Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

UNIV XYZ Looking for 2017..........

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by SouthPaw_Dad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Why don't colleges advertise what positions they are looking for by year? Wouldn't it be easier for everybody involved if this was made public instead of kept secret? Could somebody please clue me into how the "inner circle" works.
SouthPaw_Dad
"If it ain't Left - It ain't Right"
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SouthPaw_Dad » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:39 am

Spazsdad wrote:Might fall under the rules regarding not discussing recruits before they have signed.

Not sure I follow Spazsdad? I am not saying change any of the rules regarding communication with young athletes. I am just suggesting general announcements that give players/coaches "official" and "timely" notice "visible to all" regarding what positions they are looking for. If I were to guess - I would think it has something to do with loosing revenue from camps because attendance would drop when players move on to other institutions.
SouthPaw_Dad
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:11 am

Not sure why coaches would do this???? What if they are looking to replace or pressure a current player at that position? As stated on this site many time- many teams recruit(after pitchers and catchers) only middle infielders and have them change positions.
jonriv

by SouthPaw_Dad » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:51 am

jonriv wrote:Not sure why coaches would do this???? What if they are looking to replace or pressure a current player at that position? As stated on this site many time- many teams recruit(after pitchers and catchers) only middle infielders and have them change positions.

John please help me better understand this - if a coach is trying to pressure a current player then what better way than to advertise the opening "publicly"? I can't imagine anything more motivating than seeing your position being advertised.

Also, just to clarify I was thinking more about recruits than current roster when I asked this question - so if you want to exclude the current roster in your response maybe that would help you better understand the nature of my question.

As for your second comment - can you confirm that only pitchers, catchers and middle infielders are recruited by colleges? I guess the final category to add to that list would be "SouthPaws" since that would get you all the remaining positions (outfielders, first base).

Thanks so much for your response!
SouthPaw_Dad
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:18 am

Talking with college coaches at showcases the first two questions they ask is GPA and SAT scores. Then they look for a year, Majors are in 18 and 19's, Mid majors are usually 17 and 18, JUCO are usually 16. Then it's usually pitchers and catchers. Followed by general info like; big hitting, slap hitters, speed and athleticism. Most of the time the coaches are not looking at a specific year-position (except pitchers and catchers) so to post they are looking for a specific position would eliminate potential candidates form their radar without cause.
swells9232

by SouthPaw_Dad » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 pm

swells9232 wrote:Talking with college coaches at showcases the first two questions they ask is GPA and SAT scores. Then they look for a year, Majors are in 18 and 19's, Mid majors are usually 17 and 18, JUCO are usually 16. Then it's usually pitchers and catchers. Followed by general info like; big hitting, slap hitters, speed and athleticism. Most of the time the coaches are not looking at a specific year-position (except pitchers and catchers) so to post they are looking for a specific position would eliminate potential candidates form their radar without cause.

Thanks so much Swell - when you say Majors does that mean D1's are focusing on 2018 and 2019 recruits now? Mid-Majors D2's and some DIII's are focusing on 2017 and 2018 recruits? I appreciate the responses and have a great Thanksgiving Holiday.
SouthPaw_Dad
SouthPaw_Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Majors are usually in one of the Big 5 conferences - SEC, Pac 12 etc. Mid Majors are other D1's in smaller conferences, but mid majors are recruiting similar to DII and D III (though DIII does not have any athletic money). You are also correct 16 = 2016 graduates, 17 = 2017 etc.
swells9232

Return to College Recruiting