Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

what is purpose of dropped third strike rule?

What's on your mind?

by Coach11 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Batter is out regardless of whether ball is caught or dropped with the IFR in effect.
Coach11

by anonlooker » Thu May 06, 2010 6:33 pm

The D3K rule levels the playing field for bad players, as such...

The bad hitter swings at a bad pitch, which is missed by the bad catcher, who makes a bad throw to first, where the bad runner collides with the bad firstbaseman. When the dust finally settles, bad coaches use faulty interpretations to argue the call, parents scream and holler, and hopefully there's a good ump around to sort things out. :lol:
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by coxjj » Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

This is my personal pet peeve for worst rule in softball/baseball. While I hadn't thought about the idea proposed that outs are almost always recorded when a ball is caught or tag is made, I still have a problem with allowing the offense to reach base when they have done nothing to "earn" that right. In all other situations, there is something done by the offense to earn the right to advance to first. They either hit the ball, or have a good enough eye to take four balls or even absorbed the pain of being hit by the pitch. In the case of a D3K, the batter has done nothing but FAIL in their attempt to reach base by either swinging and missing or watching the third strike. To me, it makes about as much sense as letting the batter try to reach first on ANY wild pitch/passed ball like the runners can do. The game would be better off without this rule.
coxjj

by SnocatzDad » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 am

Coach11 wrote:Batter is out regardless of whether ball is caught or dropped with the IFR in effect.

And likewise batter is out whether 3rd strike is dropped or not when 1st base is occupied with less than 2 outs. Your question was what other time is a runner called out when a ball is dropped and I gave you IFR as an example. I guess I don't see why it's so hard to see that they are similar rulings.
SnocatzDad

by Coach11 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:36 am

I gotcha brother....I just meant that unless there are extenuated circumstances (runner on 1st, IFR, intereference) an out is not recorded when a ball has been dropped.
Coach11

by Crabby_Bob » Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 am

To coxjj's point: the defense must play well too. For example, the batter hits an easy ground ball to shortstop, who fields it and makes the throw to first base on time, except nobody is there. The batter isn't successful, he hasn't "earned" the right to first base, therefore, call him out.

No. The game is about good play, fielding, throwing, catching, quickness, hitting away from fielders. The game is setup to require good play from offense and defense.
Last edited by Crabby_Bob on Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by MTR » Fri May 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Or it could be something left over from the game's origin, Rounders. In Rounders, the striker runs to the first post whether they hit the ball or not.
MTR

by coxjj » Fri May 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Crabby_Bob wrote:To coxjj's point: the defense must play well too. For example, the batter hits an easy ground ball to shortstop, who fields it and makes the throw to first base on time, except nobody is there. The batter isn't successful, he hasn't "earned" the right to first base, therefore, call him out.

No. The game is about good play, fielding, throwing, catching, quickness, hitting away from fielders. The game is setup to require good play from offense and defense.

I never said the batter didn't earn the right to first base, I said the the batter didn't earn the right to reach first base. Putting the ball into play allows you the opportunity to get to first. Whether you make it there or not has nothing to do with the right you earned to reach base ... that already occurred when you hit a fair ball. Whether you hit it hard or soft, high or low, right at a fielder or right at no one, and what the defense did to react to it, doesn't do anything to the batter's right to reach base ... it just needs to be a fair ball. All of that enters into determining whether you get to stay there, but not your ability to try to get there in the first place. On a D3K, the offense did NOTHING to earn the right to get there; they totally failed.
coxjj

by DonnieS » Sat May 08, 2010 6:09 am

coxjj wrote:
Crabby_Bob wrote:To coxjj's point: the defense must play well too. For example, the batter hits an easy ground ball to shortstop, who fields it and makes the throw to first base on time, except nobody is there. The batter isn't successful, he hasn't "earned" the right to first base, therefore, call him out.

I never said the batter didn't earn the right to first base, I said the the batter didn't earn the right to reach first base. Putting the ball into play allows you the opportunity to get to first. Whether you make it there or not has nothing to do with the right you earned to reach base ... that already occurred when you hit a fair ball. Whether you hit it hard or soft, high or low, right at a fielder or right at no one, and what the defense did to react to it, doesn't do anything to the batter's right to reach base ... it just needs to be a fair ball. All of that enters into determining whether you get to stay there, but not your ability to try to get there in the first place. On a D3K, the offense did NOTHING to earn the right to get there; they totally failed.

Thats exactly my daughter's point on a hbp. "If she is so dumb that she cant get out of the way of a pitch, how does that give her the right to first base." That's my sweet flower of a darling daughter's opinion, not mine.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Uncle Rico » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 am

If they didn't give the batter first base on a HBP, maybe your sweet flower would throw one to the ribs of every batter. Just to see if they were smart enough to get out of the way :lol:
Uncle Rico

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions