Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Left or Right Handed...or both?

What's on your mind?

by ratz19 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:57 pm

ssarge wrote:
If you can hit left the three steps is to big a plus.

Is 3 steps accurate?

The spatial difference between a LH hitter and RH hitter who are standing in the relatively same place in their respective batters boxes is about 40 inches (assumes the hitter is 6" inside the batters box line.

Slightly more than a step, I would think.

Not to be minimized, but I don't think it is THREE steps.

You sir are mathamatically correct. Three steps is an old wives tale. Takes into account momentum also. Probably closer to two . But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good tale. My apologies
ratz19

by Blind Squirrel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:23 pm

ratz19 wrote:
ssarge wrote:
If you can hit left the three steps is to big a plus.

Is 3 steps accurate?

The spatial difference between a LH hitter and RH hitter who are standing in the relatively same place in their respective batters boxes is about 40 inches (assumes the hitter is 6" inside the batters box line.

Slightly more than a step, I would think.

Not to be minimized, but I don't think it is THREE steps.

You sir are mathamatically correct. Three steps is an old wives tale. Takes into account momentum also. Probably closer to two . But lets not let the truth get in the way of a good tale. My apologies

Aren't the positive affects of momentum mitigated a bit by the fact that its direction is not directly toward first base? Not much but isn't the whole point fractions of a second. The obvious question is what the optimal approach and orientation at contact is that maximizes the ability to get a hit while reaching first the quickest (depending on where the batter is trying to hit the ball).

I would now like to congratulate myself on the closest thing to a hitting post I've made in 8 years.

Ted Williams Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ssarge » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 pm

TWS:

If you REALLY want to look at it, most elite hitters have a completely unweighted rear foot at contact. Not at all unusual to see them step across the plate after contact with the rear foot. More common than not, actually.

Meaning the LH hitter starts with her left foot stepping towards third.

And the RH hitter starts with her foot moving towards the 1B line.

Turthfully, I'd say that the difference in time because of this first inadvertant step (on a full swing) comes awfully close to mitigating any distance differential.

Slapping, of course, is a different matter. But on a full swing, using mechanics commonly associated with many elite hitters, it's pretty darned close, IMO.

best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by Fanof12 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:38 pm

There are other advantages to being lefty besides being closer to first base.

- Since most pitchers are right handed you get the advantage of the ball coming into you at an angle.

- You can drag bunt down the first base line.

- Some pitchers hate throwing to lefties resulting in walks or fat pitches.

My DD's hitting coach does not recommend switch hitting. I was a switch hitter in baseball and I'm not sure I see why not.
Fanof12

by softballperformance » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 am

Being a left-handed is a lot more valued in our game than in baseball simply because of the shorter distances.

Softball is a faster game and when you get a chance to save 2-3 steps on each ball you hit (because you are on the left side), it does make a difference over time.

Being a left-handed hitter is an asset in our game. If she skilled enough, i would focus all my energy on that side.

My opinion.

Coach Marc :)
softballperformance

by DON'TNONUTIN » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks for all the good advice. You confirmed my thoughts. Now I need to find a way to have her coach let her hit LH while she's working on it. It is easy to swing back around to the higher production side.
DON'TNONUTIN

by SnocatzDad » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:27 pm

Fanof12 wrote:There are other advantages to being lefty besides being closer to first base.

- Since most pitchers are right handed you get the advantage of the ball coming into you at an angle.

- You can drag bunt down the first base line.

- Some pitchers hate throwing to lefties resulting in walks or fat pitches.

My DD's hitting coach does not recommend switch hitting. I was a switch hitter in baseball and I'm not sure I see why not.

I'd add less likely to make inadvertant contact with a short bunt from the left side to the list of advantages as well.
SnocatzDad

by HEADCASE » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:17 pm

I definitely feel there is something to the comment about the dominate eye thing. DD was a "righty" that for the most part always struggled at was inconsistent. Then we switched her to the left side and it is like night and day.
HEADCASE

by dittoz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:43 am

Let's also not forget that in baseball, you don't have the same curve - screw potential that you do with fastpitch pitchers. Softball pitchers can bend the ball (at least) 4 different ways which takes the lefty-on-righty confrontation down a notch when it comes to logistics as compared to baseball. Thus, the switch hitter who can come up from either side based on the pitchers arm is nullified in softball.

Now that being said, the idea of a non-slapping hitter from the left side being faster is also overcome a bit by what Scott mentioned earlier with regard to momentum. A lefty has a fair amount of momentum tracking slightly away from 1b which must be re-directed before she can accelerate. How long does this take? Admittedly it's probably not very long, but at top speed, how long does it take for this runner to cover the 3-4' of distance that they have gained from the left side?

Not very long either from what I can see...

-curt
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by SnocatzDad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:06 pm

dittoz wrote:Let's also not forget that in baseball, you don't have the same curve - screw potential that you do with fastpitch pitchers. Softball pitchers can bend the ball (at least) 4 different ways which takes the lefty-on-righty confrontation down a notch when it comes to logistics as compared to baseball. Thus, the switch hitter who can come up from either side based on the pitchers arm is nullified in softball.

Now that being said, the idea of a non-slapping hitter from the left side being faster is also overcome a bit by what Scott mentioned earlier with regard to momentum. A lefty has a fair amount of momentum tracking slightly away from 1b which must be re-directed before she can accelerate. How long does this take? Admittedly it's probably not very long, but at top speed, how long does it take for this runner to cover the 3-4' of distance that they have gained from the left side?

Not very long either from what I can see...

-curt

I'd disagree on the momentum. Batting right handed or left handed there is some linear momentum toward pitcher. Batting RH there is rotational momentum turning away from 1B that has to be reversed to run towards 1B.

LH hitters have the ability to continue their rotation in the direction of the swing and run towards 1B.

Maybe bunting towards 1B there is a little momentum advantage from the RH side because you could pursue the ball and continue in that direction,
SnocatzDad

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions