Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

12U Bracketologist Ranking - Pre ASA Nationals Updated Poll

by bracketologist » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:24 pm

12U Top Team Ranking (Bracketologist) – PRE NATIONALS UPDATED JULY RANKINGS

It has been another great softball year. Below is my last breakdown for Nationals. Good luck to all of the teams and everyone have a safe trip.

Excluded the old Aztec & Strike Force Teams – too many changes to accurately rank.
#19. San Diego Aztecs
#13. Strike Force 98 (Jaquish)

:mrgreen: = ASA Nationals Qualified!

Group A - The Favorite Top Contenders – Going to Nationals to win it all. Have the ability to survive a hard bracket and still win it all.

OC Batbusters 98 :mrgreen:
Grade: A
Previous: #4
Tournament Wins:
12U ASA So Cal Champions - 1st Place 5/30/2011
12U Sparkler Champions 1st Place 7/2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: The best big game pitcher with a solid defense in 12U. Coaching looks fine to me. They have confidence and a number of very good athletes – this team is not bracket dependent. Team needs to score some runs because as So Cal State champions they will have the biggest target on their back.

Victory USA 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #3
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: The favorite at Nationals because of the coaching. Not the most talented Campbell team but very sound team. This year reminds me a bit of the old Lakewood vs. Victory rivalry – wasn’t Lakewood the favorite in 12U but somehow Victory won it all. While Victory was the head of the class as a 1st year 14U but Lakewood won it all?

Firecrackers 98 - Brashear :mrgreen:
Previous: #1
Tournament Wins:
12U Champions St. Paddys Day Blast (Las Vegas) 3-2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: For some reason this team looks like a dominant team when playing up in 14U – seem to lack a bit of big game confidence when playing in 12U. Maybe the most talented 12U team. Playing a maximum of 2 games per day in the winner’s bracket will be a big factor for this team.

Group B+ - The Bracket Dependent Contenders – Can win it all but it will take a bit of bracket luck (i.e., the A teams grouped in the other side of the bracket). Not a Top Contender because they are susceptible to B & C+ teams but they can beat an A team.

Artesia Punishers 98 :mrgreen:
Grade: B+
Previous: #2
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U So Cal Finest St. Paddys 3-2011
1st 12U Las Vegas Valentine's Day Blast 2/2011
1st 12U Firecrackers MDC 5/2011
1st 12U Double Plays Tournament 6/2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: This team needs a solid bracket to contend – can beat one A team but will have trouble beating two in a row. Very susceptible to solid B & C+ teams that don’t commit a lot of errors (i.e., don’t beat themselves). Need to stay in the winners bracket and stay out of ITB.

So Cal Breakers 98 (Sieber) :mrgreen:
Previous: #6
Tournament Wins:
1st 14U TCS Dancing in the Desert 3-2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Like the Punishers this team needs a solid bracket to contend and is very susceptible to “boring B & C+” teams. Not consistent enough to beat two A teams in back to back games.

Group B - The Spoilers – Don’t have enough to win it all but can send an A or B+ team home or to the losers bracket. Playing on Sunday and a solid top ten finish are the ultimate goal.

Team Rawlings 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #5
Wbsite:
Tournament Wins:
1st ASA 12U Turkey Day 11/2010
1st Beat the Heat 4/24/2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: Probably the one team you would rather play on Sunday instead of on Thursday or Friday. While a B+ level team this team will really need to be hot to make the final four. A deep field is not in this teams best interest. If the only thing keeping them from the final four is a B+ team their dream will have come true. Playing on Sunday is their goal.

USA Athletics 98 (Berouty) :mrgreen:
Grade: B
Previous: #7
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: Another back door team – still a bit inconsistent but impressive when on. Like Rawlings, Breakers & Punishers they have had a great year that deserves a top ten finish.

Corona Angels 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #11
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U OC Coastal Classic (Huntington Beach Classic) 1/2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Will play the role of the spoiler – as not the most consistent team. Very susceptible to other B and C+ teams so they will need to stay out of the losers bracket.

OC Batbusters - Briggs (99 majority) :mrgreen:
Previous: #12
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: Will play the role of the spoiler this year and will contend for the title next year. Well coached team that would love to be around on Saturday night.

Firecrackers 99 :mrgreen:
Previous: #10
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U Nemesis Valentine's Tournament 2/2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: They tend to struggle with C and C+ teams that don’t beat themselves. Will most likely be the top contender next year with OCBB Briggs and the SunDevils.

