Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

what is purpose of dropped third strike rule?

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 pm

Uncle Rico wrote:If they didn't give the batter first base on a HBP, maybe your sweet flower would throw one to the ribs of every batter. Just to see if they were smart enough to get out of the way :lol:

I explained that to her... carefully... I catch for her a lot and try not to piss her off.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by aojr03 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:50 am

The ridiculous part of the rule is when the catcher catches the ball cleanly from a pitch in the dirt. The batter still has to the opportunity to run to 1st and the catcher has to throw her out. In that case the pitcher made a good pitch to get the the K, the catcher fielded the ball, and the batter failed.
aojr03

by DonnieS » Sun May 09, 2010 1:46 pm

aojr03 wrote:The ridiculous part of the rule is when the catcher catches the ball cleanly from a pitch in the dirt. The batter still has to the opportunity to run to 1st and the catcher has to throw her out. In that case the pitcher made a good pitch to get the the K, the catcher fielded the ball, and the batter failed.

Pick your battles pal, this rule has been around since 1845 or so. Better use of time is teach the catchers to catch the ball cleanly.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Sun May 09, 2010 4:09 pm

aojr03 wrote:The ridiculous part of the rule is when the catcher catches the ball cleanly from a pitch in the dirt. The batter still has to the opportunity to run to 1st and the catcher has to throw her out. In that case the pitcher made a good pitch to get the the K, the catcher fielded the ball, and the batter failed.

Think about what you are saying. If any fielder "catches" a batted ball "cleanly ... from the dirt", is it a "catch"? I will assume (and hope; otherwise I am wasting the effort) your response is "no".

If that is not a "catch", why would you think that a pitched ball that hits the ground before being controlled by the catcher is a "catch"??
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tcannizzo » Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 pm

ssarge wrote:
That would make the runner at 1st at liability to be put out on a ball not technically put in play. Having a double play on a D3K would seem a bit too advantageous to the defense.

Sounds absolutely right, good thought.

Not sure if I see the logic here. Because it is only valid when 1st base is occupied and there is 2 outs. IOW not in play with 1B occupied and less than 2 outs.
Last edited by tcannizzo on Mon May 10, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

by tcannizzo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Did some searching and thought this made sense:
"For any out, the defense must be in control of the ball. Drop a fly
ball, the batter is not out; drop the ball on a play at first, the
batter-runner is not out; drop the ball on a tag, the runner is not
out. And so on. It is no different on a dropped third strike.
Catching the third strike is a natural thing to require."
author unknown.

Infield Fly Rule is a notable exception, except that it has easily understood logic for the exception.
Tony Cannizzo
Umpire
"May all the close calls go your way"
tcannizzo

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions