Mr. Case Batbuster » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:27 pm

My daughter tried out with a So Cal team and one of the coaches was a rep for USAPREPS.COM. He gave the impression that one advantage of playing for his team was his connection with USApreps.com and, therefore, his contacts with college coaches. From speaking with him and doing a little research, here's what I think.

USApreps.com has been a recruiting service for baseball for a while and added softball this year. They seem to be doing the right things (linking up with Mizuno and Jennie Finch etc). I guess the best way to find out if their service is worth the money is to ask around the baseball community. (Something I haven't done.)

The concept does seem good. But realize, they are a business first. Since they are new to softball, they may need more time to draw the college coaches they claim will show to their scouting clinics/tournaments. I noticed they have different pricing plans and they all revolve around recruiting websites, videos etc. What I'm not sure about is if the service includes access to the recruiting clinics/tournaments.
Mr. Case Batbuster
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jessie2013 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:53 pm

I actually went to the one in Long Beach. It was long but it was fun. There weren't as many coaches there as I wanted but I did see some. I've been to the Allister's camp as well. They are very different from each other. I will say I didn't see anywhere close to 30 coaches at the Allister's last camp either. Also, the guy at USA Preps pointed out theirs last longer because it is on one field and everybody else uses more than that and coaches can only watch one field at a time. With the video and coaches email access and webpage I think it was worth it overall. I think both of them are good.
jessie2013

by usapreps.com » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Thank you all for your input!

Our Long Beach camp was quite successful in many regards! About a dozen 2012's in attendance established relationships with schools and got looks from them. Mnay more underclassmen are still talking to coaches they met at the camp. Everyone received a video and many are still using it as we speak. Ultimately, however, the camp did not live up to our high standards. We had several issues that day from facilities management to coach attendance and even emergency surgery for one of our integral staff members!

Not to make excuses, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, that camp was NOT indicative of the services we provide. All of the Long Beach participants we’re offered SUBSTANTIAL discounts to another event. I MEAN SUBSTANTIAL!!!!

We have a full schedule of upcoming events throughout the USA. We would love to have the opportunity to have a dialogue with anyone that is remotely interested. We will give you the straight scoop and all the references you can handle!

P. S. “Overwatch” is correct. Our organization originated in baseball. In Long Beach, we did suffer a bit to the "learning curve." Fastpitch culture is FAR different than baseball. That is why we now require ALL parents to sign a code of conduct agreement and ALL coaches to enter into a BINDING contract.

Thank you again for the opportunity to be a part of the Fastpitch community!
usapreps.com

by NumeroUno » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:02 pm

jessie2013 wrote:I actually went to the one in Long Beach. It was long but it was fun. There weren't as many coaches there as I wanted but I did see some. I've been to the Allister's camp as well. They are very different from each other. I will say I didn't see anywhere close to 30 coaches at the Allister's last camp either. Also, the guy at USA Preps pointed out theirs last longer because it is on one field and everybody else uses more than that and coaches can only watch one field at a time. With the video and coaches email access and webpage I think it was worth it overall. I think both of them are good.

Jessie over 100 coaches signed in to the On Deck camp last June in Hemet Ca. I think it was 138 but not positive. Mt Sac in October was packed with schools as well. I was at both of them watching.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by lvtwft » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 pm

I get their emails, and on the bottom they have a lot of schools logos and mention these are the schools that are coming (Arizona, Florida State etc). I looked at the list of schools participating in each camp and most of the ones they listed were not attending. I wrote them and asked why they would put teams in that were not coming but said they were...to say the least their response was not to happy.
He then went in to try to sell me that most kids do not go to big universities and getting my daughter seen by smaller schools would be the best thing to do...
Be it my daughter gets a chance to play softball after high school in a college setting, I would not be taking her to a place like this to get her noticed. I dont agree with the way they try to use the bait and switch, and did not like the response I got when I mentioned to them they should not advertise schools that were not going to their camps like they were...

Ill try the ondeck Jessie...they seem a little more professional.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
lvtwft

Return to Fastpitch Discussions