Group C+ - Very good teams that will need to play their A game to make it to Sunday. No C+ team has made the final eight. These teams will cause some pain for a couple of B+ or B teams but not enough to make the final 4. Playing on Sunday is the goal! C+ teams attending Western Nationals or TCS World Series are the favorites!

So Cal Choppers 98 – Vannoy :mrgreen:
Grade: C+
Previous: #17
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: When hitting - beautiful (i.e., a typical Choppers team). Not the best team to play if you have average pitching. Very solid team that should be playing on Saturday afternoon – a top 15 finish would be great.

SoCal Choppers 98 – Black (Fitzgerald) :mrgreen:
Previous: #9
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U USSSA Halloween Havoc Tournament
Bracky Nationals Comments: When hitting - beautiful (i.e., a typical Choppers team). A very consistent team – that when hot can play with anyone. Not a good losers bracket team.

So Cal Breakers Williams
Nationals: Western Nationals Colorado (Top Contender!)
Previous: #35
Tournament Wins:
1st Stars & Stripes Tourney 7/3/2011
1st TCS Thanksgiving Tourn "B" division 11/2010
1st Cal Storm Toys for Tots 12/2011
1st Soto tournament 3/2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: One of the hottest teams right now. A bit up and down but when on dangerous – remind me a bit of the 96 12U Rebels.. Should make final four at Western Nationals in Colorado.

Double Play 98
Nationals: Western Nationals Colorado (Top Contender!)
Previous: #8
Tournament Wins:
1st TCS Dancing in the Desert on 3/12/2011
1st TCS Mothers Day 5/2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: Had the perfect bracket at State to qualify just did not get it done. Maybe playing the “side circuit” hurt a bit? Will be a favorite along with Breakers Williams, and Nemesis 98 at Westerns.

Sun Devils 98/99 (99 majority) :mrgreen:
Previous: #14
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U TCS February Frost 2-2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Probably one of the most underrated teams. Very consistent, great on the bases and they play solid defense. Should contend with Firecrackers 99, and OC Batbusters 99 for the overall title next year!

Cal Cruisers 99–Sievers (99 majority) :mrgreen:
Avg Points Poll: 15.4
Previous: #19 (+4)
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: Very solid team with good coaching. Solid finish would enable them to add the missing pieces for next year.. a bit behind the other top 99s.

Group C - Very good teams that are a bit too hot and cold to be a C+ team (i.e., inconsistent). Playing on Saturday night is the main goal for these teams at Nationals. Those attending Western Nationals will be labeled a top Contender in Colorado!

Nemesis 98
Grade: C
Nationals: Western Nationals Colorado (Top 4 Contender!)
Previous: #16
Tournament Wins:
1st Co-Champions TCS Winters Classic 1-2011
1st 12U TCS Big League Dreams tournament 4-2011

Bracky Nationals Comments: Maybe a C+ team talent wise just seem to have trouble playing two solid games in a row.

So. Cal Hurricanes 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #21 (-5)
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: A bit like the Corona Angles 98 – tend to play better in the big games. Good hitting team with some speed – playing on Saturday night would be an outstanding accomplishment.

American Pastime 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #24
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U TCS Big League Dreams Palm Spring Tournament 4/10/2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Just lack a bit of consistency to be a C+ team – really did a great job in improving this team from fall to spring.

American Athletics (Miles) :mrgreen:
Previous: #20
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U TCS Red, White & Blue tourney 6/2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Really got the most of the talent at hand, need to add a couple of pieces that would make them more consistent.

So Cal Athletics 98 :mrgreen:
Previous: #22
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: Very similar to the SunDevils they compete by making fewer errors and not beating themselves.

Other ranked C teams – some will be contenders at Western Nationals and TCS World Series, while others will be bracket breakers and spoilers. All are solid teams that lack consistency.

Mizuno Pride 98
Nationals: Western Nationals Colorado (Final 8 Contender)
Previous: #18
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U Father's Day Tournament 6/19/2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Just could not get the timely hits to beat the teams going to Alabama. Team has a lot of fight in them.

SoCal Madness 98
Previous: #21
Tournament Wins:
Bracky Nationals Comments: Should be a contender at Westerns. .

Gamers Academy 98
Previous: #31
Tournament Wins:
1st Co-Champions TCS Winter Classic 1-2011
Bracky Nationals Comments: Should be a top 8 contender at Westerns.

Ranked TCS World Series Contenders & Spoilers

Combat Panthers
Nationals: TCS World Series
Previous: #23
Tournament Wins:

American Athletics 99 (McGowan)
Previous: #25
Tournament Wins:

Central Cal Intensity 98
Previous: #28
Tournament Wins:

OC Banzai 98
Previous: #33
Tournament Wins:

Lady Assassins
Previous: #44
Tournament Wins:

Stealth 98 (Palmdale)
Previous: #37
Tournament Wins:
1st 12U Storm USA June Boom tourney

OC Elite Sandoval
Previous: #38
Tournament Wins:

So. Cal Hurricanes - Salas
Previous: #27
Tournament Wins:

Other Ranked ASA Western Nationals Spoilers

Sudden Impact 98
Nationals: Western Nationals Colorado
Previous: #39
Tournament Wins:
11st 12U TCS Stars and Strikes tournament 6/12/11.

st 12UTCS Stars and Strikes tournament 6/12/11.

Corona Eliminators 98
Previous: #29
Tournament Wins:
Pollster Comments:

So Cal Jynx 99
Previous: #32 (0)
Tournament Wins:

Corona Eliminators 99
Previous: #30
Tournament Wins:

Minors Gold 98 (Sharkey)
Previous: #39
Tournament Wins:
Last edited by bracketologist on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 42 times in total.
bracketologist

by lucky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey Bracky and team... nice job... this should provoke some good turkey weekend discussion!

I personally think the Breakers team is 3-4 slots too low, but other than that, this is a good reflection of the current state of 12U in socal.
lucky

by Clamato » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Bracketologist should have some say so with the BCS rankings!

I did not know OC Batbusters had two teams in 99! Does anyone know the name of the managers? I've seen one of the teams and they had some size for being 99. They must be the #24 ranked team.
Clamato

by Jammed » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

I personally think the Breakers team is 3-4 slots too low

No way. Their current status is fair. Like the notes say, easy to scout and pitch around, plus pitch calling is extremely predictable. If the coach turned over pitch calling to the assistant coach who knows far more about handling FP pitchers, then I give them a chance, but that wont happen.

Bob
(edited to needed to attach my name as the coach felt it was cowardly for me to voice an opinion about his pitch calling without putting my name to it)
Last edited by Jammed on Sun May 08, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jammed
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WHAT THE » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey Brackey, you always rank Firecrackers 98 in the top couple spots. Have they ever won any significant tourney? Havent followed them much over the years and I heard they lost a few girls as well as their Head Coach.
WHAT THE

by lucky » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Jammed wrote:
I personally think the Breakers team is 3-4 slots too low

No way. Their current status is fair. Like the notes say, easy to scout and pitch around, plus pitch calling is extremely predictable. If the coach turned over pitch calling to the assistant coach who knows far more about handling FP pitchers, then I give them a chance, but that wont happen.

It sure looked like Breakers put a whuppin' on StrikeForce a couple of weeks ago... maybe I saw it wrong...
lucky

by Spoken Word » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I would give the nod to FC98. They still have what it takes. Now So Cal Breakers 98 should be higher then they are. They seem to find a way to win !!!! They went to Nationals last year not FC98! Luck or not ! Should be a fun season in 12u !!! WORD !!!!!!!
Spoken Word

by TheCloser » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Once you get to a certain level what separates competition are the intangibles. Accordingly, the eye ball test isn't always a good indicator of future success. The last few national champions in 12U had comparable competition but the intangibles carried them to the title.
TheCloser

by bracketologist » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm

Clamato wrote:Bracketologist should have some say so with the BCS rankings!

I did not know OC Batbusters had two teams in 99! Does anyone know the name of the managers? I've seen one of the teams and they had some size for being 99. They must be the #24 ranked team.

Sorry OCBB 99 were on the list twice.... Bad enough that I was confident there were two Victory USA 97 teams in the 14u poll.... :oops: need to stop doing this at work....
bracketologist

by bracketologist » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:18 pm

TheCloser wrote:Once you get to a certain level what separates competition are the intangibles. Accordingly, the eye ball test isn't always a good indicator of future success. The last few national champions in 12U had comparable competition but the intangibles carried them to the title.

Well said...
bracketologist

Next

Return to CA