Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Mizuno Glove steamer Locations and opinions PLEASE

What's on your mind?

by katrayher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:43 pm

OK Guys, got my DD a new glove and she needs it broken in ASAP. I've been reading online about this glove steamer. Any opinions/experience with it. And anyone know any California locations? All I find is back east. TIA
katrayher

by ontheblack » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:01 pm

It may break it in fast, but will shorten the life of the glove.
ontheblack

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Agree. Steaming/ovens/oils/wraps/running over with a car. All bad ideas. They create improper breakin and usually break down some parts of the leather.

Best to use minimal amount of Nakona Leather Treatment, or simliar oil and a lot of catch. Find a pitchers dad that is willing to use a regular mit, he can usually break in even a heavy glove in a week.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tucson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:14 pm

I hear nothing but good things about the steamer. There is a protectant put on it prior to the process.
Here are some reviews -

http://glove-works.getwebs.org/my-revie ... t2566.html
Tucson

by SBD01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 pm

We have had a few steamed. works for us. cal pro sports in rpv has one
SBD01

by Numero dos » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:43 pm

There is Sarge's in uptown Whittier and Monkey Sports in Santa ana that have a steamer. You can feel the difference right away. Don't know anything about it affecting life of the glove.
Numero dos

by absdad » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I got a chance to look at one up close. It is literally a hot dog steamer for the food industry (it's original purpose) with some Mizuno panels put on the sides. It's not rocket science, or anything special. I'm sure the steam does work somewhat, but I can't think anything would be better than breaking one in the old fashioned way. Had a big league SS tell me once, he'd just catch a pitching machine for a couple hours, to break in a new glove.

Treat the glove, and play catch with your kid. ;)
absdad

by katrayher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks guys for helping a old mom out!!!
katrayher

by fastpitch fool » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 am

I've had four gloves steamed. Two about two years ago, and two more about a week ago. I am 100% THRILLED with each glove and the steamer!

I rotate my daughters' gloves and make sure they leave for college with a solid primary and a backup incase there's an issue with the primary. I have retired my ball mallet and my hand hands want to send Mizuno a tip.

The thing I would advise it to find a location where the steamer is used regularly, and ask them to check/fill the water level before they do your mitt.

The sales associate told me their Mizuno Rep told them that anyone who comes in with a Mizuno mitt, gets the glove steamed for free.

Also, we have two steamers at stores close to where I live. One store charges $20 and the other charges $5 for non-Mizuno gloves.
fastpitch fool

by joaquinjunior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 am

Old Skule it bro. a lil oil, and have her use it, a lot!!!
joaquinjunior
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions